• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Pass defense....?????

boise-griz

I saw the Idaho State game and watched our pass defense get whacked. I didn't see the PSU game but looking at the stats, it looks like a very solid performance by the DB's. Can anyone who saw both games compare and contrast the 2 performances?? Were we just getting more pressure on the QB against PSU or did the DB's play that much better or was it a combination of both???

I think it was a little bit of both. A little better pressure and a little better coverage.

The big difference was that ISU played a much better game offensively than PSU did. PSU made some mistakes and and then gave us 4 turnovers as well. I don't recall ISU making many mistakes (outside of penalties).

Additionally, we kept the ball most of the 4th quarter so they didn't even get a chance to throw the ball much the second half. The best defense is the one sitting on the bench watching the offense burn up the clock!

I think a combination of the two.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think I read in the Missoulian that this Portland State QB was the second leading QB in the Big Sky to the kid at NAU.

We held one of the best passing attacks to 11-27 186 yards. We had two picks and it should have been three, one of the Freshmen had a ball thrown right to him and dropped it. And the QB had one 45 yarder that was a dead duck floater and was just a total fluke that he completed it. That led to Portlands 1st TD.

The secondary has definitely stepped it up.

The Griz changed things up a bit this week. They played six defensive backs a lot. As I reflect on the strategy, it seems like a good one in that we have a couple of tweeners in Decoite and Meyers who can play like d-backs or linebackers. The key to the six in coverage is that the run support was there as well, evidenced by PSU having just over 100 yards rushing for the game.

Pass Defense starts at the D-Line. If they are putting pressure on the QB, then the whole pass defense gets much easier. You could have the best d-backs in your secondary and if the QB has time to throw the ball, i am sure a majority of us egriz members could get open.

I believe that ISU did a great job limiting the pressure our d-line was able to put on their QB. Thus, making it easier for their wr's to get open.

Against PSU our d-line/lb's put a tremendous amount of pressure on the QB, and by the results you can see the difference in the game.

All I'm gonna say is you better find a way to stop Clarence Moore. No smack intended. The guy is amazing. I'll even say Randy Moss like, (OK, OK... not quite that good.) He gave Joey Thomas fits all day. Joey was only able to contain him part of the time and IMO Joey had a pretty decent game. He's 6-5, fast, makes great adjustments, and has very sticky hands. He will play in the NFL. :eek:

Good luck on Sat. and I'm actually going to pull for you as I think it's our best bet to make the playoffs. :wink:

poorgriz said:
All I'm gonna say is you better find a way to stop Clarence Moore. No smack intended. The guy is amazing. I'll even say Randy Moss like, (OK, OK... not quite that good.) He gave Joey Thomas fits all day. Joey was only able to contain him part of the time and IMO Joey had a pretty decent game. He's 6-5, fast, makes great adjustments, and has very sticky hands. He will play in the NFL. :eek:

Good luck on Sat. and I'm actually going to pull for you as I think it's our best bet to make the playoffs. :wink:

Yeah, it sounded like Joey was an animal as far as pulling balls down. I think the cats are a bit stronger than the Griz in the DB category, but our pass rush is better. Let's hope we can get a few sacks early in the game to give NAU's QB happy feet.

To me there was a world of difference in the two games, and that was in our ablility to put pressure on the Quarterback. Against Idaho State (and you have to give their O-line credit), the QB had all afternoon to find his receivers. We never did put any pressure on him.
Against Portland State,our D-line was putting pressure against their QB all afternoon. Just before half-time their QB was flushed out of the pocket and he made a desperation throw, off his back foot--it floated in and he made the completion. He tried the same thing in the third quarter----and Edwards picked it. Our blitz packages worked and out D-line was aggressive against Portland---it made out D-backs look a lot better!

Latest posts

Back