• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: Playoff bound + incredible senior efforts

BWahlberg

DONOR
First and foremost, congrats to the Grizzlies on their win today, a 9 win Montana team is a LOCK for the playoffs - regardless the outcome next week. Congrats to the Griz, getting back to this point accomplishes one team goal and in 1-weeks time they'll have a chance to achieve another, beating the Cats. The other nice thing is that it would seem a home playoff game is also guaranteed. If the Griz get a seed, they're set for at least one. If the Griz don't get a seed they'll out-bid anyone else and host a game.

Secondly, a big THANK YOU tot he seniors on this Grizzly team for all of the memories. The home crowd was kind of crappy today with a ton of people missing. Many for real concerns of a dangerous drive, but the fairweather students not showing up bugged me. However, this group of seniors has been through quite a bit, two to three new coaches (depending on what year they joined), their only conference championship stripped from them, and the ups and downs of last year and this spring. That's all behind them now, these guys played very well today and made sure that we, as fans, will get at least one more chance to cheer them on in Wa Griz.

It was kind of a funky game on the field with Jordan Johnson going out at the half after getting knocked around and feeling sick, however the ground game was churning today against a very poor Weber defense.

Here's the positives I saw today:

- The running game was on fire and it was missing 2 of it's 3 top backs. It needs to be pointed out that this was against a real bad Weber defense, however I'm hoping this is a spring board for the O-line as they head to Bozeman this coming weekend. The O-line dominated the line of scrimmage and the running backs started slow but got going as the game went on. Jordan Canada has a career day and despite his two fumbles I like the future of John Nguyen as a runner.

- The defense allowed 6 rushing yards, total. The defense forced 6 turnovers. The defense only allowed 6 points. Great game for the D. I saw someone on here posted they only allowed 10 yards in the 2nd half. Individual guys had incredible days, 2 picks for Tripp, 1 pick for Bienemann, 4 sacks, 1 forced fumble, and a hit that lead to a pick for Wags. Quite the game for a defense that just abused the Weber offense today.

- The power run set with Bienemann and Hagfors as blocking backs was a force to be reckoned with, I saw Stanford use that set all game a week back against Oregon. Looks like Kfense and Gragg took some notes from that game.

- It was cool to see Cam Warren step up and lead the receivers. Before the game I was talking with a fellow egrizzer that both Weber and MSU are going to probably double-team Ellis Henderson to prevent deep shots so we really need the other WRs to pick up the slack. Cam did that nicely today.

- Glad to see Jordy was presumably just sick. I was told he was given some concussion tests too, he did get knocked around a bit. Coming off the field he was all smiles, high fived a few teammates, and gave some fans a thumbs up. Having #10 under center next weekend is vital.

- How about Marlon Miles? Comes to the Griz to play corner, in 2012 opens spring camp as a starter but gets knocked all the way out of even ST duty. Converts to RB in the 2013 winter/spring drills but is still buried in depth. The whole time stuck through it and today got his first TD, on senior day. The sideline went nuts on that TD, his coach picked him up with a giant bear hug. I've met Marlon before, he's a real nice guy and I've had others say the same who know him as well. Glad he got a TD on a day that we celebrate all of our seniors.

Areas of improvement:

- Not much to gripe about in a win like that. The offense opened a little flat, I did predict that in my scouting report. I think my halftime prediction was a 17-6 Griz lead. I expected with it being senior day, coming off yet another late win, and with Pflu in the building - this team might have been a little distracted. Can't open flat next weekend, need to show the cats who is boss early.

- Ben Worst, work on those short kicks man! I'm not too upset about the 51 yard miss, that's a tough one to nail especially in the cold, but missing what was a 20-25 yard fieldgoal... those should be automatic.

- Only one real bad play with tackling concerns, the long-gainer by Bo Bolen. No defender is going to be perfect on every down. While I know this was against a rather inferior Weber these kind of tackling/defensive issues seem to be decreasing.

- Didn't like that in the 1st half the defense gave up 3 third down conversion and 1 4th down. They did buckle down in the 2nd half though.

- Ball security John Nguyen! Both fumbles looked like (live - haven't seen a reply) that he just never had that ball tucked away.

--------------

Honestly those concerns are relatively small considering this game was largely controlled by the Griz. My biggest gripe is something that carries over from this whole season. The fair weather student section. I think the students should lose a full section of seating after this season. They have regularly not packed their section, left early, or been checked out in games. Today that section was only maybe 1/4 full. While I don't think at this game there were fans that would have gladly shown up and taken those seats - it's been a continuing frustration of mine.

--------------

OK, so now it's officially Cat Week. The Griz can put to rest maybe one of the last demons from last year by guaranteeing the Cats can't get to the playoffs by giving them a 5th loss this coming weekend. It won't be easy, not by a long shot. This will be the 2nd toughest overall game and THE toughest road game the Griz will have played all season. The team is ready for this, if you stayed around to watch the team sing the fight song and then complete a prayer at the middle of the field, right after they all rushed to the Griz logo, jumping and hollering, chanting FTC FTC FTC! This team is amped up, I hope they get healthy (TraVon Van & Joey Counts!) and head to MSU ready to play their best game of the season.

Thanks again to the seniors on this GRIZ team, I'm looking forward to cheering you guys on some more in the playoffs, now go beat the cats!

GO GRIZ

According to Max Media's half time stats, both the Griz and Weber had a total of 198 yards of offense. The Griz finished with 461 and Weber with 202 -- got those figures from the ESPN box score. The official figures might vary a little, but who cares, the Griz defense completely shut the door after halftime.

Really happy to see the seniors finish the regular season home schedule with a nice win. I'm pretty confident, however, that it wasn't the last game at WA/Griz this season.

OldtiredGRiz said:
According to Max Media's half time stats, both the Griz and Weber had a total of 198 yards of offense. The Griz finished with 461 and Weber with 202 -- got those figures from the ESPN box score. The official figures might vary a little, but who cares, the Griz defense completely shut the door after halftime.

Really happy to see the seniors finish the regular season home schedule with a nice win. I'm pretty confident, however, that it wasn't the last game at WA/Griz this season.

The D really stepped it up in the 2nd half and shut the door, hopefully we'll get at least one more game at Wagriz. :thumb:

Mr. Greenjeans said:
OldtiredGRiz said:

The D really stepped it up in the 2nd half and shut the door, hopefully we'll get at least one more game at Wagriz. :thumb:
The last two games have had one vital, and very encouraging feature. This coaching staff finally seems to be able to make meaningful and effective half-time adjustments. As has been discussed at length here on eGriz, that has not always seemed to be the case. But now they have seem to have learned how to do that -- and/or have gotten better at getting the players to understand and execute the necessary changes.

IdaGriz01 said:
Mr. Greenjeans said:
OldtiredGRiz said:

The last two games have had one vital, and very encouraging feature. This coaching staff finally seems to be able to make meaningful and effective half-time adjustments. As has been discussed at length here on eGriz, that has not always seemed to be the case. But now they have seem to have learned how to do that -- and/or have gotten better at getting the players to understand and execute the necessary changes.

This^^^, they ran it north/south very succesfully, a couple of the long 2nd half drives they gashed Weber between the tackles and only threw a couple passes...worked out pretty well, let the Big Dogs eat. :D

Have to add from our NEZ perch it seemed they used more nickel packages, I like it.... :clap:

BWahlberg said:
My biggest gripe is something that carries over from this whole season. The fair weather student section. I think the students should lose a full section of seating after this season. They have regularly not packed their section, left early, or been checked out in games. Today that section was only maybe 1/4 full. While I don't think at this game there were fans that would have gladly shown up and taken those seats - it's been a continuing frustration of mine.

is this the same student section the team has been singing the victory song in front of at the end of games? that section always looks packed on the idiot box.

argh! said:
BWahlberg said:
My biggest gripe is something that carries over from this whole season. The fair weather student section. I think the students should lose a full section of seating after this season. They have regularly not packed their section, left early, or been checked out in games. Today that section was only maybe 1/4 full. While I don't think at this game there were fans that would have gladly shown up and taken those seats - it's been a continuing frustration of mine.

is this the same student section the team has been singing the victory song in front of at the end of games? that section always looks packed on the idiot box.

The student section was maybe a third full by the 2nd half. So I'd guess it's the song celebration is farther north in the stadium like the times I've seen it this year.

i would like to give a shout out to Kanangota..........he made some great stops, good underneath coverages, a few well played open field tackles, caused a quarterback turnover tackling low below the knees...he was dynamic and fundamentally sound.

Mr. Greenjeans said:
argh! said:
BWahlberg said:

The student section was maybe a third full by the 2nd half. So I'd guess it's the song celebration is farther north in the stadium like the times I've seen it this year.

I think they only sang in front of the student section at the end of the Poly game, and that was after they did their usual fight song in the north / east corner.

I am a student that sits in the student section, and while I hate to be ragged on, I have to agree. A lot of students leave during halftime and many don't seem to be interested in the game at all. Today's game was the most annoyed I've been while being in the student section; too many students thinking that the Griz game is the best place to day drink. @@ I hope the attitude in the student section changes for the (likely) playoff game we host.

As to the Griz, I completely agree that they can't count on MSU being depressed over their performance the last two weeks to win them this game. This is The Brawl, regardless of what happened the first 11 games of the season, the Griz need to play like it's do or die. MSU will likely be pissed about their recent performance, and there is no one on earth they would love to rebound against more than the Griz.

Anyway, go Griz! Exciting season and I can't wait to see what happens next week and beyond.

Good write up Brint, just two things I noticed. First, some of these seniors (the fifth year guys) have won conference championships in both 2009 and 2011. Also, the heavy set with Alex had been in for most the season.

Who in college football has a higher yards per carry average than the hyphenated one? Who would have thunk it/

Thurman Murman said:
Good write up Brint, just two things I noticed. First, some of these seniors (the fifth year guys) have won conference championships in both 2009 and 2011. Also, the heavy set with Alex had been in for most the season.

Good point, Coyle, Pierson, and Tripp all played in 2009 and then had to take red shirts for medical reasons.

And that heavy set, yeah I think they've used it most of the season but I don't recall with using both Bienemann and Hagfors (or Wilson) as dual fullbacks, weren't they previously just using one fullback and keeping a split-out WR or a 3rd blocking TE (like Saylor or Hagfors)?

I think they used that dual fullback scheme against App. State, but they seem to be using Alex a lot more...sounds good.

BWahlberg said:
Thurman Murman said:

Good point, Coyle, Pierson, and Tripp all played in 2009 and then had to take red shirts for medical reasons.

And that heavy set, yeah I think they've used it most of the season but I don't recall with using both Bienemann and Hagfors (or Wilson) as dual fullbacks, weren't they previously just using one fullback and keeping a split-out WR or a 3rd blocking TE (like Saylor or Hagfors)?

And Rominger too. I can't say for sure on the heavy set. I believe it was Wilson and Alex in there at the same time before.

Thurman Murman said:
BWahlberg said:
Thurman Murman said:

And Rominger too. I can't say for sure on the heavy set. I believe it was Wilson and Alex in there at the same time before.

I thought Rominger just redshirted in 2009 well regardless he was part of a conference championship team..

Question...if suu wins and the scats beat the griz...do the griz make the playoffs?

Never mind...saw the other thread...

cclarkblues said:
Who in college football has a higher yards per carry average than the hyphenated one? Who would have thunk it/

And he's nothing but a Touchdown Maker when he runs. :D :D

BWahlberg said:
Thurman Murman said:
BWahlberg said:
Thurman Murman said:

I thought Rominger just redshirted in 2009 well regardless he was part of a conference championship team..

Oh, didn't notice you said those others actually played in 2009. And yeah I believe he did redshirt, but I think he was on the scout team which is an often overlooked important part of the team. I know the scout team gets rings too so I guess I would consider him part of the championship team.

Back