• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sacramento Bee: Hortnets lose to MT in OT

Proud Griz Man

DONOR
126Y9k.Xl.4.jpeg

vrCn1.St.4.jpeg

SHFnS.St.4.jpeg

1e78Dk.St.4.jpeg

NxO4h.St.4.jpeg

... Garrett Safron put on one of the greatest individual performances in Sacramento State football history Saturday at Hornet Stadium. But it wasn't enough to beat No. 12 Montana in a Big Sky Conference showdown.

Jordan Johnson's 25-yard pass to a wide-open Ellis Henderson in the right corner of the end zone lifted the Grizzlies (7-2, 4-2 Big Sky) to a 51-48 overtime win, ending a valiant comeback effort by Safron and the Hornets (4-5, 3-2). Sac State tied the score 45-45 with 23 seconds left in regulation on Safron's 5-yard touchdown pass to tight end Cole Hikutini (Pleasant Grove High School), which was tipped before the freshman came down with his second touchdown reception of the game. The Hornets took a 48-45 lead on Brad Cornish's 25-yard field goal to start the overtime.

Safron completed 41 of 58 passes for 412 yards and four touchdowns and rushed for 93 yards on 20 carries and two touchdowns. He threw no interceptions.

The Santa Monica product set Sac State single-game records for completions, passing yards and total offense, and his six touchdowns tied the school mark. "He's such a warrior; he keeps fighting," said seventh-year Sac State coach Marshall Sperbeck. "Considering who we were playing, considering the amount of hits that he was taking and a lot of the critical situations to get us back into the game, it's definitely one of the top performances at the quarterback position in my tenure here."

A crushing hit by Montana linebacker John Kanongata'a as Safron threw a pass away landed the quarterback on his head late in the third quarter, leaving many of the announced crowd of 6,361 in stunned silence. Safron was down for nearly five minutes. "I got flipped on the side of my head and was in shock for a little bit," he said. "I was good. They did their concussion test, and then I got back in there."

With Safron on the sideline, backup quarterback Marcus McDade fumbled on the next play as he was stripped while trying to scramble for yards. Montana's Jordan Canada zigzagged for a 33-yard touchdown run on the following play to put Montana up 38-24 with 14 seconds left in the third quarter. But Safron returned and engineered touchdown drives of 73 and 74 yards, the first capped by his 10-yard keeper, the second by a 4-yard touchdown pass to DJ Maciel that tied the score 38-38 with 7:07 to play. Safron completed the pass despite having the wind knocked out of him by a Montana defender, the second time in the game he had to be assisted from the field.

... Sac State defender Osagie Odiase bit on Henderson's inside move, then lost his balance trying to spin around as Henderson reversed course. "We ran some slants and crosses with him earlier," Delaney said of Henderson. "We had a pump fake, their kid bit on that, and Ellis broke for the corner and Jordy made a nice throw." Sac State, dressed in black instead of its usual green and gold, hoped to duplicate its 42-28 upset of two years ago, the Hornets' first win in 17 games against the Big Sky's most successful program. Sac State was penalized 10 times for 102 yards and fumbled three times. Montana had no turnovers. "Our guys were resilient; they kept fighting back," Sperbeck said. "Give (Montana) credit and No. 7 (Henderson); they did a good job. But it's tough to overcome the penalties and the turnovers."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/11/02/5876632/sac-state-football-team-falls.html#storylink=cpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/11/02/5876632/sac-state-football-team-falls.html#storylink=cpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That picture of Hermanson is all you need to know about this defense and why it's not good..................play after play.

JP might be the exception to the rule

That picture of Henderson making the walk-off catch is all you need to know about why he is one of the best receivers in the Big Sky right now. Looking the ball in, all hands and no chest catching technique.

How about the 2d to last photo? I'm pretty sure that the last play of regulation, where Henderson came down with the ball. Pretty amazing that he made the catch. At the time, I was hoping he would tap it towards Warren, who might scoot in for the TD.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
That picture of Hermanson is all you need to know about this defense and why it's not good..................play after play.

If he would only tackle instead of trying to lasso everyone's ankles.....

putter said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

If he would only tackle instead of trying to lasso everyone's ankles.....
He tackled 15 times Saturday. He saved our ass more than once.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

What is your deal with JP? You jealous that you don't have hair like his or something. Yes he had 15 tackles yesterday, but he is one of the worst tacklers on the team, he wiffs on alot of tackles and has lots of plays where he could make a play but instead gets tangled up with blockers. The swing pass to JP's side almost always picks up a first down, because the D knows that he will not get off the block, he will take on the block and drive that blocker back as the receiver with the ball runs right past.

JayLarson said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

What is your deal with JP? You jealous that you don't have hair like his or something. Yes he had 15 tackles yesterday, but he is one of the worst tacklers on the team, he wiffs on alot of tackles and has lots of plays where he could make a play but instead gets tangled up with blockers. The swing pass to JP's side almost always picks up a first down, because the D knows that he will not get off the block, he will take on the block and drive that blocker back as the receiver with the ball runs right past.

What is your deal with JP?

He is 4th on the team in tackles, can cover pretty well for a big guy and isnt afraid to lay a guy out from time to time. The only thing you are mildly correct on is he at times does have trouble getting off blocks other than that he is a hell of a LB. You dont end up being 4th on your team in tackles when you suck at tackling.

Didnt mean to bring facts into your fantasy world...its just that I am getting sick of people that dont have a clue talking out their ass about players like JP. There are some players that you can pull that on because you would be right, just not in this case.

Oh and my hair is fu*king fine and getting close to JPs

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
JayLarson said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

What is your deal with JP?

He is 4th on the team in tackles, can cover pretty well for a big guy and isnt afraid to lay a guy out from time to time. The only thing you are mildly correct on is he at times does have trouble getting off blocks other than that he is a hell of a LB. You dont end up being 4th on your team in tackles when you suck at tackling.

Didnt mean to bring facts into your fantasy world...its just that I am getting sick of people that dont have a clue talking out their ass about players like JP. There are some players that you can pull that on because you would be right, just not in this case.

Oh and my hair is fu*king fine and getting close to JPs

Using Alpha's same logic and quote in regards to JP "You don't end up being 4th on your team in tackles when you suck at tackling" Hermanson is the 3rd leading tackler for the Griz this year and that is in one less game that the other leaders have. If one would look at the averages per game he would be the 2nd leading tackler behind Brock Coyle. I suggest that a safety shouldn't have to be one of the leading tacklers on your team and we should be glad we have him.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

That tackle is a good one. Its on a cross route and the WR caught the ball. He obviously got the backside of the WR while he's moving forward (into Matt) 100% guarantee he went down. If you go lower the WR has better balance cause you hit his hips. Or if you go legs there is a good chance you miss all together. Best place to tackle is just below the shoulders wrapping your arms around and using your body weight. I believe all 3 are in that pic

Poor Alfa, starting to mix pickle juice with his vodka. Making negitive comments on positive accomplishments. Hermi's tackle was just fine and was the type of tackle that sometimes creates a fumble. Alfa's boy love with the Bison is clouding his vision of what's right with the Griz. Hermanson is one of the "whats right" this year.

Latest posts

Back