• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Poll Guesses (Oct 6)

IdaGriz01

We tend to focus on losses among the top ten, including South Dakota State losing to an unranked team. However, the real bloodbath happened in the lower half of the list: Of the bottom thirteen teams, nine lost, several of them to unranked opponents. I can't recall when anything that extreme happened before.

Anyway, there’s bound to be some turnover. And it will be difficult to figure how the pollsters will rank a mix of four winning team among #13-25, the losers who stay in, and some “new” ranked teams. But, at least once more, we’ll give it a try. :D

I figure there will four slots to fill: One of the losers was #19 New Hampshire. Yes, they lost to #3 Towson, but their record is now 1-3 ... so they’re gone from the rankings. Same goes for the three teams who were ranked #22 and below -- when you’re down there, any loss is a killer.

One addition was easy: Youngstown State, with its only loss to FBS Michigan State, seems like it deserved to be in anyway. And I’m betting that its 5-1 record jumps it pretty high.
I’m guessing that Southern Illinois going on the road to upset #7 SDSU gets them into the top-25, although their 3-3 record will probably keep their ranking low. (One loss was to FBS Illinois and another was in OT, so they might go higher.)
In the same way, I’m guessing Samford’s upset of #16 Ga Southern, along with their 4-2 record, will get them in.
James Madison is also 4-2. Their win over Albany (1-5) doesn’t impress, but they received enough points last week to almost get into the top-25, so I’m guessing they will make it this week.

Note that Cal Poly now has a losing record, so it would not surprise me if they dropped out of the poll also. If that happens, seeing Yale as their "replacement" wouldn't be a surprise either.

So here they are:
Poll guess, Team (Record) [Previous Rank], Comment
1 NDSU (5-0) [1]
2 Sam Houston State (4-1) [2]
3 Towson (6-0) [3]
4 Eastern Illinois (4-1) [5]
5 EWU (3-2) [6]
6 Northern Iowa (4-1) [4] Lost to #1
7 Montana State (4-2) [8]
8 Coastal Carolina (5-0) [9]
9 Montana (4-1) [10]
10 McNeese (5-1) [11]
11 Fordham (6-0) [12]
12 SDSU (3-3) [7] Lost to unranked.
13 Wofford (3-2) [17]
14 Youngstown State (5-1) [NR]
15 Lehigh (4-1) [13] Lost to #12.
16 Villanova (3-2) [20]
17 Bethune-Cookman (4-1) [21]
18 Cent Arkansas (2-3) [14] Lost to #11.
19 Northern Arizona (3-2) [15] Lost to #8.
20 Maine (5-1) [23]
21 So Illinois (3-3) [NR]
22 Samford (4-2) [NR]
23 Ga Southern (3-2) [16] Lost to unranked.
24 Cal Poly (2-3) [18] Lost to unranked.
25 James Madison (4-2) [NR]

NR New Hampshire (1-3) [19] Lost to #3.
NR Tenn-Martin (3-2) [22] Lost to unranked.
NR Delaware (4-2) [24] Lost to #23.
NR Gardner-Webb (4-2) [25] Lost to unranked.

Up one perhaps two places in polls....

We are a decent team, but still lacking a "defining" win.....may have to wait a while for that one

first11 said:
Up one perhaps two places in polls....

We are a decent team, but still lacking a "defining" win.....may have to wait a while for that one
If things continue as they are now, EWU will likely be our first chance at a "signature win", especially if Cal Poly can't get it together.

What poll is that

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/cfoot225poll.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chester Cheetah said:
What poll is that

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/cfoot225poll.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's his guess.

Hence why the thread is called Poll Guesses.

:lol:

uofmman1122 said:
Chester Cheetah said:
What poll is that

It's his guess.

His wish list huh? Usually I see these types of threads start with the current poll and people offer their guess as to what teams will move.

Carry on

grizfan95 said:
SDSU has 2 losses.
Actually, they have 3 losses. (Edited above.)

Still, it was "my bad" :oops: to not show the SDSU record as 4-2. On the other hand, my copy of the previous poll shows that TSN had their record as 4-1, when it should have been 3-2 ... SDSU having lost back-to-back games at FBS Nebraska and then to NDSU. I won't change my guess, but it would not surprise me if they dropped even more than I show, since they've now lost three in a row.

Chester Cheetah said:
His wish list huh? Usually I see these types of threads start with the current poll and people offer their guess as to what teams will move.

Carry on
Actually, I did start with the "current" (last week's) poll ... those are the numbers in [brackets]. Then I offered projections for all those previously ranked teams. The new ranks are not, however, where I "wish" a team might move, they are my guesses as to where I think the pollsters will put them. Just a bit of fun, since no one should take the polls too seriously early or even mid-way through the season. Mainly, the notion is to open it up for "discussion" (argument?) about where we think various teams should move.

Most of my guesses have been right on, or very close, this year. What's different from last year is that my (few) misses have been really bad. Not sure if its a new crop of pollsters, or what. ;)

Chester Cheetah said:
uofmman1122 said:
Chester Cheetah said:
What poll is that

It's his guess.

Carry on

IdaGriz has been creating this thread for awhile. I think you are the only poster that took it as his wish list. Try reading a little closer.

Back