• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Rivalry Game

PeauxRouge

I know it's been bitched about before but I wanted to bitch about it just a touch more. Why the f@ck do you schedule your rivalry games on a Monday!?! I like to take my Dad and my kids to the game here in Bozeman, so I went online to check tickets and realized the game is on a Monday and thus my kids can't go on a school night and my Dad won't be able to make it to town, either. I don't know if they felt that it was better to do it on a Monday with less competition on TV, but they lose people that would pay monet and actually travel to the games, too. Scheduled them out of four tickets + other money lost on concessions, etc. Way to go.

In defense of Doug Fullerton he's a moron. Bush league move by a bush league conference.

grizd said:
In defense of Doug Fullerton he's a moron. Bush league move by a bush league conference.

This.

I know whenever the "move-up" conversations start, all anyone talks about is football. But damn, the GRIZ BB teams would look awfully good in a better conference. You know, one that has an even number of teams, doesn't schedule rivalry games on Mondays, and one which doesn't have 8 teams with RPIs in the 300s. :?

PeauxRouge said:
I don't know if they felt that it was better to do it on a Monday with less competition on TV,..

Maybe to make it up to the Monday Night Football crowd that spills out of the bars about that time. Better for them to pass out on campus that in the gutters. :lol:

EverettGriz said:
grizd said:

This.

I know whenever the "move-up" conversations start, all anyone talks about is football. But damn, the GRIZ BB teams would look awfully good in a better conference. You know, one that has an even number of teams, doesn't schedule rivalry games on Mondays, and one which doesn't have 8 teams with RPIs in the 300s. :?

That's one of the main reasons I'm such a fan of moving up. I love football, but I'm more of a basketball fan and a move up would tremendously help the Griz BB program by putting them in less messed up higher RPI conference.

This conference is such a mess right now with 8203745 teams. So little room now on the schedule to get non-conference opponents. It's hard enough getting good non-conference opponents now we have very limited slots to try to schedule those opponents. Instead we get to play a bunch of sub 250 rpi teams (everyone in the Big Sky last year except Weber, the Griz and UND which was 221).

Not only that we end up with weird schedules, like 4 game road trips in conference in a fairly short period of time, big rivalries falling at the END of that on a freakin Monday and the same for home stands.

Every Griz/Cat game except 1 going back to the 2001-2002 season has been on a weekend. The 1 that I found which wasn't was on a Thursday @MSU. All the others fell on a weekend day (one was on a Sunday).

We also have lots and lots of games with 1 days rest this year too, as do I'm sure every other team in the Big Sky. Looking at the 2005-2006 season, conference games on 1 days rest happened 4 times total. This year it happens 9 times, including our game here against the Cats when we play SUU 2 days before.

Ok, Potomac, I'll bite... because I'm convinced the men's and women's basketball programs could compete immediately in the mountain division of the Mountain West. And because I agree that the Big Sky is a logistic mess right now.

What teams do you add for a 16-team, two division Mountain West Conf.?

grizzlyjournal said:
Ok, Potomac, I'll bite... because I'm convinced the men's and women's basketball programs could compete immediately in the mountain division of the Mountain West. And because I agree that the Big Sky is a logistic mess right now.

Not sure how that would work for football. Plus it's pretty unlikely we get an invite for FB anyway into the MW :( For basketball though maybe it'd be a possibility? I agree the BB teams would fit very nicely in the Mountain West. Probably would be middle of the pack for a while, but it'd open up the doors to great things such as more visibility for our programs, more respect and thus more access to great recruits. Might even help keep a coach like Tinkle here longer and make it possible to pay a little more?

One thing I wonder is why can't the Griz be a football only member of the Big Sky, like Cal Poly and UC-Davis? That way the Griz could stay FCS in football, but explore other options in Basketball. Is there any reason the Griz BB programs couldn't move on to another conference while the FB program stays in the Big Sky?

The MW would be by far the best case scenario. They've been a top 5 conference the past 3 seasons in a row, including being the #1 conference for RPI last year. If the Griz could somehow find a way to break the chains of the Big Sky and move on for Basketball that would be the perfect conference to shoot for!

For basketball right now they have 11 teams. Not sure what 5 teams they could add to get that up to 16 and split it into two 8 team divisions. Maybe the following for travel partners:

Griz
Cats - Hopefully the Cats turn things around. Would be a travel partner for the Griz.
Weber - Travel partner with Utah State?
Hawaii maybe? Travel partner with Fresno?
Idaho maybe? Or some other team that makes sense... I'm just remembering the good ol' days of Idaho when they were good. Travel partner with Boise.

That's all just guessing though and wishful thinking of course. If the Griz are going to stay FCS for football I'd love to see them start exploring other options for basketball even if the Mountain West isn't a possibility.

PeauxRouge said:
I know it's been bitched about before but I wanted to bitch about it just a touch more. Why the f@ck do you schedule your rivalry games on a Monday!?! I like to take my Dad and my kids to the game here in Bozeman, so I went online to check tickets and realized the game is on a Monday and thus my kids can't go on a school night and my Dad won't be able to make it to town, either. I don't know if they felt that it was better to do it on a Monday with less competition on TV, but they lose people that would pay monet and actually travel to the games, too. Scheduled them out of four tickets + other money lost on concessions, etc. Way to go.
Idiotic scheduling....doesn't make sense why they did that.

Potomac Griz said:
grizzlyjournal said:

Not sure how that would work for football. Plus it's pretty unlikely we get an invite for FB anyway into the MW :( For basketball though maybe it'd be a possibility? I agree the BB teams would fit very nicely in the Mountain West. Probably would be middle of the pack for a while, but it'd open up the doors to great things such as more visibility for our programs, more respect and thus more access to great recruits. Might even help keep a coach like Tinkle here longer and make it possible to pay a little more?

One thing I wonder is why can't the Griz be a football only member of the Big Sky, like Cal Poly and UC-Davis? That way the Griz could stay FCS in football, but explore other options in Basketball. Is there any reason the Griz BB programs couldn't move on to another conference while the FB program stays in the Big Sky?

The MW would be by far the best case scenario. They've been a top 5 conference the past 3 seasons in a row, including being the #1 conference for RPI last year. If the Griz could somehow find a way to break the chains of the Big Sky and move on for Basketball that would be the perfect conference to shoot for!

For basketball right now they have 11 teams. Not sure what 5 teams they could add to get that up to 16 and split it into two 8 team divisions. Maybe the following for travel partners:

Griz
Cats - Hopefully the Cats turn things around. Would be a travel partner for the Griz.
Weber - Travel partner with Utah State?
Hawaii maybe? Travel partner with Fresno?
Idaho maybe? Or some other team that makes sense... I'm just remembering the good ol' days of Idaho when they were good. Travel partner with Boise.

That's all just guessing though and wishful thinking of course. If the Griz are going to stay FCS for football I'd love to see them start exploring other options for basketball even if the Mountain West isn't a possibility.

great post, potomac. no question football has driven the "move up" discussion, to the detriment of the bb program. this has turned me into a crotchety old crankpot on the subject, while you've come up with a creative solution. i like your idea.

Over the past 4-5 yerars, I've read some of the football threads discussing a move up. At first I thought it to be unrealistic. Now, I believe UM is in a perfect situation -- in all sports, since UM is working on a women's softball program -- to move up. The ONLY option is the Mountain West.

The best opportunity would be for the Pac (16? 18?) to invite a couple of the big dogs in the MW (Boise State? Colorado State???) to move up... thus opening the door for schools WITH OUTSTANDING FOOTBALL FAN SUPPORT to matriculate from the Big Sky and WAC to the Mountain West.

UM could be competitive in men's and women's basketball, and perhaps soccer. Volleyball should also be able to compete. Women's softball... yes! Men's baseball... I dunno.

My "Best Bets" for the Big Sky would be Montana, Idaho (you get the drift here), Eastern Washington and Montana State. From the WAC? -- New Mexico State (&Idaho, whether you consider the Vandals members of the WAC or Big Sky). Well, that's 4+1 extra. Any basic scrutiny would eliminate Weber State (football facilities) and Idaho State (ugh!) and Portland State (all facilities).

Yeah. Let's send a proposal to the MWC. Best scenario for Montana football (longterm future) would be the MWC. Hey Kent... you reading this?

grizzlyjournal said:
Over the past 4-5 yerars, I've read some of the football threads discussing a move up. At first I thought it to be unrealistic. Now, I believe UM is in a perfect situation -- in all sports, since UM is working on a women's softball program -- to move up. The ONLY option is the Mountain West.

The best opportunity would be for the Pac (16? 18?) to invite a couple of the big dogs in the MW (Boise State? Colorado State???) to move up... thus opening the door for schools WITH OUTSTANDING FOOTBALL FAN SUPPORT to matriculate from the Big Sky and WAC to the Mountain West.

UM could be competitive in men's and women's basketball, and perhaps soccer. Volleyball should also be able to compete. Women's softball... yes! Men's baseball... I dunno.

My "Best Bets" for the Big Sky would be Montana, Idaho (you get the drift here), Eastern Washington and Montana State. From the WAC? -- New Mexico State (&Idaho, whether you consider the Vandals members of the WAC or Big Sky). Well, that's 4+1 extra. Any basic scrutiny would eliminate Weber State (football facilities) and Idaho State (ugh!) and Portland State (all facilities).

Yeah. Let's send a proposal to the MWC. Best scenario for Montana football (longterm future) would be the MWC. Hey Kent... you reading this?
Do you really think "Kent" has any say in this? :roll:

PeauxRouge said:
It happens in every league. Sadly, it is all about the money. Whoever thought Oregon playing at Stanford on a Thursday night was a good thing? I agree with your sentiments. But, college athletics are not what they were and I think those days are gone forever. Rivalries no longer seem to matter as much as expanded leagues,and tv exposure. Students are afterthoughts, even at Montana....they should be allowed the best floor side seats but, like other places, they are confined to the ends...Don't know what the solution is for a small school with a low budget like Montana....just accept it and hope they win they win on the road to attract larger crowds at home.

james watson, the guy who co-discovered the structure of dna, once said: "if you're the smartest guy in the room, leave."

i say, if you're the best program in your conference by far, leave.

one route to the mwc was to have joined the wac fifteen years ago. we'd be in the mwc now. but i believe you always get a second chance in life, and when we do, we should jump on it.

citay said:
james watson, the guy who co-discovered the structure of dna, once said: "if you're the smartest guy in the room, leave."

i say, if you're the best program in your conference by far, leave.

one route to the mwc was to have joined the wac fifteen years ago. we'd be in the mwc now. but i believe you always get a second chance in life, and when we do, we should jump on it.
The trouble with that logic is that eventually you will outgrow even the top conference..I like Montana in the Big Sky. If UM and Weber and now, No. Colo can win on the road over some decent "big league" schools, the conference might get respect. Only Weber seems to have a solid history against the big time, with UM sneaking a few wins against Pac 12 teams...Montana will never have the money nor inclination to seek NCAA trophies. Nor will most of the schools in the NCAA...

Back