• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: Redemption

BWahlberg

DONOR
Last year's loss was at UND was probably the straw that broke the camel's back for the Griz, I think that was the loss that cost us any hopes of the playoffs and of course there were the passing records set against us.

That's why redemption tonight felt so great. The game opened with more of the same, UND marching right now the field and attacking the pass defense with ease. I had a sinking feeling, "uh oh, here we go." But the Griz showed something, they're a veteran team that didn't easily get rattled and they answered fast - then the D started making plays. UND meanwhile showed their youth and inexperience, quickly losing their edge after that first interception and not really getting it back. I hope it's a smooth and fun trip back for the team, this was a very good win and I hope it sets the tone for the rest of the season.

So here's some observations of mine.

The good stuff:

- UND came in expecting the power-run, but what'd they catch? Jordan Johnson and our receivers showing their strength. TraVon Van, Ellis Henderson, and Jamaal Jones early on set the tone. Great game plan by Hynson and Gragg to trick UND who was stacking 8 in the box until they were down 3 scores. They did not think the Griz were going to pass this much, and nor should they have especially after SDSU gashed them on the ground last week.

- Regardless who was on the O-line the pass protection and run blocking was very good. I haven't seen final stats yet but I do believe Jordy wasn't sacked once and the the ypc on ground has to be pretty solid. OK I found them on ESPN.com (thanks for nothing gogriz.com). No sacks and 6.3 ypc for the ground game. The O-line made this explosion on offense happen today, the whole group was incredible tonight.

- Jordan Johnson should be a front-runner for Big Sky player of the week 15-19 passing, 354 yards, 5 TDs, no picks, add in another 21 rushing yards. This guy is dialed in right now and his corps of WRs are benefiting from it as well. Jordy hit 9 receivers (think he hit 11 two weeks ago). He only missed 4 passes, and I think only 2 against App.

- 609 total yards of offense tonight. 376 passing and 233 rushing. Great work all around offense. No punts until mop-up duty, and while the ESPN stats don't show it I think the Griz converted every 3rd down except one in the late 4th.

- UND came into the 2nd half with 230 passing yards, they finished the game with 281. Good adjustments. That one TD drive they had was a little gross but overall the pass D tightened up. Goodwin is looking like a very solid corner, multiple pass break ups and frustrated the WRs he was on. Tully and Hermanson had more issues today than against App but I think only once were they beat over the top and after the first drive they didn't allow anything past them, which I know was the game plan. It was an assumption that UND will get some yards, heck they had 45 pass attempts today. Our pass D isn't like what we saw in 2011 yet but it's much better than last years and I like what I'm seeing so far.

- Good to see that what appears to be most of the injuries must not have been real bad ones. Hines returned, Poehls was walking around on the sideline, Dennard came back after a cramp. The only one that looked bad was Jeremiah Kose's. That looked like a bad landing and twist on his knee, someone at the game told me on twitter that shortly after no one was getting attention from the trainers so hopefully it was just a sprain.

- +2 in turnovers, Harris's looked like it came right at him, Tripp's was impressive.

- Jordan Canada was more of the showcase running back tonight and he really shined. 104 yards and 2 TDs with one of them being very impressive. Canada once again had more carries than Van and ran well, but both finished up with a similar YPC average. Of course Van had some more impressive plays and added in that 70 yard TD grab right out of the gate as well. Both of these backs continue to impress me with their versatility and the ability to just tear it up even sharing carries.

- Jamal Wilson could go down as one of the best additions to the team in the off-season that doesn't show up much in the box score. How many times were big Van and Canada runs sprung free by a crushing Wilson block? Or how often was Jordy given extra time by a nice blitz pick up or DE block? That guy doesn't show up much in the stats but has been a major part of the success on offense so far.

- How about the wheels on Joey Counts?

- The front 4 on the D-line had a very good night rushing the QB, I saw on twitter that Wags had 3 sacks. The interior pressure wasn't there like it was against App but the edge pressure sure was. Also a few great blitzing sacks, Hermansons was the most impressive.

- I liked the look of the 2 point conversion, very well run and executed. I do kind of question the timing of it, however you've got to get that in, so doing it when the game was settled maybe makes sense.

- Great group of Griz fans there, could hear them cheering throughouth.

OK some areas of needed improvement

- Obviously the main concern is the kicking game. Chris Lider doinked 1 PAT and had another blocked. I had someone mention to me to watch his motion/timing, he's very slow to get his steps/motion going once the ball has been snapped. I almost expected to see Worst get a shot. Missed PATs are rapidly forgotten by most in blowouts but I've said this before, if the kicking game doesn't improve it may cost us a game. That needs to be improved, the timing, the consistency, all of it.

- Middle of the field pass D wasn't the greatest. I'll give it a bit of a pass because I do know that was part of the plan, allow some stuff in the short/middle and contain the top/deep routes. It kind of came together that way for sure but for a few drives it was frustrating to see UND keep picking up 3rd downs in the middle of the field.

- A little too much contact from our corners when facing 1 on 1 coverage. Some of those pass interference calls were questionable but pulling jerseys and contacting like that downfield picked up a few first downs.

--------

Not a lot to really complain about. I'm enjoying this win a lot. OKPSU is up next where hopefully some of our digned up players can rest up and maybe get the game off or get limited reps. I really like where the Griz are at. The defense has allowed 23 points in two games while the offense has scored 85 points and rolled up over 1100 total yards of offense.

Great win Griz - redemption feels so good!

BWahlberg said:
-Regardless who was on the O-line the pass protection and run blocking was very good. I haven't seen final stats yet but I do believe Jordy wasn't sacked once and the the ypc on ground has to be pretty solid. OK I found them on ESPN.com (thanks for nothing gogriz.com). No sacks and 6.3 ypc for the ground game. The O-line made this explosion on offense happen today, the whole group was incredible tonight.

- Jamal Wilson could go down as one of the best additions to the team in the off-season that doesn't show up much in the box score. How many times were big Van and Canada runs sprung free by a crushing Wilson block? Or how often was Jordy given extra time by a nice blitz pick up or DE block? That guy doesn't show up much in the stats but has been a major part of the success on offense so far.

These impressed me the most.

The two point conversion wasn't to run the score up but rather give UND and other teams a look and to take pressure off the all out attempt to block the PAT's which teams have been getting very close to doing the first couple games. Well executed...

Great post-game assessment once again BW.
I am most impressed by our run defense. I think we held them around 100 yards or so. Our secondary has shown great improvement over last year, and I think it will carry us deep into the post season.
Great win for the Griz, and I can't wait until conference play starts after OKPSU.

biga75 said:
I am most impressed by our run defense. I think we held them around 100 yards or so. Our secondary has shown great improvement over last year, and I think it will carry us deep into the post season.
Great win for the Griz, and I can't wait until conference play starts after OKPSU.

Be more impressed it was 55 yards

YttriumGriz39 said:
biga75 said:

I was just shooting from the hip, but yes 55 is a whole helluva lot better. Go Griz!!!

Brother Bear said:
The two point conversion wasn't to run the score up but rather give UND and other teams a look and to take pressure off the all out attempt to block the PAT's which teams have been getting very close to doing the first couple games. Well executed...

Good point

biga75 said:
YttriumGriz39 said:
biga75 said:

I was just shooting from the hip, but yes 55 is a whole helluva lot better. Go Griz!!!

And how much of that 55 came on their last drive? Great effort on D tonight.

Good analysis as usual. My favorite play was Hermy absolutely crushing the UND QB on that blitz. He timed it perfectly and was untouched....outstanding call by Greograk after rushing 3 or 4 most of the game.

I know it's a ways off but the EWU game is going to be a battle. They looked real good again and played Toledo toe to toe in a close loss. Adams is an impressive QB.........

lider kicks the ball too low......can't get the ball in the end zone, tends to chokes on kicks that count Ie. after first td and game is still in question....we had better get a handle on this and quick..imo...

I think Wags had 3 sacks? And the announcer was saying that a couple of those were against one of their best linemen - a top 10 BSC lineman.?

grizeyes said:
I think Wags had 3 sacks? And the announcer was saying that a couple of those were against one of their best linemen - a top 10 BSC lineman.?

Hmm, wasn't on any pre season list, maybe a 2nd team or honorable mention kid coming off last years season?

I believe it was their left tackle - maybe he's a top 10 on team no nick? Ha.
It was 9 for 10 on third down. Only miss was last in the last series.

grizeyes said:
I believe it was their left tackle - maybe he's a top 10 on team no nick? Ha.
It was 9 for 10 on third down. Only miss was last in the last series.

Yeah 9/10 on 3rd down is crazy good. And i think the Griz scored two TDs... Maybe 3 on 3rd down conversions as well.

Redemption, revenge, out to prove a point, etc, This is one damn impressive team so far. Hell with impressive. I will go with dominant impressive. The only weakness on this team is kicking. It has to get better though.

Whatever you want to call this season so far, GRIZ NATION was brought together by the Jordan Johnson Trial. The moment the "not guilty" verdict was announced, GRIZ NATION was reborn.
Seriously, I remember all the joy that day on egriz. We as fans were excited. Can you imagine how much more this did for the coaches and players?

It looks like every coach and player committed themselves to this season 100% the second last season ended. Gregorak said the hell with this weak ass safe coverage. He had to tell those boys to prepare themselves because the hand holding was over! Someone told those dbs you all will be personally accountable, you need to hold up your share of the defense. I don't know what was said or what they did in the off season. I am impressed with the improved schemes, and the results. As expected, our Front 7 is nasty and dominating. Scarier yet, Jessie Ginn is taking advantage of the snaps he does get in. That boy is making his presence felt the few snaps he gets. Lebsock is looking damn good out there too.

Offensively, many laughed, or at the very least wondered about how 2 OC's would go? 2 games in, this offense looks unstoppable. JJ is making every play the staff calls. Our OL is excellent, nasty, and deep. How many weapons can an offense have? Christ sakes, every rotational player is being utilized as well as possible. Van, Canada, Counts, Henderson, Jones, Harper, Walcott, Nacarrato, Warren, Anderson, and we still have yet to see much of Haynes, Saylor, and Pierson. JJ is making every throw possible. He's always been smart and accurate. However, he has added zip, and I am guessing 15 to 20 yards to his passes (mayor do the honorable thing and at least admit he has more than adequate arm strength now). This offense has 2 #1 rb's (Canada/Van), and 2 #1 WR's (Henderson/Jones).

I doubt we face a more talented WR core than UND all season. The 1st drive of the game and the last drive of the 1st half were the only possessions UND sustained through the air all game. Even the announcers said that was due to the GRIZ protecting deep. Hold a pass happy team like that to under 300 is a major accomplishment, and it will build this defense's confidence. Goodwin and Harris each did great jobs against UND. Not many teams will shut down Hardin (sp?) like that. By the way the tackling looks much improved. Tully and Hermanson looked pretty solid out there after the 1st possession. I do believe it is very possible this secondary can get quite a bit better also.

We are almost playing too good. Right now this team definitely looks like a contender to challenge for a national championship. The tell tale games will be to see how MSU and EWU fair against UND. Those will be good measuring stick games to judge the teams by. I highly doubt UND gets that badly beat rest the season.

Finally, I am surprised I have not seen it posted here yet. Do you know what else has returned to this team?

"SWAGGER" The defense is showing it more every game. The offense now has it too. Watch the reaction of Henderson after his 3rd TD. He finally showed some cockiness after that, and I actually think he held back some too. Ellis Henderson has officially arrived to stay Big Sky.
Another sign of swagger, Delaney choosing to kick right at Hardin. He put faith and challenged his boys to shut him down, and they did!!!! He wanted our guys to hit him as often as possible. They kicked to him to make a statement. I do know Lider could have kicked the ball into the endzone, if that was asked of him.

The coaching strategy and execution so far this season is saying "The GRIZ will not back down to anyone, and we are up to the challenge." JUST BRING IT and may the best team win!!!!

I love this attitude and swagger so far. I pray they can sustain it all year. As I end this, I am wondering how tough it will be for a team to do this every game this season? Instead of questioning it, I will enjoy it as long as it last. GO GRIZ!!!!

Ha, great post mtgriz!

Seeing lots of great stuff from the coaches and this team! It's going to be a wild season.

Kodiak said:
Good analysis as usual. My favorite play was Hermy absolutely crushing the UND QB on that blitz. He timed it perfectly and was untouched....outstanding call by Greograk after rushing 3 or 4 most of the game.

I know it's a ways off but the EWU game is going to be a battle. They looked real good again and played Toledo toe to toe in a close loss. Adams is an impressive QB.........

My favorite was Ginn's TFL and the UND announcers saying "He engulfed the ball carrier." Ginn looked good out there in his few plays. :thumb:

Right on MtGriz. I was just saying it will be very difficult to play at this level all season with no let downs - they are playing hungry!

Back