• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Position Comparisons

poorgriz

Ok, I actually saw someone post that Safety would be the only position where the Cats looked better on paper than the griz. Laughable. Post your honest, clear shades vision as of now.

QB: MSU
RB: Toss up
TE: Toss up
OL: UM
Receivers: Toss up

DL: Toss up
LB: UM
S: MSU
Corners: Toss up

ST: Toss up

COACHING: MSU

Looks pretty even to me. :thumb:

QB is a toss up too. The only time the Irish lad squared up against JJ they were fairly equal.

The Griz have better RBs as well.

poorgriz said:
Ok, I actually saw someone post that Safety would be the only position where the Cats looked better on paper than the griz. Laughable. Post your honest, clear shades vision as of now.

If I remember correctly I thought it said Safety and QB were the only two positions that MSU had a clear advantage on. So looking at your little comparison that is exactly what you came up with as well. Good thing you started this thread. :?

And I would say UM has a clear advantage on the DL.

No way is DL a toss up. Large advantage to UM there. QB is a lean for MSU, but it's a tiny advantage at best. In fact, in big games, I think you'd have to give the nod to Jordy. That's the one area (and likely only area) you must honestly critque about DM's game.

Meh, I'm game.

QB: MSU. Normal circumstances I'd say tie if not leaning towards UM, but McGhee is a 3 year starter, and JJ has had a lot to deal with, a season off, and a new coach and offense while he was gone.
RB: Toss up. UM may have more athletic talent, but Kirk is nothing but consistent, and Johnson should have more carries this year as well. That is a good 1-2 punch. UM has a better line to run behind as well...
OL: UM. MSU too inexperienced.
WR: Toss up. No real playmakers in either group just yet. Bleskin is not a game breaker, but gets open and catches everything. Henderson has a chance to be big for the Griz. Cats have some serious potential, but unproven as of yet. Ellis needs consistency.
TE: MSU. Salanoa is a stud and should be back to full strength this year after missing a lot of last year due to injuries. Good depth here as well.

DL: UM, because of DT. MSU is fine on the ends, but DT depth is concerning.
LB: UM now with Na'a out.
CB: MSU barely. I think this group will be one of the better all around groups we've had in awhile.
S: MSU. Bethley is a proven stud and I think Barnett has a chance to be special this year.

CatzWillRise said:
Meh, I'm game.

QB: MSU. Normal circumstances I'd say tie if not leaning towards UM, but McGhee is a 3 year starter, and JJ has had a lot to deal with, a season off, and a new coach and offense while he was gone.
RB: Toss up. UM may have more athletic talent, but Kirk is nothing but consistent, and Johnson should have more carries this year as well. That is a good 1-2 punch. UM has a better line to run behind as well...
OL: UM. MSU too inexperienced.
WR: Toss up. No real playmakers in either group just yet. Bleskin is not a game breaker, but gets open and catches everything. Henderson has a chance to be big for the Griz. Cats have some serious potential, but unproven as of yet. Ellis needs consistency.
TE: MSU. Salanoa is a stud and should be back to full strength this year after missing a lot of last year due to injuries. Good depth here as well.

DL: UM, because of DT. MSU is fine on the ends, but DT depth is concerning.
LB: UM now with Na'a out.
CB: MSU barely. I think this group will be one of the better all around groups we've had in awhile.
S: MSU. Bethley is a proven stud and I think Barnett has a chance to be special this year.

Good post. No argumets here whatsoever.

QB: msu very slighty
RB:toss up
WR:toss up
TE: msu
Ol: griz by a mile
DL: griz
LB: griz
Corners: toss up
Safety: msu
Coaching: toss up
ST: msu? Maybe
Maybe a slight adv to msu...but will the cats be able to beat the griz DL and LBs. Will the griz be able to catch a pass? Or kick a field goal. Nobody knows its a long time from now...injuries usually play a big part in how a team performs. Who goes in with a winning attitude and who goes in with a losing one.

I think you guys will have a seriously good D line. But for anyone discounting our starting 4 D linemen... You will be seriously disappointed. They are solid, and they'll prove it. Regarding coaching being a toss up, seriously?

I posted that safety would be the one area of bobcat advantage. I feel very strongly JJ is a much more capable QB with one possible exception. I think DM had a stronger arm but it has been posted JJ has improved in that area. DM is clearly not as intelligent as JJ and does not seem to know when to end a play instead of pressing on. As a consequence of this weakness DM has a history of foolish turnovers. I always figure DM is good for one pick and one fumble per game.
In addition DM has never performed well against a quality playoff team. JJ has shown he can do that. DM led teams have only beat the Griz once and it was a weakened Griz team. The other game DM played in the Griz clearly lost themselves by fumbling twice in the red zone. I know cat fans are going to say a win is a win but really don't you think the cats really felt they escaped that game with a win?
Anyway, the coming year looks to be pretty entertaining and I think the Griz will be ready to show how dominant they really are.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=montana+grizzlies+vs+SHSU+2011&view=detail&mid=83960E2986370A5ED08A83960E2986370A5ED08A&first=0&FORM=NVPFVR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Montana+State+University+Bobcats+playoff+games&view=detail&mid=F46C83387A675D73B10BF46C83387A675D73B10B&first=0&FORM=NVPFVR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ilovethecats said:
poorgriz said:
Regarding coaching being a toss up, seriously?

:lol:

Laugh all you want. Big game Rob has not been overly impressive considering his playoff record. At this point in time I think the only team in the BSC that has any real credibility posting on egriz - would be the EWU Eagles. They have a NC banner and really - who gives a flying shizzle about winning the conference or tying for it. I may overshoot on expectations, but I expect the Griz to compete for the NC and anything else is sub par. We have had three coaches in five friggin years. The Cant's are damn lucky we keep shooting ourselves in the foot. If we get the train back on the tracks - it is over and your celebrations of mediocrity will cease. I tire of these infantile rants on egriz considering we are once again talking about the Cant's. Spout off in December or January If your team is in the NC hunt, until then you can take your flacid appendage in hand and go away quietly.

BDizzle said:
poorgriz said:

If I remember correctly I thought it said Safety and QB were the only two positions that MSU had a clear advantage on. So looking at your little comparison that is exactly what you came up with as well. Good thing you started this thread. :?

And I would say UM has a clear advantage on the DL.

Experience maybe, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how good the Cats DL is this year. I'm surprised I didn't hear this one blurb from a Griz fan "the team that chokes the most will lose". Clearly MSU is the favorite. :)

EDIT: Ooops I take that back ... Billings Griz Fan takes the prize.

Copper Griz said:
[, until then you can take your flacid appendage in hand and go away quietly.

Big talk coming from an ardent supporter of a team whose problems began with not being able to actually control their "appendage".... Keeping your "appendage" to yourselves seems to be a problem as of late....

I finally agree with some cats.
QB:This is based on what we know now and we really don't know how Jordy is going to respond yet. Huge potential, but still too early to call him better then McGhee.
RB:I also agree RB is a toss up, but to be honest, I would not trade our boys for the cats. I really really like our potential here. Hopefully we can keep everyone happy with enough carries.
DL UM
OL UM
TE MSU
LB UM
WR Toss up
Corner MSU Based on last year. Close to toss up
Safety MSU
ST Toss up I like our punter, I like your kicker
Coaching: after last year-how can anyone begin the question this one. We got our ass kicked in coaching all year long. A 9-2+ team finished under .500. Enough said.

Back