• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sac play-calling in OT was odd, and conservative

PlayerRep

I think the Sac coaches goofed up their play calls in OT. Most of the calls surprised me. With more aggressive play-calling, Sac had been rolling down the field later in the game (and earlier at times). Lots of bad coaches and bad play-calling out there, except on egriz.

I agree, but I was also thinking their QB was playing hurt more than he was showing. They might have been trying to run plays to protect him.

This has been the problem with Sac all year, and my biggest issue with the coaching staff. They have no killer instinct and get very conservative. In every loss this year they have either had the lead late or been very close but usually decide to play it safe.

Look at the end of the half. With 4 minutes to go they decide to run the ball and end up punting quickly to Montana, who scores almost immediately. When they get the ball back with a minute Sac decides THEN to get aggressive and marches right down the field for a TD. The conservative play calling lost them the games against Southern Utah, Northern Ari, and, I feel, today.

They should have gone for two.

There is just way too much talent on this team, but their tight sphincters keep them from making the next step. So frustrating.

StingersUp said:
This has been the problem with Sac all year, and my biggest issue with the coaching staff. They have no killer instinct and get very conservative. In every loss this year they have either had the lead late or been very close but usually decide to play it safe.

Look at the end of the half. With 4 minutes to go they decide to run the ball and end up punting quickly to Montana, who scores almost immediately. When they get the ball back with a minute Sac decides THEN to get aggressive and marches right down the field for a TD. The conservative play calling lost them the games against Southern Utah, Northern Ari, and, I feel, today.

There is just way too much talent on this team, but their tight sphincters keep them from making the next step. So frustrating.

Your team played well today. Some key mistakes, tho.

StingersUp said:

Strange this is what Cal Poly fans believe, what Eastern Washington fans state, and what Griz fans preach. Could it be a conspiracy by coaches everywhere? Play conservative, and have the fans out with their hatchets. Just goes to show that most fans let passion get involved over logic, at times.

And this is not a dig towards you, more so a dig towards eGriz in general.

ordigger said:
StingersUp said:

Strange this is what Cal Poly fans believe, what Eastern Washington fans state, and what Griz fans preach. Could it be a conspiracy by coaches everywhere? Play conservative, and have the fans out with their hatchets. Just goes to show that most fans let passion get involved over logic, at times.

And this is not a dig towards you, more so a dig towards eGriz in general.

I get that argument. But those three programs have had success and Sac has not. If Sac was winning each year, and I was complaining, then yes, you'd have a point. But year in and year out Sac is mired in the .500 club and can't make that leap. Your own poster started this thread because he noticed it in overtime.

Hauck was the king of conservative. His record speaks for itself. He believed in beating the other team up in the first half and then pull away in second half when the other team was tired and sore, but Hauck teams were typically in excellent condition.

I was surprised by Sacramento State's formation and play calling in overtime too, but I was more surprised (like other posters) that they didn't go for 2 at the end of the game. Once they scored, I started wishing for a stop of the 2-pointer, but the thought of losing 46 - 45 was heavy on my mind.

They were lining up to go for 2, but I don't think they had enough men on the field, so they called a timeout and then changed their mind. This is just what I saw, I am glad they did not go for 2, but I think the Griz would have managed to stop them.

JayLarson said:
They were lining up to go for 2, but I don't think they had enough men on the field, so they called a timeout and then changed their mind. This is just what I saw, I am glad they did not go for 2, but I think the Griz would have managed to stop them.

Uh, if their coach hadn't called that T/O as they snapped the ball the Griz would have dumped the ballcarrier for about a 6 yard loss....they were sending the HOUSE and had already busted through when the refs blew the play dead.

StingersUp said:

You just summed up what most Griz fans think of our team.
All kidding aside I would love to buy your QB a beer, he is like John Wayne of QB's

AZGrizFan said:
JayLarson said:

Uh, if their coach hadn't called that T/O as they snapped the ball the Griz would have dumped the ballcarrier for about a 6 yard loss....they were sending the HOUSE and had already busted through when the refs blew the play dead.
Where the hell did you see this? Yes the Griz got through there, but Sac only had 10 guys on the field, so that is why their coach called a time out. They didnt even have a tailback in there.

JayLarson said:
AZGrizFan said:
JayLarson said:

Where the hell did you see this? Yes the Griz got through there, but Sac only had 10 guys on the field, so that is why their coach called a time out. They didnt even have a tailback in there.

I'm aware of that. I'm saying if they HADN'T called the TO the play wouldn't have worked...and OT would have been a moot point.

How was their play calling odd, first play of OT hand off to number 40 for a 7 yard gain. Second play read option with QB, QB sneak for first down. Play action pass swatted down by Wags, Read option stuffed by Brock Coyle, Then went nickel package and the Wags got in there to disrupt the play they get a 6 yard pick up. Our defense finally was able to get pressure was the difference, down and distance determines play calling most times.

If memory serves, Montana has run three overtime plays. Two of the three plays were to Ellis (O.T.) Henderson, for 48 yards and two TDs. Now that is great play calling.

Back