• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

report of sorts

yogi

http://www.gogriz.com/sports/m-footbl/mont-m-footbl-body.htmlhttp://" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, since this doesn't work for me, go to gogriz.com for report, your friend, yogi

Aug. 6, 2013

Second-year University of Montana head coach Mick Delaney and his staff welcomed 95 veterans and newcomers this afternoon (Tuesday, August 6) as the Grizzlies held their first practice of fall camp in Washington-Grizzly Stadium.

"I thought it went okay today, but not good enough," said Delaney. "I thought our energy was pretty darn good, as was our mental attention. Obviously it's the first practice, and we're going to get better day-by-day. I just told the players that was an 8-4 practice, and nobody is going to be happy with an 8-4, record and we've got to get better.

"I saw a lot of good things out of our quarterbacks and receivers, and a lot of good things out of our cornerbacks and safeties, and our linebackers too," Delaney said. "There's some good stuff all the way around - we just cannot be complacent and think we're there after just one day by any stretch."

Those 95 players came to UM from 14 different states. Thirty-five of those players, or 37 percent are from Montana. The next largest contingent hails from the state of Washington with 18, followed by California (13), Oregon (9), Arizona (7), Idaho (3), Hawaii (2), and South Dakota (2).

The Griz also have one player on their roster from the states of Colorado, Iowa, Indiana, Minnesota, Texas, and Utah.

Montana returns 19-plus starters and 43 lettermen from a year ago. The Griz added 21 players from the high school ranks last February, and added a few more walk-ons for fall camp.

New to the program and in fall camp are a pair of sophomore transfers, wide receiver Jamaal Jones and fullback Jamal Wilson. Jones is a 6-1, 188-pound speedster from the University of Washington, while Wilson is a 5-11, 238-pounder from Boise State.

"Some of our younger guys, along with our two new transfers, Jones and Wilson, are really going to help this football team," Delaney said. "He (Jones) is experienced, and he's fast, and he knows how to use his body to get to the football. He did some good things today.

"We've got a freshman, Dominique Bobo (who is a 6-3, 175-pound wide receiver and UM track recruit from Wichita Falls, Texas) who ran a 46.8 (400 meters) last year in the state of Texas, and he ran by a few guys today, and it looks like he can catch the ball well too,"he said.
The Griz also had two four-year transfers participate in spring drills in sophomore linebacker Kendrick Van Ackern from the University of Hawaii, and junior running back Travon Van, who played at Marshall the past two seasons. UM's sole junior college transfer is sophomore cornerback Jamaal Anderson from San Bernardino College, who was also here this past spring.

Two new prep additions are wide receiver Tra Ludeman and offensive lineman Cameron Rokich. Ludeman is a quarterback/defensive back from Charlo High School. Rokich (from Juan Diego Catholic High School in West Jordan, Utah) had committed to play for the Griz last February, and was not going to enroll at UM until the winter semester, but he was invited to participate in fall camp.

GRIZ NOTES

NUMBER CHANGES: Three players made number changes this fall. Freshman tight end Jordan Harper (from Great Falls) is #49 (he was 85); sophomore linebacker Addison Owen (from Vancouver, Wash.) is now number 9 (from 49), and Van Ackern (from Bellevue, Wash.) who wears #35 (he wore #6 in spring football).

ALWAYS IN THE GAME: Montana had the lead in five of the six games it lost in 2012, and its largest loss was 10 points.

TRIPP ON CAREER LISTS: Senior linebacker Jordan Tripp (Missoula) now has 235 career tackles, which places him 24th on the career list. The all-time leader is safety Vince Huntsberger (from Libby), who had 393 from 1998-2001. Tripp now has 25 career tackles for loss, which places him 11th in Griz history. The all-time leader there is the late Tim Bush (from Kellogg, Idaho), who had 32.9 TFLs at defensive end from 2000-03. He is tied for third in school history with safety Todd Ericson (a native of Butte, who played from 1990-93) with seven career recovered fumbles. The record-holder is former linebacker Mike Rankin (from Edmonds, Wash.) who had nine from 1985, 1987-89.

JOHNSON & MCKINNEY ON SINGLE-SEASON PASSING YARDS LIST: Junior quarterback Jordan Johnson (Eugene, Ore.) passed for 2,400 yards in 2011 - the 21st most in a season at UM. Sophomore quarterback Trent McKinney (Mililani, Hawaii) had 1,350 passing yards last season, which ranks him 30th on the single-season list.

bigkid said:
I like Delaney's approach. Don't settle...keep working to get better :thumb:
I like his approach too, keep blowing smoke up everyone ass, it keeps the fizz faithful pacified :shock:

Speaking of blowing smoke up asses, 2506 should look in the Ash mirror. Nothing but flowers come out of him. The way this pre-season is starting out Cat fans better keep it at a hush. The Griz are ready to roll to the top and the Cats are ready to have their usual mediocre season after an off season of puffing up their respective chests.

If anyone reports on anything Griz related Mick is going to be pissed and close the practices. If it happens after that he wont even let the players participate in practices so nobody AND I MEAN NOBODY will have anything to comment on.

:coffee:

Cats2506 said:
bigkid said:
I like his approach too, keep blowing smoke up everyone ass, it keeps the fizz faithful pacified :shock:
And who would no better than an rob ass groupie :pray:

2506, I cannot wait for the Griz to beat the kitties this year. It might even shut you up for a few days. Actually, it probably won't. I'm sure you'll come up with some excuse.

The Griz have a lot of talent this year. I hope your coaching staff can get the best out of them. I look at your coaching staff as the biggest question mark. It's not the talent.

firmgriz said:
2506, I cannot wait for the Griz to beat the kitties this year. It might even shut you up for a few days. Actually, it probably won't. I'm sure you'll come up with some excuse.
Its gonna be a long year for you then, because I just don't see it happening with the way things are stacking up right now.

Bear Axed said:
Aug. 6, 2013

"I saw a lot of good things out of our quarterbacks and receivers, and a lot of good things out of our cornerbacks and safeties, and our linebackers too," Delaney said. "There's some good stuff all the way around - we just cannot be complacent and think we're there after just one day by any stretch."

Is it just me, or W.T.F.???

Cats2506 said:
firmgriz said:
Its gonna be a long year for you then, because I just don't see it happening with the way things are stacking up right now.

And how are things stacking up right now? Is it that the Kitties line is as deep as the mud pits outside that arena you call a stadium?

bigsky33 said:
The Griz have a lot of talent this year. I hope your coaching staff can get the best out of them. I look at your coaching staff as the biggest question mark. It's not the talent.
Who do you think got the talent? Mick did well recruiting for Robin when he was the coach and he has done very well for himself. Changing to some pro sets will be what helps this team out the most especially in the red zone. Not worried about the coaching at all.

Cats2506 said:
firmgriz said:

Things were stacked up pretty well for the cants a couple yrs ago in november (ranked #1) weren't they? Loved the 2 week disappearing act you played then. Have a few hairballs to cough up after that one eh kitty?

FUCK YEAH, I can't wait for the revenge tour '13....Just like '11...this program NEVER takes more than a year after a coaching change to curb stomp everyone up again.

Biggest coaching question mark is not Mick. It is the second year coordinators. Mick learned his lesson last year and will be there to lay the hammer down off the field and make sure coaches are prepared. ...and for the media.

bigkid said:

I'm sorry Mick but "working to get better" ain't gonna cut it this season. I hope you have more up your sleeve then that.

CV, just curious, what did you expect? That the Griz should be ready to play App. State on Wednesday night? And After one effin practice they don't need to improve anymore??? Even the true frosh should be ready to go even though they only saw a playbook this morning???? Your post was the real WTF in this thread@!!!

Back