• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

physical and refs

cusefan79

Member
One thing that worries me is how the game will be called. If the refs are from a conference that calls ticky tack stuff it will cost our bigs some early fouls. If you watch the pitt and georgetown games from the BET every rebound under the basket is a rugby scrum. That I s just big east basketball. I'm interested to know from you guys how your conference compares.
Of course the converse would be that if your bugs aren't use to that style of no blood no foul type of game and the refs are letting them play it will favor cuse.
Anyone know how to find out who the refs will be before the game?
 
cusefan79 said:
One thing that worries me is how the game will be called. If the refs are from a conference that calls ticky tack stuff it will cost our bigs some early fouls. If you watch the pitt and georgetown games from the BET every rebound under the basket is a rugby scrum. That I s just big east basketball. I'm interested to know from you guys how your conference compares.
Of course the converse would be that if your bugs aren't use to that style of no blood no foul type of game and the refs are letting them play it will favor cuse.
Anyone know how to find out who the refs will be before the game?
This hurt last year, refs let em play(which I think most fans prefer), but the big sigh refs have called ticky tack horse shit for the last five years. They were better this year though. Guys, specifically cherry, did not adjust. It will be an advantage for us if they call it tight....but I think they will let em play. Which is ok. This conference needs to adjust.
 
Like many on this board, I've been to quite a few NCAA games over the past 10 or so years, and I always notice how much more physical the games are than what is allowed in the big sky conference. I think the big sky officiating has gotten better over the years, but it's still very much a ticky tack league.
 
wbtfg said:
Like many on this board, I've been to quite a few NCAA games over the past 10 or so years, and I always notice how much more physical the games are than what is allowed in the big sky conference. I think the big sky officiating has gotten better over the years, but it's still very much a ticky tack league.
I've always believed the Big East is the most physical league in the country dating back to the Pearl Washington, Patrick Ewing, Chis Mullins era. There have been a few finesse players over the years but most are known for being bruisers. The big sky has never been that physical.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
 
An aside to cusefan79... Refereeing is one of the things that worries me about moving to the %*#! ACC. There's a reason that the scores of ACC games always seem always seem to be about 85-81 and that Big East scores are about 60-56. It's going to be tough enough for SU, which, by Big East standards, is historically something of a finesse team. I can't even imagine how Pitt is going to deal with it.
 
And an aside to you fine Grizzlies. If you think that Syracuse will present physical problems, count your blessings that neither Pitt nor Cincinnati are in your region. You need to wear helmets and pads when you play those guys ;)
 
Hopefully Montana learned something from the 2006 loss to Boston College in the second round. BC had just moved to the ACC but played more like a Big East team, and just manhandled Montana all game. UM held tough all game, but was worn out and frustrated by the constant pounding and no-calls they took in that game.

As far as BSC refs, they are just inconsistent from official to official, so at times (like this years BSC Championship game) you get an official on one end of the court that calls touch fouls under the basket and an official on the other end of the court that calls nothing. Cherry especially would benefit from officials that let them play, and the Griz big men really are not bangers, so how they call the game inside isn't going to be a big factor.

In truth I think the only concern for Syracuse will be if Weisner gets hot from beyond the arc early. If he is hitting his 3's it will draw the zone closer to the perimeter, allowing Cherry and Jamar to drive. If Weisner is off and Jamar struggles at all the game will be over early, regardless of how officials call the game.
 
Syracuse will be happy to know that the refs are coming from the Southwest Conference. They call more fouls than any conference in the country. Anyone who drives the middle gets fouled and by the end of the game they are putting most in the basket because the guards from the bench are the only players who haven't fouled out. You haven't seen ticky-tack until you've seen these guys. They are worse than the Big Sky refs if you can believe that! :cool:
 
DCOrange said:
An aside to cusefan79... Refereeing is one of the things that worries me about moving to the %*#! ACC. There's a reason that the scores of ACC games always seem always seem to be about 85-81 and that Big East scores are about 60-56. It's going to be tough enough for SU, which, by Big East standards, is historically something of a finesse team. I can't even imagine how Pitt is going to deal with it.
Agree top to bottom with this.
 
62GRIZ said:
Syracuse will be happy to know that the refs are coming from the Southwest Conference. They call more fouls than any conference in the country. Anyone who drives the middle gets fouled and by the end of the game they are putting most in the basket because the guards from the bench are the only players who haven't fouled out. You haven't seen ticky-tack until you've seen these guys. They are worse than the Big Sky refs if you can believe that! :cool:

Bodes well for the Griz. :thumb:
 
AZGrizFan said:
62GRIZ said:
Syracuse will be happy to know that the refs are coming from the Southwest Conference. They call more fouls than any conference in the country. Anyone who drives the middle gets fouled and by the end of the game they are putting most in the basket because the guards from the bench are the only players who haven't fouled out. You haven't seen ticky-tack until you've seen these guys. They are worse than the Big Sky refs if you can believe that! :cool:

Bodes well for the Griz. :thumb:
Not really. We have big physical guards used to Finishing though body checks. If the refs call it close I see Brandon triche living at the free throw line. Of course that applies to both teams. I think it will be a foul fest with so m any stops and starts it will be nearly impossible for either team to get any flow going. Add in the ridiculous number of commercial breaks during tournament games....
 
Back
Top