• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Setup for best Big Sky Tourney in 10 yrs?

weberwildcat

for me this could be the best big sky tourney in 10 yrs for a number of reasons, with the most obvoius being the new format.

• first big sky tourney on the weekend since 2002
  • it is now more feasible for road fans to travel to the host site
  • 7 teams now in the tourney
  • all 7 play at the host site for first time in 11 yrs
  • could be best tourney since 2003 (in my opinion: wsu vs ewu, 1 pt wsu win on espn in front of 10,000+)
  • 2 dominant teams in wsu and griz for 2nd consecutive season
  • if wsu and griz meet in the final (would be 3rd time in 4 yrs & 4th bsct meeting in 4 yrs)
  • will cherry is back and wsu dead eye 3 pt shooter bamforth's last big sky games
  • 2 potential in-state rivalry games in the semis

as you can see i am expecting a great tourney!
this potential 4th meeting between griz and weber in 4 yrs is pretty crazy when you realize the 2 have only met 11 times in 50 yrs.

weberwildcat said:
for me this could be the best big sky tourney in 10 yrs for a number of reasons, with the most obvoius being the new format.

• first big sky tourney on the weekend since 2002
  • it is now more feasible for road fans to travel to the host site
  • 7 teams now in the tourney
  • all 7 play at the host site for first time in 11 yrs
  • could be best tourney since 2003 (in my opinion: wsu vs ewu, 1 pt wsu win on espn in front of 10,000+)
  • 2 dominant teams in wsu and griz for 2nd consecutive season
  • if wsu and griz meet in the final (would be 3rd time in 4 yrs & 4th bsct meeting in 4 yrs)
  • will cherry is back and wsu dead eye 3 pt shooter bamforth's last big sky games
  • 2 potential in-state rivalry games in the semis

You forgot to mention the BSC women's tournament going on in Missoula as well. Wall-to-wall basketball Wednesday thru Saturday. 'Course, you Weber's probably don't remember women's basketball. :lol: :lol:

as you can see i am expecting a great tourney!
this potential 4th meeting between griz and weber in 4 yrs is pretty crazy when you realize the 2 have only met 11 times in 50 yrs.

I am really excited about the teams this year. I, for one, will be attending the a few of the games that don't include the Griz. Really excited on how NAU and MSU play.

weberwildcat said:
[*] 2 potential in-state rivalry games in the semis[/list]

Unfortunately this one can't happen for both teams...if MSU and SUU both win Thursday then the Griz would take on SUU and WSU would take on MSU. As a Griz fan I really hope MSU wins and is matched up in the semis with WSU (if they win)...This would mean that UND was upset of course by SUU. No matter how you look at it, its going to be a tough road to win the crown

If Montana plays on Saturday, the place will be filled to the rafters and rockin'. It will be a lot tougher road to the crown for anybody whose jersey doesn't say MONTANA on the front.

Espn in their breakdown of each conference tourney lists Weber as the favorite. Even though I like it, I don't agree. Any team that win their conference title outright and hosts the tournament on their home floor should be the favorite.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9039218/previewing-picking-winners-second-week-conference-tournaments-college-basketball" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Webergrad02 said:
Espn in their breakdown of each conference tourney lists Weber as the favorite. Even though I like it, I don't agree. Any team that win their conference title outright and hosts the tournament on their home floor should be the favorite.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9039218/previewing-picking-winners-second-week-conference-tournaments-college-basketball" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
+1 :thumb:

3 games in 3 days...with this new format getting the 1 seed is a big deal now and not just because of hosting.

Picking Weber is definitely not a long shot or going out on a limb. Montana will be very tough to beat at home but Weber has the complete package - both inside and outside. Hutch will have to play beyond his years to match Weber. It can be done but will be a big task. IMO, the spanking that the Montana took at Weber will loom large for the Griz as they will want to prove that game was the exception, not the norm.

The Griz got spanked in Ogden last year as well. In fact, they almost always get spanked there. It's a really difficult place to play.

But Weber hasn't won in Missoula in some time either. And as someone commented on Jon's blog, Weber's big men are not going to shoot 17 for 20 or whatever the hell it was in the game in Ogden. Take away some rather unfriendly officiating that always seems to accompany games in the Dee, and you've basically got a toss up, although I definitely agree that choosing Weebs is certainly not some ridiculous upset pick.

weberwildcat said:
3 games in 3 days...with this new format getting the 1 seed is a big deal now and not just because of hosting.

Agreed, that's huge for the 1 seed.

I wonder with the addition of Idaho next year for hoops only if the 'Sky will go to an 8 team tourney with the 1 and 2 seeds again getting a bye.

Webergrad02 said:

ESPN though just looks at the books and takes note that UM is missing it's leading scorer and the last time UM/WSU played the Wildcats thumped them. Their overall concern to go in-depth on the Big Sky is minimal.

However it's still not a bad pick, even though the Griz have home court.

BWahlberg said:
weberwildcat said:

Agreed, that's huge for the 1 seed.

I wonder with the addition of Idaho next year for hoops only if the 'Sky will go to an 8 team tourney with the 1 and 2 seeds again getting a bye.

They need to keep this format. It helps get your best teams in the tournament. See the other thread on that.

EverettGriz said:
The Griz got spanked in Ogden last year as well. In fact, they almost always get spanked there. It's a really difficult place to play.

But Weber hasn't won in Missoula in some time either. And as someone commented on Jon's blog, Weber's big men are not going to shoot 17 for 20 or whatever the hell it was in the game in Ogden. Take away some rather unfriendly officiating that always seems to accompany games in the Dee, and you've basically got a toss up, although I definitely agree that choosing Weebs is certainly not some ridiculous upset pick.

Unfriendly officiating in Ogden?

FT's (In Ogden)
Montana- 23
Weber- 20

Ft's (In Missoula)
Montana- 33
Weber- 21

The unfriendly officiating definetely wasnt in Ogden this year

And Weber's big men (Otis, Tresnak) shot 70% in Missoula earlier this year on 14-20 shooting.

Latest posts

Back