• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Polhemus Quote on MSU recruiting trip.

NativeGriz

This quote from today's Missoulian brought tears to my eyes.

Polhemus said he never thought about quitting or transferring to another school. He said prior to joining the Griz, he visited Montana State on a recruiting trip.
"It was the most painful thing I've ever had to do,'' he said. "The night before I actually broke down. I started to cry. I couldn't see myself as a Bobcat."

Now thats the kind of kid we want playing for the Griz!!!

NativeGriz said:
This quote from today's Missoulian brought tears to my eyes.

Polhemus said he never thought about quitting or transferring to another school. He said prior to joining the Griz, he visited Montana State on a recruiting trip.
"It was the most painful thing I've ever had to do,''

I was impressed with Polhemus since he was a middle schooler. I thought the kid would end up being a lot bigger than he is and I always figured he would make a great linebacker He reminded me a lot of a young Jason Crebo. Athletic as he is, what always stood out to me was his determination and work ethic. In addition the kid is a standout in the classroom too. Even so, I was surprised to see that he beat out a pile of highly touted recruits, especially for the corner position. Chris walked on the team and beat out the schollied kids. I hope it is because he is that good and not because the others aren't. Makes me wonder about JG's recruiting prowess... Not that I take any credit but I tried to instill in Chris the importance of being a Griz. It sounds like he's glad that he stayed in Missoula. I hope he turns into another Tim Hauck.

I agree about Chris completely. I've stated before he's one of my favorite players because i like his attitude.

On a slightly different note i find it interesting that people blame the lack of a standout new corner on Glenn's recruiting. We need to keep in mind that great cbs are the hardest to come by. Also, if we want to wonder about Glenn's recruiting prowess then wonder about the other positions that are solid. Other than secondary we're loaded....and corner has always been a week spot for the Griz. Does this mean that Read was a poor recruiter? I don't think so.
Also keep in mind several kids that might have been good left or flunked out. We never know if a kid is going to flunk out, get homesick etc. Its a calculated risk. on the other hand often times recruits work out.
I don't see anyone complaining about Segars, Talmage, Disney, etc, etc. So lets keep things in perspective. I guess if someone just has to be demonized for our secondary woes and if it must be blamed on recruiting then look at whoever recruited the cbs specificly. Off the top of my head i don't know who it might have been but i do know that Lance Robinson recruited in Florida a fair a mount and 2 recent defectors were supposedly his recruites.

Don't get me wrong Grizmania. Your right. Recruiting at best is a crap shoot. Kids all develop differently and some kids can't cut college for many numerous reasons as you mentioned. Additionally, the corner position requires the most ability and the least recognition. I just can't help but question why 6 of this years starters are or were walkons. Maybe its a fluke but I wonder. Jefferson Heidelberger is a different but equally puzzling example. I'm no expert but the first time I saw that kid run with the football it was obvious to me that he had talent bursting from his uniform. Several times I inquired as to why they were not utilizing JH more and all I ever got was something like "well.. we are hoping Jeff will come along in time".

elkmcc said:
I just can't help but question why 6 of this years starters are or were walkons. Maybe its a fluke but I wonder.

It might not be a fluke. Those things are supposed to happen. Out of our starters, there are at least 5 that I know of, maybe more who were walk-ons. The walk-ons make our program, and all other great programs, what they are. Since we started NCAA football in 1984, we have had 55 All-Americans. 25 of those 55, were walk-ons. Two of our former players who are in the NFL right now, walked-on at GSU. Do the research, I bet you would be suprised at how many of your former all americans/all time greats were walk-ons.

C U in Chatty.

Latest posts

Back