• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Root Sports

I'm not impressed with Root Sports coverage of the Big Sky. The Montana schools really benefited for football coverage, but will a Griz team coming off a losing season get that kind of coverage this year?

griz4life said:
I'm not impressed with Root Sports coverage of the Big Sky. The Montana schools really benefited for football coverage, but will a Griz team coming off a losing season get that kind of coverage this year?

Probably. Besides Montana and MSU, nobody else has a large-enough fan base to make airing their games worthwhile (maybe EWU might since they're in Washington).

Isn't it a little hard to announce a TV schedule when schools like Montana haven't even announced the times for their games?

'68griz said:
Isn't it a little hard to announce a TV schedule when schools like Montana haven't even announced the times for their games?

My bet is that we're waiting for Root Sports to give us their ideal game times for games they're airing.

'68griz said:
We can't schedule the times until we know which games Root will broadcast. Their times are strictly set for each game.

Actually, ROOT is awaiting delivery of a giant green screen to position above the sidelines at every BSC "stadium" other than Wa-Griz and Bobcat in order to create an atmosphere a step or two up from that of a class B high school game...

griz4life said:

As of a month or so ago, Roots was planning to have only two Montana games on tv, one of which was the Cat game.

Washgrizfan1 said:
griz4life said:

As of a month or so ago, Roots was planning to have only two Montana games on tv, one of which was the Cat game.
So whats gonna happen? Are we not gonna be able to watch the games unless we are there at the Wa-Griz??

uofmman1122 said:
'68griz said:
We can't schedule the times until we know which games Root will broadcast. Their times are strictly set for each game.

That's correct - Root has two broadcast times which were something like 1:30 or 5:30. Once they roll out the games/times they're taking then the Griz can set the other times on their schedules. That's for conference games only. Also the Griz are still waiting on what to do with the App game - go with a regional broadcast that would allow for a Saturday night game or go with ESPN who would probably make it a late night Thursday game.

I'm kinda trippin out now. I hope they air the games. I live in Billings and its a 700 mile round trip to Wa-Griz. And I work week nights during the fall and it makes for a long day to go to work Friday night, get off, get in the car, drive 345.6 miles, watch the game, and sometimes have to drive all the way back to Billings. Root better not jack this around. They shoulda left it to the local networks to do this. :cry:

NLGrizFan said:
I'm kinda trippin out now. I hope they air the games. I live in Billings and its a 700 mile round trip to Wa-Griz. And I work week nights during the fall and it makes for a long day to go to work Friday night, get off, get in the car, drive 345.6 miles, watch the game, and sometimes have to drive all the way back to Billings. Root better not jack this around. They shoulda left it to the local networks to do this. :cry:

That was kind of my concern all along. Root is a great deal for a football team with no TV contract, which was pretty much the case for all Big Sky schools but the Montanas. If they cherry pick a couple big games, for Montana, the Griz have less to offer a local network interested in picking up the games.
Local networks didn't expose the Griz to the coveted markets of Durango, Colorado or Coos Bay, Oregon, but the signal was available to FTA dish owners, which I am, anywhere in the country.

BWahlberg said:
uofmman1122 said:
'68griz said:

That's correct - Root has two broadcast times which were something like 1:30 or 5:30. Once they roll out the games/times they're taking then the Griz can set the other times on their schedules. That's for conference games only. Also the Griz are still waiting on what to do with the App game - go with a regional broadcast that would allow for a Saturday night game or go with ESPN who would probably make it a late night Thursday game.
Yes please! :clap:

MTN and Max Media are both awaiting Root Sports press release of the 18 game TV contract. They have also heard that the Root will possibly only pick 2 griz games one of which is Kitten/Griz game and the Cat's may have 4 others also picked up by Root. Max would compete for all the rest of the Griz games due to the fact that the 5 kitten games wouldn't be available and that the Griz fan base is over twice the size of the kittens

Bear Axed said:
MTN and Max Media are both awaiting Root Sports press release of the 18 game TV contract. They have also heard that the Root will possibly only pick 2 griz games one of which is Kitten/Griz game and the Cat's may have 4 others also picked up by Root. Max would compete for all the rest of the Griz games due to the fact that the 5 kitten games wouldn't be available and that the Griz fan base is over twice the size of the kittens

You would assume the other game would be EWU. Only 6 out of 18 games with Mt. Schools. Be interesting to see the ratings. I would think EWU would get more of those games, which could help and hurt them. Hurt them as far as actual attendance.

Cue Screaming marshmallow to tell me I'm wrong...

Well, if they pick Griz-Cat, the Sac-UC Davis Causeway Classic, the EWU-UM and EWU-MSU games plus a Cal Poly-Davis or Sac game, then they've pretty much covered the rivalry games, maybe throw in Weber and NAU, too.
The California schools and Portland have to be in the mix, or Root really isn't showing anything on the coast that people there care about.
I would love it if Montana got back on MTN, which would make the games available to more Montanans without a special Root dish package. Of course, we wouldn't be able to see the ball thanks to the MTN camera work, but at least more Montanans would see the game.

the Potenial for growth in Market shares are much larger in Spokane, Portland, Sacramento, Denver than anything that all of the divided state of Montana has to offer? Why would a 5-6, has been football team with thuggish political problems look like a good bet to a sports channel? :? :eek: :roll:

Latest posts

Back