• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Scholarship Loss: Interesting Stats

PlayerRep

This is from Haslam's letter:

"As a point of reference, over the four academic years of 2008-2012, UM awarded an average of 61.89 football scholarships. Last year, we awarded a total of 59.27 football scholarships. The tentative scholarship count for the upcoming academic year is approximately 61."

I'm surprised by those numbers -- I just blindly assumed that UM awarded the full 63 scholarships every year. And I have been lamenting the loss of 4 scholarships a year for three years as the most stringent part of the NCAA sanctions. I figured it meant a reduction of up to 8 players (sharing 4 scholarships) in each of those seasons. The loss of scholarships is still a tough pill to swallow, but it looks as though the team numbers won't be down quite as much as I thought.

PlayerRep said:

"As a point of reference, over the four academic years of 2008-2012, UM awarded an average of 61.89 football scholarships. Last year, we awarded a total of 59.27 football scholarships. The tentative scholarship count for the upcoming academic year is approximately 61."

Thanks for providing this. I was pretty concerned it would have a pretty distinct impact on in state players particularly. Appears not too much to fret about. Go Griz!! Strange, but I have been breathing a little easier today. Seems like the dark clouds are passing.

PlayerRep said:

last year we awarded 59.27 ...

....and went 5-6.

getgrizzy said:
PlayerRep said:

....and went 5-6.

And with only 59.27 scholarships, we just about went 7-3... :coffee:

get'em_griz said:
getgrizzy said:
PlayerRep said:

....and went 5-6.

our five wins were against teams that totaled what? 13 wins? we almost went 4-7, too.

A winning season will go a long way. Beat the cats and win the conference will speak for itself. We have the players......do we have the scheme?

bigkid said:
A winning season will go a long way. Beat the cats and win the conference will speak for itself. We have the players......do we have the scheme?
I'm curious myself. Gonna be interesting with JJ under center.

The key is though you can only offer so many each year. If attrition is heavy then you will be below the 65 you are allowed and can't get caught up due to the limit you can offer each year. At least in FBS it is that way.

For example you can only offer 25 a year in FBS but if you have 20 graduate and another 8 leave the program you can be behind and can't catch up right away

Is FCS different in there is no real cap on what you can offer each year?

getgrizzy said:
PlayerRep said:

....and went 5-6.

5 - 6 had little or nothing to do with schollies.

getgrizzy said:
get'em_griz said:
getgrizzy said:
PlayerRep said:

....and went 5-6.

our five wins were against teams that totaled what? 13 wins? we almost went 4-7, too.

And we could have gone 11-0. Every game we could have won. The point is, we had the talent with the amount of scholarships we had. You don't give coaches scholarships, and coaching was THE key reason why we lost the games that we did.

get'em_griz said:
getgrizzy said:
get'em_griz said:
getgrizzy said:

....and went 5-6.

And we could have gone 11-0. Every game we could have won. The point is, we had the talent with the amount of scholarships we had. You don't give coaches scholarships, and coaching was THE key reason why we lost the games that we did.

Nope, lack of a decent QB was the reason we lost them.

Hammer said:
get'em_griz said:
getgrizzy said:
get'em_griz said:

I completely agree. Having a good QB would have gotten us those wins. I still think we should have won those last year even with the QBs we had. This year, we'll win and be back in the playoffs! :tumb:

get'em_griz said:
Hammer said:
get'em_griz said:
getgrizzy said:

I completely agree. Having a good QB would have gotten us those wins. I still think we should have won those last year even with the QBs we had. This year, we'll win and be back in the playoffs! :tumb:
Yup. Without a doubt. I think the only smart QB I seen last season was a the Northern Colorado game when Kirshner ran into the stacked up goal line and pitch the ball back to TM and he ran it in for a TD. That's the only one that pops up in my mind. But there was way to many to count where they were mid field and coulda got a first down or even picked a few more yards but ran the wrong way and stopped several yards short of anything. I give both guys props for tryin but tryin only gets you so much. Not sayin I coulda done any better last season our QB play was HorriblE.

get'em_griz said:
getgrizzy said:
get'em_griz said:
getgrizzy said:

....and went 5-6.

There was a great coach who used to say "if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle". The Griz were a 5-6 team last year. Period. Coulda, woulda, shoulda doesn't mean squat.

mcg said:
get'em_griz said:
getgrizzy said:
get'em_griz said:

There was a great coach who used to say "if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle". The Griz were a 5-6 team last year. Period. Coulda, woulda, shoulda doesn't mean squat.

And you are correct. The Griz did go 5-6. But the point is that we have the talent and depth with only 59 scholarships to still win the conference and make a deep push into the playoffs.

Delaney spoke about the scholarship issue in Billings on Saturday. Basically the number of scholarships fluctuates through attrition. It might be true that the team ends up with 59.whatever in the academic year, but over the next few years football is going to have to stop attrition losses or deal with a scholarship number that is actually lower than 59.

He didn't say whether Montana might be able to appeal some of its probationary period after a couple years.

Back