• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: 580

BWahlberg

DONOR
580. That is how many yards Sac had against the Grizzly defense today, 168 rushing and 412 passing. I'm really glad the Griz won, they've now ensured a winning season, and they're two wins in the next three games away from landing in the post-season. There's some good to take away from this win but there's also a lot of frustrations that I have.

The biggest ongoing worry I have is that the defense is apparently getting worse as the season goes on. Here's the progression of yards allowed this season:

Sac: 580
EWU: 540
Poly: 403
Davis: 237
PSU: 511
NAU: 416
OPSU: 194
UND: 336
App: 328

Save the Davis game the Grizzly defense has not had a dominant performance on the field since September. Bobby Hauck always talked about he wants his teams playing their best football in November, well right now the defense is headed the opposite way.

Now it's not without some good stuff so I need to point that out today:

1. The defense forced 3 turnovers, all fumbles, off a team that I think had only lost 3 fumbles the whole season. Those three turnovers turned into 17 points. Awesome stuff.

2. When it mattered the most, in OT - just like the Poly game, the D did what was needed and held Sac to a field goal. I was worried that if our offense had to go score for score in continual OTs that Sac would have the edge.

However there is just an ugly side to this that's rearing it's head:

1. Tackling. Honestly for the most part I think the linebackers did a pretty good job. Coyle the best, JP had some punishing hits and a few misses. Tripp I don't think had the best game. Hermey had some real nice early tackles and two forced fumbles. But in the big picture Sac slipped out of way too many tackles to extend plays, twice to score TDs. Defenders would take bad angles to the ball carriers and get beat to the sideline, or have guys slip out of their grips.

2. 3rd down. The Griz are already known on defense to be too friendly on 3rd down conversions. They're 42% on the season allowing opposing teams to convert on 3rd down. Tonight Sac went 13 for 22, darn near a 60% conversion rate. That is horrible. Too many times did Sac keep their drives going by picking up 3rd down after 3rd down. That's where the defense needs to win on the field and force the punt, but 60% of the time today they didn't come through.

3. Getting out of position. Safron's naked bootleg TD I don't think should have happened, or it should have at least been contested. Kanongata'a was on that side of the field, the team had to know that the mobile QB might keep the ball. He crashes in on a run play going to the opposite side of the field which he'd never have a chance at and Safron walks in. If JP stays at home and watches for the bootleg, who knows. In some cases they'd be too far out of position to make a play on a ball carrier, caught on their heels, or going after someone else all together.

I'm seriously concerned about where this defense goes from here. The next two weeks are against offenses that are not very high powered. They NEED to get back to their September level or else this type of of play is going to cost the Griz a post-season berth or any sort of chance come the post-season. In my pre-game write up I thought the Grizzly offense needed to score at least 40 points to win this game. Thanks to the defense continually allowing Sac to move the ball and score the offense had to actually do more than that, which is frustrating. No defense should give up that many points and yards, in conference or out of conference, on the road or at home.

There were two other items of concern I had watching this game as well:

1. While I didn't watch it continually Will Poehls and Danny Kistler were chewed up a bunch by the Sac D-line, especially on run plays in the red zone. Now they did get a big push when needed to on 4th and goals but in many cases they were not pushing defenders back on run plays. One play I recall, a screen, went their side but both didn't even keep going upfield to make a block but turned around to look for Nguyen and then neither made a block and Ngueyn just got 5 yards on the screen, which should have gone for more.

Further more, both guards, Poehls and Poole were continually being bull-rushed and shoved into the backfield on both run plays and pass protection. In the first half of the game I specifically noticed this happening far too often. Canada and Nguyen would have to run around these guys who were being shoved back 4 or 5 yards, JJ would have to scramble out just to get away from almost instant pressure. Oiland had a few real bad whiffs on the NT. I thought of what I saw Schmaing had the better day of everyone, but that's just from what I saw on TV.

2. My other big concern is that this team does not start halves strong. Did anyone else notice them walking out onto the field at the half? I'd be interested to hear if they did huddle up and run out because all I saw were guys slowly milling towards the sidelines. The offense especially has no fire when it starts halves of games and I can't help but wonder if that's due to the Co-OCs just not being fired-up kind of guys. That fire is lacking when the offense gets going, I think there were 3 and outs on both the first 1st qtr and 3rd qtr possessions. The team goes flat far too often and they broadcasted that a lot today.

OK so let's get into some other thoughts I had, on the positive side:

1. Jordan Johnson wasn't the best QB on the field today but he still made some key plays when needed. JJ started poorly and had his receivers dropping passes on him but he made some key throws when it was needed the most, that OT touchdown was a great play-fake to beat the defense. What I really like about JJ this year is that with just 1 interception on the season, he doesn't put the defense in bad positions a lot.

2. The emergence of Jamaal Jones makes this WR combo a dual threat. A real bad drop early but he made up for it with an incredible 1-handed catch and TD and then a lot of nice grabs after that.

3. Ellis Henderson is one of the top 5 (maybe even top 3) receivers in the Big Sky and he's only a sophomore. His KR/PR game is suddenly a threat as well and he's always poised to make a big play. How many times did a big PR or KR of his help spark the Grizzly offense? Hendu had almost 360 all purpose yards today.

4. The running game showed some signs of life. 4 rushing TDs for Canada and a fairly solid day for him with 78 yards. John Nguyen had a rushing TD as well and some good runs, but also some pretty bad ones too.

5. Matt Hermanson in run support was pretty good today. He had some bad issues in the middle of the field especially getting after ball carriers but I've touched on that already.

6. I liked how physical and tough JP played today. Glad Safron wasn't hurt on that low tackle (I took a video, will post a gif later).

-------------

Sac played a heck of a hard fought game, Safron is a beast of a QB and very tough. Props to them on not quitting when down 14 and knowing they could get right back into it. They got stung by what I think was some bad play calling down the stretch, but I'll take it since it equates to a Griz win.

-------------

So after all of the pissing and moaning lets still remember. The Griz won, they're 7-2 and if they can clean up concerns on defense should be poised to head to MSU at 9-2 and a lock for the playoffs win or lose in that situation. We saw a viable 2nd option for JJ to throw to emerge finally and the O-line did get the push they needed when their backs were against the wall. I'll take this kind of an ugly win any day over any sort of loss.

The offense didn't wait until the 4th quarter to wake up, that was good. Now the defense needs to get out of the coma they're in and get some confidence back to start shutting teams down again.

No major injuries that I noticed or were mentioned, that's good too.

OK Griz, keep it rolling, tighten up that D and focus on improvement! Hopefully TraVon Van will be back soon and the offense can put up even more points on the board.

GO GRIZ!

I would take JJ over the SS qb every day of the week.

The UM takeaways were all well deserved today. Great plays. Not luck. This is an important part of football.

No turnovers by UM.

Tackling still needs to improve, but was very good and hard at times.

Signs of life, finally, in the return game. Henderson.

Henderson is a special receiver. He will go end up one of the all-time Griz greats.

Cam Warren is one of my all-time favorite UM receivers. The catch on the sideline and first down, was just outstanding. I thought JJ was throwing it away.

While the D failed to make multiple plays, they actually made a ton of big plays.

My biggest issues of the team today, were the multiple times when they got sucked in on D and failed to keep contain--and allowed the SS qb to get outside. On the other hand, pass coverage must have been good on many of those plays because the qb didn't find anyone to throw to.

Yeah and all the women on here were saying that completely legal and clean hit should have been flagged because it was too rough........... :roll:

If I wasnt in such a good mood I might have to ask them to turn in their vaginas.

:coffee:

Then SS announcers on the BS TV feed were going ape s**t over the hits on Safron. I don't think they were any more or less legal on numerous hits JJ took. At the start of the second half he was hit hard a couple times after throwing passes and it seemed to be business as usual for the players, coaches, refs and announcers.

As a defensive player as a kid I thrive on big hits. Been waiting to see a good one practically the entire season. I had to work all day today and if course there was 2, that I'm hearing about. I'd really like to see Coyle's hit!! I watched the news highlights and all they showed was about 30 seconds of Griz highlights. Thanks for posting the gif!! And excellent write up as well!!

NLGrizFan said:
As a defensive player as a kid I thrive on big hits. Been waiting to see a good one practically the entire season. I had to work all day today and if course there was 2, that I'm hearing about. I'd really like to see Coyle's hit!! I watched the news highlights and all they showed was about 30 seconds of Griz highlights. Thanks for posting the gif!! And excellent write up as well!!

Hmmm, didn't record the game, don't recall that hit. JP and Hermey had some impressive hits today.

BWahlberg said:
NLGrizFan said:

Hmmm, didn't record the game, don't recall that hit. JP and Hermey had some impressive hits today.
Oh ok. I'm just going off of something someone posted in another thread. Someone said something along the lines of, "I thought Coyle blew his guts out." Not sure what they were referring to, I just figured another big hit. I heard Safron was roughed up pretty bad twice tho. A Sac State fan said something about they wanted to bring the cart out twice. ??

NLGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
NLGrizFan said:

Oh ok. I'm just going off of something someone posted in another thread. Someone said something along the lines of, "I thought Coyle blew his guts out." Not sure what they were referring to, I just figured another big hit. I heard Safron was roughed up pretty bad twice tho. A Sac State fan said something about they wanted to bring the cart out twice. ??

Coyle hit the qb on the sideline after a pass, and JP had hit the qb earlier after a pass. Hard hits. Not late.I hope Sac wasn't playing the kid after a concussion.

PlayerRep said:
NLGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
NLGrizFan said:

Coyle hit the qb on the sideline after a pass, and JP had hit the qb earlier after a pass. Hard hits. Not late.I hope Sac wasn't playing the kid after a concussion.
That must be the one. Yeah that's probably not a good thing if Safron was banged up bad but still out there tryin to make a play. He could end up like Brett Favre. Lol

Yeah, those were the two hits. Both times Safron was motionless on the ground for a long period and trainers/docs from both teams rushed onto the field. The second hit probably took the wind out of him or broke some ribs, but he looked like he had been shot.

Had to work 18 hours today missed game.

Just saw the game recording and its pretty depressing IMO. A win is a win. But it doesn't feel all that great.

StingersUP, you qb got hit hard hope he's doing well. Despite my anger at VA of EWU I do not like to see the opposing QB take such big hits to be honest.

It kind of feels like the Griz are going backwards in general as the season wears on. It starts with the players but the main blame still lies in the coaching staff. Depressing. UM may limp into the playoffs, FCS needs the $$$ to pay for the playoffs, but how can anyone in their right mind expect much out of this team/staff in the playoffs based on the season.

So just being able to watch games on TV and online for those at games what does our conditioning look like ? Mainly O line, are they getting winded early on? If there not pushing forward for the run, why not? Strength and conditioning issues? Or lack of coaching or just being lazy?

I am certainly glad we won, however it was not pretty.

I agree with BW this team just does not have a fire under them. They seem to just be running the motions. This seems to be something the coaches need to work on. Get some intensity going, fire these guys up get them motivated. I know many have said the guys love Mick. I don't doubt that one bit. However there is a difference for loving an elder or sort of grandfather figure, than there is for a guy that these young men might look up to as a battle General that brings a high level of energy. If coaches so no real emotion or fire what does the team have to feed off of?

If we do happen to make the playoffs depending on who we might get in the first round it could be a one and done.

Regardless at the end of this season some serious changes need made with coaches or coaching phylosify. Just my two cents.

OrgonGriz said:
So just being able to watch games on TV and online for those at games what does our conditioning look like ?

Regardless at the end of this season some serious changes need made with coaches or coaching phylosify. Just my two cents.

Maybe they could hire you off the couch to help condition these young men. I'm sure you can take time away from training for American Ninja Warrior. Just my two cents!

StingersUp said:
Yeah, those were the two hits. Both times Safron was motionless on the ground for a long period and trainers/docs from both teams rushed onto the field. The second hit probably took the wind out of him or broke some ribs, but he looked like he had been shot.

I hope he wasn't sent back out with a concussion, man though that guy is tough. The tv announcers suggested the 2nd hard shot was probably just the wind knocked out of him. I think it was a shoulder pad to the gut.

The thing that really hits home with you're write-up is the defense has no primary injuries and is not getting better as the season goes on. Under achieving or were they over rated to begin with? H

BWahlberg said:
StingersUp said:

I hope he wasn't sent back out with a concussion, man though that guy is tough. The tv announcers suggested the 2nd hard shot was probably just the wind knocked out of him. I think it was a shoulder pad to the gut.

Tough, courageous kid. Almost hated to see him lose.....almost. Bet he is one sore sucker today.

Spot on again Brint!
Isn't there another player who can replace Bo Tully? I cannot believe he is the best choice. I supported him and even praised him several game this year, but he is back to his 2012 self. Nate Harris has some serious cover issues that I believe are lack of confidence. If you notice, Goodwin plays right up on his receiver and tries to deny the ball from the start, Harris plays 5 yds off and allows a running start.
Agree wholeheartedly with the anology of the defense getting worse. Nothing on the defense has changed (playerwise) all season. Time to insert players who want to make plays and not just be happy to be on the field.
I predicted 400yds passing for JJ, over 100yds each for Henderson and Jones and over 100yds for Jordan C rushing, almost got them all. I think Jordan C. hit the holes better this week than any week so far, he jumped outside several times, but for the most part, followed his blocks, (what little blocked holes there were.)

I don't understand why these big fella's, our O-Line, can't just push their defender forward everytime. Is it because they can't get low enough? Maybe they ought to line up on their knees.
All in all I thought the Offense looked better this week than in the past four.
Defense needs to wake up and get some balls. Gregorack needs to push some buttons!

Back