• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Place kicker

Griz2k

DONOR
Delaney said he will not decide until later this week who will serve as his place-kicker. Freshman Ben Worst won the job a month ago but missed two field goals against UC Davis. He and Chris Lider, who started in 2012, will battle in practice this week.

I know Worst missed two against Davis, but in my feable mind, there is still no question he should be the starting kicker. At least he didn't miss any extra points!

I believe Worst should still be the kicker. Lider is missing consistently with a pull, even on PATs. Worst has had no problems on PATs and his only FG misses were 40+ on the road. He rode Lider well past that, so what's his problem now?

I can see MD's point after the 2 misses but like 2k said about the PAT. That's not good. Lider isn't good enough to hold this job down IMO. Worst looked kinda intimidated or something. He seemed worried about a blocked kick.

I thought during the UCD game that they shouldn't be attempting those longer field goals because of the very strong cross wind. Both of those attempts seemed to really fade to the left though he had plenty of distance. Even if the kicker tries to compensate for the wind it becomes a guessing game. My point is that I don't blame Worst for the misses as much as I blame the coaches for even trying them.

I remember one game in Bozo when our field goal attempt started out towards the right corner of the end zone and the ball ended up out of bounds on the left side. Field goals are futile in those conditions.

Worst will be fine. He pulled everything last week, even the good PATs. He will work that out. He is consistent; something Lider never is. The fact that Lider is still traveling indicates the coaches are not yet completely convinced. We forget that as freshmen, both Brady and Dan had their struggles.

62 is right...they showed the flags and there was a strong cross wind. No wind and those were likely good. He just needs to practice in the wind more:)

granitegriz said:
62 is right...they showed the flags and there was a strong cross wind. No wind and those were likely good. He just needs to practice in the wind more:)

Go to Great Falls......plenty of wind there.

Griz2k said:
Delaney said he will not decide until later this week who will serve as his place-kicker. Freshman Ben Worst won the job a month ago but missed two field goals against UC Davis. He and Chris Lider, who started in 2012, will battle in practice this week.

I know Worst missed two against Davis, but in my feable mind, there is still no question he should be the starting kicker. At least he didn't miss any extra points!

Good way to put some pressure on Worst to do better this week. Predict he'll be the kicker.

I might be a little biased with this kid being from my home town, but if you are going to have to struggle a little bit with the kicking game, why not do it with a kid that has time to improve and give you more up-side for years to come. One is a RS Sophomore and the other a freshman. If there is not a clear benefit (which I think Worst is a clear benefit) one from another, you develop the younger kid and get the extra year out of him.

kemajic said:
Worst will be fine. He pulled everything last week, even the good PATs. He will work that out. He is consistent; something Lider never is. The fact that Lider is still traveling indicates the coaches are not yet completely convinced. We forget that as freshmen, both Brady and Dan had their struggles.

Our past history of freshman kickers was the reason I was willing to give Lider the benefit of the doubt last year & improve. However, we saw the same struggles throughout camp and early season games. He has had his chance, its now time to see how Worst performs after a bad game. Every player always has bad games, its those players who learn from the mistake & improve who will be successful going forward.

Special Teams actually doesn't plan on usually kicking into the endzone. That's not the gameplan all the time. Actually very little of the time do they tell our kickers to post it in the endzone.

I think the plan a lot of times is too kick it high to the 2-3 yard line and encourage them to bring it out...good to be on the offensive.

a kick return qualifies as a play (scoring opportunity), anytime you can take that play away is a positive ...so no returns are a good thing by most coaches standards......

....says the conservative book of football. With some risk, comes potential reward and a chance of a negative return. I am not saying one is better or not though...

I've read elsewhere on eGriz that kicking field goals is for losers.
You guys should keep up on the latest info. If you don't kick you can't miss any!

Back