• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Preseason 1-AA Picks

Is it a biased committee?

• Profusely biased.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Somewhat biased.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fairly Objective.

• Who cares!

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

77 players total on 1st, 2nd, and honorable mention teams. Offense and defense combined. One Griz player in the entire list. Johnny Varona, and at honorable mention on defense. Do the members of the selection committee just throw all the starters in 1-AA into a hat and hope for a good showing with what they pull??????? This has got to be politicking at its worst. Ciche Picher not on first team defense??????? Trey Young not even getting a look??????? I could go on. But please take a look for yourself. http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=20559

Although I voted "somewhat biased" I should have hit the "who cares" since the only list that counts comes at the end of the season. There will be Griz aplenty on that one. All this pre-season bs does is remind our players that a winning season and a NC is not a given. There are a bunch of good players and teams out there and all would love to knock the bear down. The Griz will be ready!

Always like to clip those Eagles, Dad. Affraid though, that the toughest Eagles the Griz will face this year are from the Big Sky conf. Sorry Dad, your Eagles won't be there at the end.

parr90 said:
Of course you would like to knock the eagles down now wouldnt you son.

Parr, gramps, tell us, exactly, where your Eagles were mentioned in this thread. EXACTLY. I cant seem to find it. Could it be that, once again, you spew before you chew? I say this because, as you know all too well, I tried explaining the simple fact to you elsewhere that our state has less than a million people total. Whereas, the state of Georgia has cities alone with that number and greater. One too many root beers? Gramps.

Not having 1-AA All Americans has been a recent formula for championships. Aside from Adrian Peterson and Freddy Pesquiera, Georgia Southern had almost no national recognition on All American lists in 1999 and 2000. The Griz and Eagles seem to have something in common (which is why they dominate 1-AA) -- a couple of star-caliber players and then a supporting cast that is mostly underrated.

As for the Eagles not being around at the end, we'll have to wait and see. There are a lot of question marks (certainly far fewer than the experience-laden Griz), but the overall speed and athletic ability of teh team is as high or higher than ever, and we've likely never seen a defense this good in Statesboro. Hopefully, out QB situation will be a positive and if so, it could be another march to Chattanooga. Hope to see you there!! I'll be pulling for the boys from Mizzoula up until a playoff matchup with GSU. Most of your fans are knowlegable and passionate. Like GSU, you have a few idiots, but doesn't every team!! I know we have a couple of villages in South Georgia that miss their idiots during football season!! 8) Overall, though, I like the Griz fans, because they have the same swagger that Eagle fans have and I think for the most part, the two programs respect one another for their accomplishments.

And we both think Hofstra is a joke.

Thanks for the kind words Mr. Rockin. I do think that Griz fans respect the GSU program. Gsu and Ysu have great 1-AA programs. The Griz should be mentioned in that same category as the two pre-mentioned. Though we are a few titles short, we have been the winningest team over the last 13 years in 1-AA. I would love to play the eagals this year in the championship! But then again.... I would just love to get back.

I think our programs have set the bar so high that it may become unreachable. We need to keep things in perspective. Out of 120+ 1-AA programs, only 16 make the playoffs. And all of the 16 go home upset, less one. It is a pretty amazing feat to get those rings. We will enjoy be called the champs all year! You just never know when the next one will come.

As for hofstra.......we'll get back to you on that one in about seven weeks! I can not wait!

The only award that matters is the team award which you won last year. The # of all america selections is just for bragging rights. What would you rather have, 6 all americans and no national championship or no all americans a ring?

I'd like both! :D

But if your going to make me pick one......well its a no-brainer. Football is a team sport.... you win or lose as a team. Let's get that third ring this year!

Back