• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Rivalry Brewing (Oh Really?)

IdaGriz01

The "Championship Subdivision News" (CSN) offers an interesting proposition, authored by Teddy Renois, of the Daily Comet (whoever he is, and wherever that is). The link is http://www.championshipsubdivisionn.../rivalry-brewing-between-southland-big?blog=2
The headline says "Rivalry brewing between Southland, Big Sky conferences" and then he elaborates.
Teddy Renois said:
There is a rivalry brewing between the Southland Conference and Big Sky Conference which will be featured in two games on Saturday.

Teams from the Southland and Big Sky have met over the years in a number games giving credence to an under-the-radar rivalry between the two conferences.
Obviously, teams from the two conferences are likely to meet in the playoffs ... under the "geographical matchup" notion of the NCAA. But, somehow, it never has occurred to me to see a systematic rivalry between the two conferences. Personally, I think "under-the-radar" in mostly "not on radar," but apparently this guy sees it differently.

There's no rivalry. The Southland owns our asses the past two years. EWU, MSU, UM, it don't matter.

AZGrizFan said:
There's no rivalry. The Southland owns our asses the past two years. EWU, MSU, UM, it don't matter.
dont you mean SHSU? and pretty sure other than that one game in 2011 we have owned the southland conf in the playoffs...i guess we lost in lake charles in 03 also.

AZGrizFan said:
Two years does not make a rivalry. Montana is 15-5 against the Southland conf. and 3-2 against SHSU. The only Southland teams that have ever beaten Montana are SHSU and McNeese. So that is being "owned"? Get real.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
Two years does not make a rivalry. Montana is 15-5 against the Southland conf. and 3-2 against SHSU. The only Southland teams that have ever beaten Montana are SHSU and McNeese. So that is being "owned"? Get real.
thank you for taking time to look that up...or even better if you actually knew that off the top of your head! hahaha! im too lazy to look that up but i knew the southland has done ANYTHING but own the us....thanks for tossing out the numbers!

IdaGriz01 said:
Obviously, teams from the two conferences are likely to meet in the playoffs ... under the "geographical matchup" notion of the NCAA.

That, to me, is the 'sticking point,' to me. The Southland Conference has time after time having to go out on the road, to say, some places like Missoula, due to the 'geographic matchup' that the NCAA Selection Committee incorporates in their 'fair' appraisal of seeding teams for the FCS Playoffs. The members of the Southland take umbrage to that and I can see why, really, but who cares. Of course, what else would an outdated approach take in viewing an inconsequential level of play (FCS), especially in contrast to the BCS and the SEC, for instance? All the champion of the FCS gets is but a mere trophy, anyways. While the loser of the Rose Bowl gets $ 14 million!!!

The NCAA knows where their priorities lie. Seed the FCS geographically no matter what. Who cares? The NCAA don't make no money on the FCS, anyways. So just dish out a cursory playoff bracket that has nine out the top ten teams (AP Poll and all others for what good it does) in one region and the one other top team in another amongst a bunch of lackies; all arranged geograhically. Makes logical good sense when it all doesn't matter anyways. Hand out the trophy and go back home, will ya. Quit taking up my precious time; don't you know who I am?

Back