• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Police arrest 45 people after post-game rioting in Mankato

TxGriz

DONOR
MANKATO, Minn. - About a dozen people were treated for injuries at a local hospital and 45 people were arrested after a melee following the Minnesota State, Mankato, homecoming game Saturday.

The trouble began around 10:30 p.m. when two officers responded to a disturbance at a student apartment complex near campus, where more than 200 people were drinking, jumping on cars and rocking vehicles, police said.

The officers retreated and waited for more officers to arrive. The crowd then moved to the parking lots of another student housing complex, where people set fire to trash bins, overturned cars and threw rocks and bricks at police. As many as 3,000 people were in the crowd, police said.

"When police backed off, the students were so excited because they thought they had defeated the cops," said Brian Boothe, a senior at the school.

About 160 police officers from 41 agencies - dressed in riot gear - dispersed the crowd by about 4:30 a.m. Sunday, said Jim Franklin, the city's public safety director. The officers used eye and skin irritants on the crowd.

Four officers were injured by thrown projectiles, Franklin said. About half of the people arrested were students and face charges including disorderly conduct, rioting and arson.

The university's president, Richard Davenport, said students identified in videotapes that were taken at the scene would face disciplinary action. The students might be suspended or expelled, depending upon their participation in the riot, he said.

"I found the events of last night deeply disturbing," he said. "To the extent that our students were involved with others, we are extremely disappointed."

He also said, "We all know that alcohol is a big problem socially, and we saw it in our community last night."

Franklin, who blamed alcohol for the problems, said the area was so hostile it took an armored vehicle attended by 12 officers to pick up a student who reportedly wasn't breathing.

The mob damaged vehicles and shut down a street. Franklin said police also received reports of fights between students.

Four large fires were reported in an apartment complex parking lot. The fires were set in trash bins and on a car that was tipped over. Windows were broken out of cars, fence posts were torn out of the ground and business and street signs were torn down and destroyed, witnesses said.

Bob Idding, who lives near the site of the riots, said he couldn't believe what he was seeing after he walked to the scene.

"It was the scariest feeling in the world," Idding said. "I shouldn't have been there, I know that. My wife and I were telling each other, 'This isn't Mankato, Minnesota. We have police in riot gear in the streets.'"

North Dakota State beat Minnesota State, Mankato, 20-9, in the homecoming contest. The Mavericks are 0-6 for the season.

The University of Minnesota's Minneapolis campus was the scene of similar violence the past two years following the school's back-to-back NCAA hockey championships.

If you're 0-6, should you really be rioting? Especially when a more than likely loss is headed your way. Maybe they were rioting NDSU's move to IAA next year.

The University of Minnesota's Minneapolis campus was the scene of similar violence the past two years following the school's back-to-back NCAA hockey championships.

Minnesota State-Mankato is also a Division I hockey school.
Hockey mentality in Minnesota is like Soccer in Europe. Insane!

What surprises me and cements my thoughts that the NDSU game with us was a fluke is this.

Mankato is a 0-5 Div.II team and you only beat them 20-9? If your team was really good enough to beat us 5 out of 10, you would have beat this team 53-0. I still say we play 10 games against you this year and we go 9-1.

ronbo Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:25 am Post subject:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What surprises me and cements my thoughts that the NDSU game with us was a fluke is this.

Mankato is a 0-5 Div.II team and you only beat them 20-9? If your team was really good enough to beat us 5 out of 10, you would have beat this team 53-0. I still say we play 10 games against you this year and we go 9-1.

You can say what you want, but you can't change the score of the game that was played. That makes 3 in a row vs the Griz. :wink:

In 3 games vs Division II teams, NDSU Defense has given up 10 points.
7 by the third string defense and a fg vs Mankato. Too many turnovers and penalities against a good UC-Davis team, is the only blemish. The offense is not geared to score a lot of points. The key is ball control, and burning up the clock, and wearing down the defense.

It is good to see the Griz continue to win each week. Good Luck in the Big Sky.

Mankato seems to always give NDSU trouble no matter if they are good or not. And it might have been a little oversight on the part of the Bison.

Mankato is a young team with many freshman playing in the key role positions such as their quarterback. They played their best game against the Bison. I am not making excuses as NDSU should have rolled over Mankato but still a win is a win.

Even with the QB situation, we should have beat NDSU by 20. Now with Ochs, the game would have been done by the middle of 2nd quarter. Even Tony Moss has hinted that the NDSU victory was likely a fluke. And there have been a lot of flukes this year. It is a part of college football. I am not a betting man, but I would bet a lot on the Griz if they were playing NDSU this coming weekend. We are a different team. That is not to say that NDSU could not win, but it would take a lot a strange things happening like they did in the 2nd half of the first game. Things like a good FG kicker missing a gimme for him. Ultimately, it would be called a fluke. I still have a great deal of admiration for NDSU to come in and beat the Griz at home before a lot of fans. Our fans were not in shape for that game either. We were a quiet group that day comparatively to how were were against Sam Hous, Idaho and Cal Poly. By this coming weekend our throats should last all 4 quarters, but against you we were getting quiet by the middle of 2nd quarter. You guys got way too many audibles.

You can say what you want, but you can't change the score of the game that was played. That makes 3 in a row vs the Griz. :wink:

That's fine with me. Every time the Griz have lost to NDSU, it's been the only Griz loss of the season, and that's holding up this year. You never know. The Griz could take it all the way.

Native Griz,

I won't disagree with you. I have heard the comparison that if Montana and NDSU would play 10 times this year that Montana would win 9 of them. But it just so happened that NDSU won the one that counted.

Now, that is this year. Upcoming years when the Bison are at an even playing surface (in the number of scholorships), NDSU and Montana I am sure would have some battles.

I look forward to seeing Montana on the schedule on a yearly basis for the Bison even if it is not a conference game. I hope that the next game between us is in Fargo.

Latest posts

Back