• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Point that needs to be made

loyalgriz

Griz fans were a lot happier after scoring 12 points and winning than 40 points and losing. Do we need any more reminders that it doesn't matter how many you score, it's all about W's.

loyalgriz said:
Griz fans were a lot happier after scoring 12 points and winning than 40 points and losing. Do we need any more reminders that it doesn't matter how many you score, it's all about W's.

AMEN!!! :angel:

AMEN again. But I do think the happiness comes from actually seeing our offense work. That I was pleased with, but our D crumbled, which was not too cool. And it was a very exciting game. But, I would rather have had or offense sputter and stumble and come away with a win, than to see what I already knew our O could do.

There is almost nothing more thrilling than a win! But watching our O come together sure is fun. ( I sure do like a lot of points on the board with theGriz on top)!! So I guess I just want it all.

One thing i always look for win or lose is improvement.

Obviously the offense improved again which is great.

While on the other hand I didn't see any impovement in the D.
Nor did i notice the D get worse, and did a solid job vs the run.

Right now I'm seeing enough improvement to tell me the players and coaches are trying their best.

I think where we all differ is in our opinion of what the coaches "best" is and if that "best" is acceptable, and what their potential is.

Really, it comes down to faith. Wins go a long way to building faith and solid wins go even longer. But a close loss can sometimes build as much faith or more than a close win.

Ok, i'll shut up now.

I'm always interested in the game within the game. It's talked about more so in basketball, how a team wants to play a certain tempo of game (half-court as opposed to fast paced) to work to their strengths. I'm wondering if Hauck purposefully has tried to keep games tight and low scoring so as not to expose his young secondary. After all, our run offense and run defense are a couple of our strengths.

And lo and behold, we get in a shootout with Idaho State and end up on the losing end.

well, maybe, though what it comes down to is that we've not faced a team that throws as much as ISU.
Coming up we will see some teams that have, in the past, liked to throw in PSU, NAU, and EWU.
In those games we might run more to keep the other O off the field if we're close in score or ahead. If we get behind we can't.

It really doesn't matter what "tempo" you choose....if you can not stop them....you can not stop them. ISU was still going to kill us with the pass even if we ran the ball every down. They might have only thrown for 300 yards instead of 400.....but we would not have scored as much just running either.......

The Secondary has to get it figured out......And I would guess that we will see more blitzes and risk taking on D. It couldn't hurt!

Plus....which one of you, if you had a video tape of the WSU game and the ISU game in your hand, and only three hours to live, would choose the WSU game to watch????

The point? There is more to entertainment than just winning. I would choose the ISU game. That was A good game. The wsu game was terrible. ANd I personally "felt" better after the ISU game....even in lose. Why? Because ISU is GOOD....and because we showed signs for the first time all year. So we didn't win...big deal. I came away from that game with the feeling...ok, now our O is clicking....we have a chance to beat real good teams...not just scrap by a terrible team. But that is just my opinion.

I would rather get the win, since that is the goal. However, I agree with you the Weber game was traumatizing to watch. The ISU game was a fantastic game, but still.........winning is what matters and that is what we should care about. Now, if we can win 70 to 0 this weekend, maybe we would all be happy.

Let us remember that blitzing puts our young secondary against even greater odds. We need to blitz, but certainly we need to pick and choose when we do it. I still prefer to mix it up and not let the offense get into any rythm.

loyalgriz said:
Let us remember that blitzing puts our young secondary against even greater odds. We need to blitz, but certainly we need to pick and choose when we do it. I still prefer to mix it up and not let the offense get into any rythm.

I would tend to disagree....with all due respect. Blitzing Forces the QB to make quick decisions.....and hopefully he has to make quick decisions with a guy in his grill. But at any rate......you limit the deep ball, and you more or less make the QB throw to his "hot" route......which is normally an under route. I would take that over what we saw last week.

We have not been able to Zone Blitz too much....and I think that has to do with the inexpreince at FS. But If we brought Edwards from the corner I think it would be effective. But you do sacrifice one of your DEs from the pass rush that way.

Again...everytime we blitzed last week, something good happened for the Griz....EXCEPT for the very last play of the game. I need to go to bed before I ramble on any more...... :roll:

Geaux, I think you hit it on the head so to speak. I've been worried about the secondary from the begining and wondered where the pressure went. You see flashes of it from time to time...but nothing steady...nothing to make a decent QB worry. It seems to me DeCoite has had a few sacks in his day and seems to have a nose for the ball late or not... :lol: I am going to preface my next statement with: I'm not getting on the coaches: I wonder why one set of coaches saw, found and used talent and another set of coaches can't really seem to, dealing with essentially the same team. It also seems to me that switching players out so often is detrimental to the cause. None seem comfortable when play time is so off and on. When corners and safeties play together alot, a sixth sense is developed so that one hand knows what the other is doing. All the switching of personel worries me. Back to finding the talent and then sticking with it. Coaching it. Ah!! who the hell knows. They are all getting better is suppose and only time will tell what will happen. Stopping the damn turnovers would probably help as much as anything. Good luck to BH, staff and players. GO GRIZ

Geaux,

don't get me wrong, we have to blitz. I'm just saying we can't blitz every play or the opponent most assuredly becomes wise to the scheme and will take advantage. We need to continue to mix it up and not become predictable. I actually think we have done a decent job of that this year.

On another note, I thought we missed quite a few tackles on Saturday. Hopefully, we get that fixed.

Back