• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Road trips

RABIDAWG

eGriz Club
Have any of you road tripped to Vermillion, SD or to the Sacramento or Davis games? Was thinking of one or the other. Any opinions on the better venue? Itching for RV time.

RABIDAWG said:
Have any of you road tripped to Vermillion, SD or to the Sacramento or Davis games? Was thinking of one or the other. Any opinions on the better venue? Itching for RV time.

I've been to Sac for a Griz game, back when I lived in NoCal. It friggin poured rain the entire time. Way more Griz fans than Hornet fans (this was back when Sac was REALLY bad). Stadium was high schoolish, but I think they've made improvements since then.

I've never been to Vermillion, but we are going to the SoDak game this year. In a dome, which could be a good thing in eastern SD in November. Wouldn't expect a huge crowd there. Again, there could be as many wearing maroon as those wearing red.

Definitely much more to do in and around the Sac/Davis area than in Vermillion, but you would also miss out on Wall Drug on the way :roll: .

Sacramento you San Fran/Bay area about 2hrs away west , Yosemite 2hrs south, redwoods about 5 hrs north, reno 1 1/2 hrs east, Napa/ Sonoma 1 hr west, gold country/sierras about 1hr away. There is alot to do around Sacramento, but for a large city, its pretty low key, not much going on. Vermillion has Black Hills, Mt Rushmore, Devils tower, Wall Drug, battle of Little Big Horn, and lots of cornfields/ pheasant hunting. The Griz will whoop ass whereever they go!

GlacierGrizX said:
Sacramento you San Fran/Bay area about 2hrs away west , Yosemite 2hrs south, redwoods about 5 hrs north, reno 1 1/2 hrs east, Napa/ Sonoma 1 hr west, gold country/sierras about 1hr away. There is alot to do around Sacramento, but for a large city, its pretty low key, not much going on. Vermillion has Black Hills, Mt Rushmore, Devils tower, Wall Drug, battle of Little Big Horn, and lots of cornfields/ pheasant hunting. The Griz will whoop ass whereever they go!

Your not from around here are you BOY!!!! :lol:
Attend a Montana History class, maybe even a native American studies. I believe they're both 100 level classes so you should be fine.

A road trip to Sacramento from Montana could be very slow in November. Snow and ice over the Sierras could be interesting. Take chains. It can be done in about 16 hours of driving if roads are clear.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
GlacierGrizX said:

Attend a Montana History class, maybe even a native American studies. I believe they're both 100 level classes so you should be fine.

Now I'm going to have to get out the yardstick and measure all his other statements! :? :lol:

He must have meant on the drive to SD those are some of the sites you can see. Because Little Bighorn and Devils Tower are nowhere near Vermillion. But I guess you could design a road trip to hit them on the way from Missoula to there.

RABIDAWG said:
Davis would be my choice of those three. Nice stadium, interesting campus activities, and a sure win for the Griz. Sacto is ok but it is basically a commuter school, though Sacramento is a nice city with a vibe all its own.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
GlacierGrizX said:

In his defense if you are coming from Billings or further west in Montana. You will more than likely be driving right by the little big horn battle field on your way down. Same with Devils tower in WY. As for Vermillion SD there is not much to the town. That being said we are thinking about going because its close. But we would stay in Sioux Falls and just drive to Vermillion for the game.

SouthDakotaGrizzly said:
RABIDAWG said:

I've been to Sac for a Griz game, back when I lived in NoCal. It friggin poured rain the entire time. Way more Griz fans than Hornet fans (this was back when Sac was REALLY bad). Stadium was high schoolish, but I think they've made improvements since then.

Ha - I was at that game too. That was the one where we won 26-0 or something in a total mess of a game and the Sac coach accused us of running up the score.

Driving to Sac from Missoula is a long trip. I've done it twice. Once drove to Portland and down, that's a very pretty drive, Western Oregon and Northern California are beautiful. North of Sac is kind of ugly though. Another time on my way to San Fran I went south on I-15 to Pocatello, connected to Twin Falls, down to Elko, NV and across northern Nevada through Reno and Tahoe. From basically Monida Pass at the MT/ID border until you get through Reno it's a pretty boring/dull drive. Tahoe is pretty, of course.

Davis is just another 30 min from Sac so pretty much the same there. Either way I think it's a 2 day trip. Stayed in Portland when I went that route, stayed in Elko when we went the other way.

Thanks Griz Nation for the History/Geography lesson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you got to Vermillion there is zero-zlich-NOTHING!!! Wall Drug is one of my' greatest disappointments of life (200 miles of signs) to see a stupid trinket store. Mt Rushmore takes about an hour, so go ahead and have a grand trip to AWESOME Vermillion, both Dakotas are real lame to tell you the truth!! Hence the title, "Fly-over States." Zootown Rox, I'm glad you have critical thinking skills, and could read between the lines, unlike the "Literal Gestapos" here! I could also tell you the Great Wall of China is in Mongolia also!

P.S. If you go to Vermillion (via Mitchell) you have to stop at the, "eye-catching" Corn Palce! LOL! The shining, "Crown-Jewel" of SD hertiage!

Went to Sac. In 2005 it was fun, they have some Restaurants to die for. Best steak ever. The. Broiler. Tip top.

G&B said:
Went to Sac. In 2005 it was fun, they have some Restaurants to die for. Best steak ever. The. Broiler. Tip top.

Dude you need to come to Butte and have a steak at Cassagrandes. You may change your tune.

Lot of damn good info! Thanks guys! Of course, one could hang out for a week a little further south in the Sonoma/Napa country.

Hammer said:
G&B said:

Dude you need to come to Butte and have a steak at Cassagrandes. You may change your tune.

Might give it a shot. Is the meat prime??? I had a 36oz. Prime Porterhouse. If its not Prime meat then it will not be that good . I hope it's that good .

G&B said:
Hammer said:
G&B said:

Might give it a shot. Is the meat prime??? I had a 36oz. Prime Porterhouse. If its not Prime meat then it will not be that good . I hope it's that good .

It must be prime because they are incredible. All Montana grown beef. Heres the website.

http://casagrandassteakhouse.webs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think the best steak in Butte is the Rib eye at the Depot. You can smell that place from blocks away.
The best steak in SWMT is the tenderlion at Barkleys in canooch (i don't consider the oasis in SWMT).

garizzalies said:
I think the best steak in Butte is the Rib eye at the Depot. You can smell that place from blocks away.
The best steak in SWMT is the tenderlion at Barkleys in canooch (i don't consider the oasis in SWMT).

The Depot in Butte???? Do you mean the Derby?

I think Barclays in Anaconda is overrated, as is Lydias in Butte.

There is not much to see or do in Vermillion. However, if time permits, head south down to Omaha and enjoy the dining in Omaha. Omaha is top notch place to dine. Also the new home of the College Worlds Series, and the Century Link arena are pretty nice sporting venues to take in. Old Market in Downtown Omaha is a great experience for anyone. I will be road tripping it up to Vermillion from Omaha for the game.

Back