• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Player from 60's, any help appreciated

Research1

Hello all, my girlfriend told me her father played for the team back in the 60's. His name was Michael Thomas Galvin. He passed away about 2 years ago and I wanted to see if I could do anything for her like an old team photo or roster or anything. We live in Naples, FL so if anyone can respond or email me with any thoughts on where to go to find this stuff i would be so grateful.

Dominic

Here's a link to the athletic staff directory: http://www.gogriz.com/staffdir/mont-staffdir.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Try contacting an assistant Athletic Director or the Sports Information Department to get started in your search.

Research1 said:
Hello all, my girlfriend told me her father played for the team back in the 60's. His name was Michael Thomas Galvin. He passed away about 2 years ago and I wanted to see if I could do anything for her like an old team photo or roster or anything. We live in Naples, FL so if anyone can respond or email me with any thoughts on where to go to find this stuff i would be so grateful.

Dominic
You might find old yearbooks on Ebay or some such. Yes, we had yearbooks and they have great info and pics. Mine are from 64 to 68...nice too look at now and then.

GrizLA said:
Research1 said:

Dominic
You might find old yearbooks on Ebay or some such. Yes, we had yearbooks and they have great info and pics. Mine are from 64 to 68...nice too look at now and then.
Mine are of the same vintage. I searched all my sources and could find no evidence of Galvin. Sure it was UM?

I played during the last half of the 60's, but do not recognize the name. However, it could be that the fellow played for another Montana institution. Allow me explain; In the early 60's, the name of the University was Montana State University and the name, the University of Montana referred to MSU MSC, Western Montana College, Eastern Montana College, Northern Montana College, and the Montana School of Mines collectively. These schools were collectively referred as The University of Montana and it was not unusual for athletes who ventured outside of Montana to say that they played at the University of Montana when in reality they played at one of the directional school. It wasn't really false since the collections of schools were officially called the University of Montana. In California I had an 8th grade teacher who said on several occasions that he played basketball for the University of Montana. Four years later I accepted an athletic scholarship to Montana (MSU) and searched high and low for some record of his play. After a great deal of research, I found that he had played basketball for the Western Montana branch of the University of Montana. Thus, you may find your father-in-law played for one of the "other branches" of the University in the 60s.

rodmac48 said:
I played during the last half of the 60's, but do not recognize the name. However, it could be that the fellow played for another Montana institution. Allow me explain; In the early 60's, the name of the University was Montana State University and the name, the University of Montana referred to MSU MSC, Western Montana College, Eastern Montana College, Northern Montana College, and the Montana School of Mines collectively. These schools were collectively referred as The University of Montana and it was not unusual for athletes who ventured outside of Montana to say that they played at the University of Montana when in reality they played at one of the directional school. It wasn't really false since the collections of schools were officially called the University of Montana. In California I had an 8th grade teacher who said on several occasions that he played basketball for the University of Montana. Four years later I accepted an athletic scholarship to Montana (MSU) and searched high and low for some record of his play. After a great deal of research, I found that he had played basketball for the Western Montana branch of the University of Montana. Thus, you may find your father-in-law played for one of the "other branches" of the University in the 60s.
My thinking as well, Rod.

You guys are all very awesome. This has given me some directions to go. I found a roster site and didnt see his name so thinking i will go the route of the other schoold that she might have been confused about. Thanks again. If I can get this figured out by Xmas might be a great gift. thanks again everyone.

Latest posts

Back