• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Preferred First Round Play-off Opponent?

IdaGriz01

Here's some "hot news" you may have missed:
TSN said:
San Diego withdraws from possible playoff bid
They currently lead the Pioneer Football League, but withdrew because they had financial aid policies that were "incompatible with PFL rules." The full, but brief item is at http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/...network&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4639816

TSN said:
In the 12-team PFL, which has unbalanced scheduling, the playoff bid will go to Butler (8-3, 6-1), Marist (7-3, 6-1), Mercer (9-1, 5-1) or Drake (6-4, 5-2). There are two weekends remaining in the regular season.
Pay no attention to the comment about Drake -- they already have two conference losses and have to play San Diego in their final game

Marist is probably the best of the one-loss teams in that they actually played a full FCS schedule. Of course, Georgetown (1-8) doesn't count much because they are awful in football. Marist had a close (2-point) loss at San Diego. Their final game is at home, against Mercer -- which they should win.

Mercer has two more games: at Marist, and vs Stetson (2-7 overall). Mercer's record looks impressive until you discover that three of their wins were against two NAIA teams (which are 5-4 and a 0-10), and a 1-9 Division-III opponent. San Diego clobbered Mercer 45-13. In any case, either Marist or Mercer will end the season with 2 losses, and I'm guessing it will be Mercer.

That leaves Butler, which also got clobbered by San Diego, 42-14. Their final game is at Morehead State (3-7), which managed to lose to a mediocre NAIA school. So Butler should win that final game. (Two of Butler's wins, BTW, were against D-III opponents.)

That would leave a tie between Butler and (probably) Marist. God knows how their tie-breaker works, but those teams fall somewhere around UC-Davis and North Dakota in Gridiron Power Index. Still, one of them will get an automatic bid.

Bring on NDSU early to get the toughest team out of the way early, win or lose. lol.

By the way, I know that won't happen.

Somebody towards the west. Perhaps a 3rd team selection from either Southland or MVC. If we play a first round game, I'm guessing either South Dakota State or McNeese State

I know they won't get sent way out here, but Coastal Carolina. Be cool to see a team the Griz have never played before.

kurtismichael said:
I know they won't get sent way out here, but Coastal Carolina. Be cool to see a team the Griz have never played befo

re.

That would be some pretty fun culture shock.

SirGriz said:
I think we're getting ahead of ourselves. Focus on Weber.

Buzz_Killington.jpg

I'm hoping for a team like Elon :thumb:

They're just like the Bobkittens, they get into the play offs quiet a bit,
but never get past the 1st round.

Bear Axed said:

Hate to be THAT guy, but Elon have only been to the playoffs twice...

G-BEARS said:
Bear Axed said:

Hate to be THAT guy, but Elon have only been to the playoffs twice...

He said "quiet", not quite. :wink:

Never mind. I just looked them up. Why were they listed on the playoff brackets a few weeks ago. They don't look very good.

Back