• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Rumor Mill

G

I have hear that there may be the possiblity that Rich Alexis and or Reggie Williams may come to Montana. Even though it is probably unlikely, both of these players were arrested in Seattle and charge with assault and battery. Their status is dependent on the situation with Neuhisel who was gonig to let them back but a new coach (who will remained unnamed) but is looked at as a disciplinarian could send them packing. Why not come to montnana?

If that is true we will rock. Those guys are big time studs. Bobby would know them well and would have some influence with them. I would have three questions.

Do we have scholarships available? If not some minor housecleaning would have to take place.

And will they come here? They don't have to sit out a year, but the press coverage might not be enough at Montana for players of that caliber with NFL asperations.

Would UW weaken their team like that by not letting two of their top weapons back on the team? This is the question that makes it seem unlikely. The big time schools do a lot of "bending over backwards" and "looking the other way" for their stars.

Please, no!! The Griz program does NOT need people who already have arrest records for serious crimes! I don't care how good a ball player either one of them may be, the UM team is better off without them!

'68griz said:
Please, no!! The Griz program does NOT need people who already have arrest records for serious crimes! I don't care how good a ball player either one of them may be, the UM team is better off without them!

68griz...

If you could go back in time and we could get Randy Moss for the 96 and 97 teams would you have welcomed him or said "Oh no! We don't need that kind of trouble at Montana. He can go to Marshall and singlehandedly kick our butts in the NC Game, I don't care!"

We've had players that have gotten in trouble for brawling at parties. It seems to happen often in college, and is much less serious than the trouble Randy had been in.

I agree with '68griz. We do not need criminals playing on our team. Some of you may be for winning at any cost like Marshall, but I wouldn't be as much of a Griz fan if Montana was a thug school like Marshall. I believe winning with class and having players with good attitudes are the key. No, I wouldn't take Moss no matter what. Notre Dame and Florida State certainly didn't want Moss. If you say some of the problems that occurred at UM is worse than beating up your girl friend like Moss did, than you must be one that will allow anything to get a good player here.

TrueGriz said:
I agree with '68griz. We do not need criminals playing on our team. Some of you may be for winning at any cost like Marshall, but I wouldn't be as much of a Griz fan if Montana was a thug school like Marshall. I believe winning with class and having players with good attitudes are the key. No, I wouldn't take Moss no matter what. Notre Dame and Florida State certainly didn't want Moss. If you say some of the problems that occurred at UM is worse than beating up your girl friend like Moss did, than you must be one that will allow anything to get a good player here.

Amen.

GeauxGriz said:
TrueGriz said:

Amen.

Not to come off like some Dittohead, but...

Ditto.

I'm very proud to be associated with a school that has had stars of the personal caliber of Vince Huntsberger and Dave Dickenson. Championships or no championships, Randy Moss-type a--holes are not what we want.

There's confidence, and there's arrogance. Give me a team of quiet, confident guys every time. Just my preference, being an old-school type.

Montana has already done it the right way. So y'all know how. You don't need to do it the Marshall way. Leave that to the loser programs which can't succeed without going that route. You're better than that. :)

Come on you guys. These guys got in a fight. We've had a dozen players since I've been following the Griz that got arrested for fighting and they weren't kicked off the team.

Don't put Montana on a higher pedestal than they are actually on. We've had plenty players that have gotten in trouble and been given a second chance. Fighting and DUI's seem too be pretty common here.

Actually, Alexis was charged with misdemeanor assault for hitting a bouncer at a party. Not the best behavior in the world, but not assault and battery either. Williams was never charged with anything. My money says neither one of these kids did anything so bad as to have to transfer.

While it seems like a pipe dream that we could get these guys, I think that it will be pretty unlikely. Williams will probably not come here because if he entered the NFL draft he would probably go pretty high and not want to risk injury. He was the main culprit in the fight where he and alexis threw a guy through a window at a fraternity party. Also it was alleged that he batted around some women at the party. Alexis was with him and joined in the fight but people arent going after him like they are Williams. He would be the guy that I would think might come here. How sweet would it be to get one of the top running backs from the PAC-10 here. But who knows how many touches he will see in the "Air Hauck" offense. The lack of touches might send him elsewhere.

The one thing that impresses me about Coach Hauck is that he is making the guys walk a lot tighter rope in the classroom and off the field. I felt that the incidnet with DeCoite's poaching were overlooked by Glenn and his staff.

ronbo said:
Come on you guys. These guys got in a fight. We've had a dozen players since I've been following the Griz that got arrested for fighting and they weren't kicked off the team.

Don't put Montana on a higher pedestal than they are actually on. We've had plenty players that have gotten in trouble and been given a second chance. Fighting and DUI's seem too be pretty common here.

I am not putting Montana on any higher pedestal than it deserves. It is just at a level higher up on the pedestal than Marshall was/is.

Plus, just because Montana may have had some problems (what school hasn't), I would like to see Montana reach that pedestal. It is a goal to achieve, and you won't achieve it if you allow criminals on the team. I am not saying these players are criminals, yet, as these two have been just arrested and charged. Innocent until found guilty. I would not allow them on the team until their verdict is found. Sorry, just the way I feel.

Those past acts by UM players kind of influenced my opinion on this. May have happened in the past, but do not accept it in the future. It will most likely happen in the future as these young kids will make mistakes. One way to possibly reduce the occurence of this is to not allow players known to have participated in these activities before.

So, again, while I wasn't putting Montana on a higher pedestal, that is where I want Montana to be at. If these two players ARE guilty of a serious crime, I do not want them to play here.

To all of you who agreed with me, thanks!

As for Moss ... no, I wouldn't have wanted him in the mid-90s, and I don't root for the Vikings, in large part, because he plays for them. He was jerk then, and he continues to be one -- and that's why Marshall was his third college.

And ... I also feel the DeCoite poaching thing was glossed over. I'm not necessarily saying he should have been kicked off the team, but I will always believe that some sort of disciplinary action should have taken place.

Call me old-fashioned, if you like, but I'd rather have a team of winners in life, who also happen to win most of their football games, than a bunch of thugs who are great football players.

griz4life said:
Actually, Alexis was charged with misdemeanor assault for hitting a bouncer at a party. Not the best behavior in the world, but not assault and battery either. Williams was never charged with anything. My money says neither one of these kids did anything so bad as to have to transfer.
When U of M became a dry campus, a trendy thing to do these days, it was just shortly after... God I wish I remember his damn name. He was a linemen... and this was in 94 or 95, anyhow, this linemen started a fight at the SAE fraternity house. Needless to say, he got his butt kicked six ways from Sunday by one of Missoula's local boxers (I won't give the boxers name, but initials are T. Z.).

This is from Sports Illustrated
"Officers responding to a report of a fight at the Sigma Chi house on Greek Row at 12:26 a.m. Saturday were told by a man working security that he turned Alexis and Williams away from a party because they were not on the guest list.

The police report quoted the man as stating that Alexis and Williams pushed him against a door, accusing the fraternity of denying them entrance because they are black and saying: "We're football players. Let us in. Do you know who we are?"

The pair began walking away, then returned. Alexis hit the man twice on the head with the hand on which he was wearing his Rose Bowl ring and the pair left after screaming, "We'll come back and blast you," the security worker told police.

First off Williams won't be booted...from the sounds of it.
and i even doubt Alexis will be booted....
Even if he is we don't want him. He sounds like punk.

I'm never impressed when people use the "don't you know who i am?" bit.

It goes over even worse if said jerk punches someone and then vows to come back and do more harm.

Winning with thugs is something we don't need. Also, I think it hurts recruiting if you start bringing in guys with this type of reputation.

In short, i agree with 68, True,and those that agree with them.

GrizMania said:
First off Williams won't be booted...from the sounds of it.
and i even doubt Alexis will be booted....
Even if he is we don't want him. He sounds like punk.

I'm never impressed when people use the "don't you know who i am?" bit.

It goes over even worse if said jerk punches someone and then vows to come back and do more harm.

Winning with thugs is something we don't need. Also, I think it hurts recruiting if you start bringing in guys with this type of reputation.

In short, i agree with 68, True,and those that agree with them.

I agree 100%.

How could the issue of these two coming even be discussed? Of course that would be great to get some players like that and what they did wasn't really that bad. Don't try to tell me that a majority of the people on this board have never been in a fist fight. But back to the point. THEY ARE NOT COMING TO UM SO DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT!!!!

Baller1

You're right about one thing, its stupid to even discuss those two coming to UM.
But contrary to your post, we can think what we want, and if whatever someone does is bad enough to get them booted from one place then the Griz don't need the leftover garbage.
And i agree about one other thing, they're not coming and I(and i assume most others) aren't worrying about it.
And for what it's worth, i've never hit a bouncer for not letting me in, I'm not that big of an idiot.

Back