• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Pflu: "...team knows the president made a mistake"

PlayerRep

"He envisioned his Grizzlies winning a national championship. If not in 2012, then surely in 2013."

“Did he [Engstrom] do the right thing? Obviously I don’t think so. As much correspondence as I have with that football team, I know to this day they don’t think so. They think he made a big mistake. You know that’s what keeps me going, is knowing that team knows the president made a mistake. That’s what keeps me fired up every day.”

“I saw him do things that I thought Dave Dickenson did,” the coach said, referring to Montana’s most beloved QB, who played in the 1990s. “I thought this guy can win a national championship. I’m proud of what he has done and overcome. I’m proud to be associated with him."

“And obviously I’ve always supported him,” he added, referring to a 2012 comment he made after Johnson was accused of a crime for which he was found not guilty. “ ... Part of coaching is to develop our players on and off the field, not just to dismiss them. We can’t just recruit a guy and then if a couple things come up, well are we just going to get rid of every player if there’s a blemish along the way? I think that’s a coach’s job to develop, not dismiss.”

“Whether it’s a friend, Quarterback Club member, a faculty member at the University of Montana, a business owner downtown, someone all the way across the state, they’ve all said, ‘Coach, don’t ever forget, this is your football team.’ When I hear that over and over, sure it brings back some tremendous memories.”

"Many of the current Griz were recruited by the coach and his staff, including quarterback Jordan Johnson and wide receiver Ellis Henderson."

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/football/pflugrad-left-part-of-his-heart-at-montana/article_9633c734-4da8-11e3-944e-0019bb2963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And that is why, besides his system he was getting in place, he would've been the greatest coach with multiple championships in Griz history....That dude bleed maroon and silver.

It sounds more and more like the bottom line truth is..Pflu and O'Day were fired because they refused to kick JJ off the team for good, and not just for the comment Pflu made about JJ to the media. I have a tremendous amount of respect for both those guys for that. Standing by what you believe in isn't an easy thing to do. It sounds like Pflu sure stood up for what he believed.

havgrizfan said:
It sounds more and more like the bottom line truth is..Pflu and O'Day were fired because they refused to kick JJ off the team for good, and not just for the comment Pflu made about JJ to the media. I have a tremendous amount of respect for both those guys for that. Standing by what you believe in isn't an easy thing to do. It sounds like Pflu sure stood up for what he believed.
That's exactly what happened. Engstrom asked them to kick him off, they said no...and he canned them.

Fuck Royce till the day he dies...

havgrizfan said:

Royce also wanted tru and kemp kicked off. He asked o'day several times if they would be removed from the team. Of course Jim and Pflu told him they can't just kick kids off the team for a misdemeanor crime or an accusation of a crime that had yet to even be charged. Of course every program has multiple kids get misdemeanors every year and it is not common to remove them from the team unless their are unusual circumstances or repeat offenders. Royce doesn't get it, simple as that.

I have always felt Royce Engstrom wanted Jordan Johnson to be found guilty of the charges he was facing. If Jordan was found guilty, it would validate/bolster Engstrom's decision to fire Coach Pfulgrad and Jim O'Day.
I don't know if I am right, but what a terrible thought that is; a President of a University wanting a player to be found guilty. I think the case was pushed by the University Administration because of their own agenda. It appears in hindsight that the case should not have even been brought to trial, but the momentum created by the University Administration would not allow that to happen. In my mind, Jordan, the football team, the young lady involved, Coach Pflugrad and Jim O'Day were all violated by the University Administration. Just my thoughts.

Engstrom had the "young lady" up on stage during graduation, helping hand out diplomas or something, according to what I was told. This, of course, was after the trial.

Here's more proof that the team still backs up Pflu:

On the Montana Grizzlies Football Fans Facebook page, when asked about if fans thought that Pflugrad should be brought back after Delaney's term is done, here's what former Wide Receiver Sam Gratton had to say about Pflugrad:

eravy3e6.jpg

Even the players still back him up. I wish we could get him back. Maybe we can make enough noise we could make it happen... A fan can dream, right?!

havgrizfan said:

So basically in Engstrom's mind Pflu and O'Day made a big mistake, so they were let go. Since it turned out that they didn't make a mistake, and in fact it was Engstrom who made the big mistake by assuming Pflu and O'Day made a mistake, shouldn't Engstrom fire himself now?

".....I have always felt Royce Engrstom wanted Jordan Johnson to be found guilty..."

Nothing wrong with thinking like that. We don't have to like Royce. He loves himself well enough.

Dont tell Armchairqbabe that Royce is attacking children......its hormones are all hormoany and RE has enough on his plate.

:coffee:

Potomac Griz said:
So basically in Engstrom's mind Pflu and O'Day made a big mistake, so they were let go. Since it turned out that they didn't make a mistake, and in fact it was Engstrom who made the big mistake by assuming Pflu and O'Day made a mistake, shouldn't Engstrom fire himself now?

Admit and step aside.

+1

While I expect Pflu will be in the box and not on the field; it would be great to give him a standing "O." Even greater to have a camera on RE when it happened.

kemajic said:
While I expect Pflu will be in the box and not on the field; it would be great to give him a standing "O." Even greater to have a camera on RE when it happened.

When the Griz are up comfortably in the 4th, let's get a Robin Pflugrad chant going in the ol' Montana Grizzlies style :cool:

kemajic said:

He'll probably be hiding in a bunker to preclude this possibility. :lol: :lol: :lol:

havgrizfan said:
Absolutely. And that's what a "coach" does. He stands up for his kids.

Engstrom wanted Pflu to be the hit man for Engstrom's already egregious bungling up to that point: he wanted Pflu to take the fall for what Engstrom thought would distract attention from the bungled "outside" investigation and the thoroughly bungled "Saudi" incident -- the only "violent" multiple assault situation that happened, alleged or otherwise.

Engstrom looked for a "patsy" and found someone, instead, who had the principles that Engstrom lacked. And for someone like Engstrom, that was the firing offense.

Engstrom has since sold out the students and the faculty multiple times. The DOJ agreement is simply shameful. The NCAA sanctions, PROPOSED BY ENGSTROM, are a disgrace.

Students and parents "voted," and Engstrom lost. He took UM down with him.

Back