• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Pro-Style Offense

grizatwork

DONOR
Not the best fit for the personnel of the team and not the reason you think. The offense we want to run requires good run blocking tight ends. None of them are big enough or experienced enough at tight end to be a pro-style tight end yet. They are getting pushed back into the backfield by defensive ends. If we are not winning on first down, play action is not scaring anyone on second or third. No one is buying play action on 3rd and 9. We are a better passing team with the 5 wide package. More short, intermediate, and long routes to choose from and JJ is more dangerous with his legs with the defense more spread out. Just my opinion.

being that we have had great success with the passing game (henderson, jones and cam) also scoring 27 tds passing and 19 rushing we could see more of this for the reasons you stated.
in addition if we get saylor and walcott back this should add more to this scenario.

I know the old saying that the run sets up the pass but it sure seems to me that this team is just the opposite. JJ is a passer and is almost as accurate on the run as in the pocket so lets use that to our advantage. Teams that have looked at film and listen to any of the post game / pregame coaches shows know we are committed to the run first so they simply stack the box.

Many of the people I watch the games with are saying the same thing. One is annoyed that we run the ball so much on first down. I checked the stats for the Sac game.

First Down Plays: Rush & Pass Att-Yardage

1st Qtr: Rush 5-41; Pass 4-(-4)
2nd Qtr: Rush 3-5; Pass 2-92
3rd Qtr: Rush 5-31; Pass 5-54
4th Qtr: Rush 1-3; Pass 6-69
OT: Rush 0-0; Pass 1-25
For the Game: Rush 14, Pass 18

Relatively balanced with a slightly higher rush percentage early in the game, a higher percentage of passing later in the game, and overall a higher percentage of passing on first down. This includes four times under 10 yards and goal.

oGriz said:
Many of the people I watch the games with are saying the same thing. One is annoyed that we run the ball so much on first down. I checked the stats for the Sac game.

First Down Plays: Rush & Pass Att-Yardage

1st Qtr: Rush 5-41; Pass 4-(-4)
2nd Qtr: Rush 3-5; Pass 2-92
3rd Qtr: Rush 5-31; Pass 5-54
4th Qtr: Rush 1-3; Pass 6-69
OT: Rush 0-0; Pass 1-25
For the Game: Rush 14, Pass 18

Relatively balanced with a slightly higher rush percentage early in the game, a higher percentage of passing later in the game, and overall a higher percentage of passing on first down. This includes four times under 10 yards and goal.
This has been going on for a while. Someone stated that in the first 3 qtr vs EWU we ran 17 of 23 times on 1st down. I'm not sure we know who we are right now....and we're 7-2. Bonus!! :egriz:

Latest posts

Back