• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

PAOLI GUEST COLUMN IN MISSOULIAN

racehorsewilly

Sorry that I'm not computer literate enough to submit the article in the Sunday Missoulian, but someone else certainly can, and I hope will. It says it all, and I'm actually surprised that Paoli would write it, knowing the political clout that Williams seems to have. I'll give my business to Paoli from now on.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
racehorsewilly said:
Sorry that I'm not computer literate enough to submit the article in the Sunday Missoulian, but someone else certainly can, and I hope will. It says it all, and I'm actually surprised that Paoli would write it, knowing the political clout that Williams seems to have. I'll give my business to Paoli from now on.

Here ya go Willy...and whoever else wants to read it...:

http://missoulian.com/news/opinion/...cle_e46d7116-8d8c-11e2-929d-0019bb2963f4.html

Thank you!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

sudavis said:
Could someone post the article (not a link-since this would require me giving the Missoulian $.)
You don't need to pay - you get a certain number of free views....or, just hit the "stop" button as soon as you can see the whole article, it'll keep the sign-up from triggering. :thumb:

Just reading through the comments here... one poster mentions that Paoli doesn't have the "reputation that he thinos he has" in the Missoula community. Those of you who live in the Missoula area - what is the general opinion of Dave? He seemed like a likeable & respectable person IMO.

GrizMusician said:
Just reading through the comments here... one poster mentions that Paoli doesn't have the "reputation that he thinos he has" in the Missoula community. Those of you who live in the Missoula area - what is the general opinion of Dave? He seemed like a likeable & respectable person IMO.

He is darned good at his area of specialty - personal injury work, and more than passable as a criminal defense attorney. I would definitely go to him if I was injured, but if I was facing prison, he would probably be lower on the list.

Here is a little secret. Even if you surpass your monthly quota of Missoulian article views, you can get past their pay wall by stopping your browser before the story completely loads. Turns out, the code writers for their online website are stupid. But, you all should know that given that it takes so long for their pages to load.

Below is the column in full.
It's thoughtful and well-written- something one would expect from an experienced political figure like Pat Williams, but has been sorely missing in his comments on Griz athletics. As an individual Pat should be able to comment on things as he sees fit, but as a Regent, he should be aware of his job of representing all of the institutes of higher education in Montana.In this regard, he has come up woefully short.

Williams’ comment jeopardized a fair trial
2 HOURS AGO • GUEST COLUMN BY DAVID R. PAOLI
Pat Williams is a friend of mine. So, he will understand my advice.
Williams earned my respect and support for more than three decades. Sadly, that respect
ended last month when he spoke, again, to a New York Times reporter. Williams abused his
position as a regent to ignorantly blast University of Montana student-athletes, seriously
jeopardized a young man’s fair trial.
Williams gave a New York Times reporter red meat quotes about the university recruiting
“thugs” to its football team and that the “thuggery” had to stop. When he was roundly criticized
for his bombastic statements, he wrote a guest opinion to explain himself. Pat, when you are
explaining, you’re losing. Now, his refusal to recognize his poor judgment is astounding. Given
his years of experience and titles, Williams should have quickly apologized, not defended
himself as a “straight talker” speaking “purposely blunt.” Montanans are a forgiving bunch.
Montanans apologize when they are wrong.
More than his offensive language, the timing of Williams’ ambush is more concerning. His
quotes ran on Feb. 6 in a New York Times story regarding a highly publicized trial set to begin
two days later. His “thugs” and “thuggery” quotes were printed two paragraphs above a
discussion of whether the falsely accused could receive a “fair trial amid such controversy.”
Williams now claims he didn’t know the purpose for which his quotes would be used nor when
the story would run. This is odd and naive. Those are the first two questions anybody would ask
a reporter, especially a man who has dealt with the press, as Williams has. His reporter friend at
the New York Times ran the story two days before the trial began with a headline that made
specific reference to the trial. The atmosphere in Missoula was, to say the least, highly charged.
Williams’ “explanation” last Sunday claimed that he hadn’t commented further in deference to
the ongoing trial. This is equally curious given that once he was questioned about his Times’
quotes he “doubled down” and confirmed them the next day in a radio interview. Then he began
a public relations campaign seeking supporters.
Williams previously provided juicy material to this Times writer and when he did so, as a friend, I
contacted him so that we could talk about it face-to-face. I thought our discussion provided
friendly advice and we understood each other. I thought, wrongly, that the concerns I shared
were genuinely received.
Williams also said in his guest opinion that he did not refer to “personnel, the team or other
athletes.” He clearly did. His quotes specifically reference football players, the university and the
football team, past and present. He even emphasized last Sunday that he gave special thought
to his word choice.
Williams claims that his comments were “purposely blunt” and that Montanans expect “straight
talk” from their representatives. No. Montanans expect honest, reasoned judgment and respect
from their representatives. Montanans do not expect cheap quotes to the New York Times to
develop more frenzy and throw kerosene on an already blazing situation. To make these quotes
at any time is inexcusable. To make them for a story that ran two days before trial and confirm
them one day before that trial is reckless.
I was ethically prohibited from commenting on Williams’ media exploits before and during trial. I
have waited to measure my response to consider Williams’ apology; not to me, but to the many
Montanans he offended. Williams’ stinging broad-brush labeled many and offended even more.
One young student-athlete put it this way when considering his regent’s quotes: “I live with my
mom and our cat. I’m a communications major and have a 3.6 GPA. I’m a thug.” Pat, “explain”
yourself to him and his mother. Better yet, apologize.
Williams is not a racist. However, his use of the racial epitaphs “thugs” and “thuggery” are racist.
Anyone who has lived in D.C. or Seattle or Berkeley or anywhere else knows very clearly that
the use of these words have serious and hurtful racial overtones. The use of these racial slurs
requires an apology.
No, Pat, Montanans don’t expect their “straight talk” to be found in a New York Times story. We
want serious people who will devise a plan of action. We want our representatives to have all
the facts before they speak to the press. You work to solve nothing when you give incendiary
quotes to the New York Times or any other media outlet.
David R. Paoli is a local trial lawyer.

behappp said:
Below is the column in full.
It's thoughtful and well-written- something one would expect from an experienced political figure like Pat Williams, but has been sorely missing in his comments on Griz athletics. As an individual Pat should be able to comment on things as he sees fit, but as a Regent, he should be aware of his job of representing all of the institutes of higher education in Montana.In this regard, he has come up woefully short.

Williams’ comment jeopardized a fair trial
2 HOURS AGO • GUEST COLUMN BY DAVID R. PAOLI
Pat Williams is a friend of mine. So, he will understand my advice.
Williams earned my respect and support for more than three decades. Sadly, that respect
ended last month when he spoke, again, to a New York Times reporter. Williams abused his
position as a regent to ignorantly blast University of Montana student-athletes, seriously
jeopardized a young man’s fair trial.
Williams gave a New York Times reporter red meat quotes about the university recruiting
“thugs” to its football team and that the “thuggery” had to stop. When he was roundly criticized
for his bombastic statements, he wrote a guest opinion to explain himself. Pat, when you are
explaining, you’re losing. Now, his refusal to recognize his poor judgment is astounding. Given
his years of experience and titles, Williams should have quickly apologized, not defended
himself as a “straight talker” speaking “purposely blunt.” Montanans are a forgiving bunch.
Montanans apologize when they are wrong.
More than his offensive language, the timing of Williams’ ambush is more concerning. His
quotes ran on Feb. 6 in a New York Times story regarding a highly publicized trial set to begin
two days later. His “thugs” and “thuggery” quotes were printed two paragraphs above a
discussion of whether the falsely accused could receive a “fair trial amid such controversy.”
Williams now claims he didn’t know the purpose for which his quotes would be used nor when
the story would run. This is odd and naive. Those are the first two questions anybody would ask
a reporter, especially a man who has dealt with the press, as Williams has. His reporter friend at
the New York Times ran the story two days before the trial began with a headline that made
specific reference to the trial. The atmosphere in Missoula was, to say the least, highly charged.
Williams’ “explanation” last Sunday claimed that he hadn’t commented further in deference to
the ongoing trial. This is equally curious given that once he was questioned about his Times’
quotes he “doubled down” and confirmed them the next day in a radio interview. Then he began
a public relations campaign seeking supporters.
Williams previously provided juicy material to this Times writer and when he did so, as a friend, I
contacted him so that we could talk about it face-to-face. I thought our discussion provided
friendly advice and we understood each other. I thought, wrongly, that the concerns I shared
were genuinely received.
Williams also said in his guest opinion that he did not refer to “personnel, the team or other
athletes.” He clearly did. His quotes specifically reference football players, the university and the
football team, past and present. He even emphasized last Sunday that he gave special thought
to his word choice.
Williams claims that his comments were “purposely blunt” and that Montanans expect “straight
talk” from their representatives. No. Montanans expect honest, reasoned judgment and respect
from their representatives. Montanans do not expect cheap quotes to the New York Times to
develop more frenzy and throw kerosene on an already blazing situation. To make these quotes
at any time is inexcusable. To make them for a story that ran two days before trial and confirm
them one day before that trial is reckless.
I was ethically prohibited from commenting on Williams’ media exploits before and during trial. I
have waited to measure my response to consider Williams’ apology; not to me, but to the many
Montanans he offended. Williams’ stinging broad-brush labeled many and offended even more.
One young student-athlete put it this way when considering his regent’s quotes: “I live with my
mom and our cat. I’m a communications major and have a 3.6 GPA. I’m a thug.” Pat, “explain”
yourself to him and his mother. Better yet, apologize.
Williams is not a racist. However, his use of the racial epitaphs “thugs” and “thuggery” are racist.
Anyone who has lived in D.C. or Seattle or Berkeley or anywhere else knows very clearly that
the use of these words have serious and hurtful racial overtones. The use of these racial slurs
requires an apology.
No, Pat, Montanans don’t expect their “straight talk” to be found in a New York Times story. We
want serious people who will devise a plan of action. We want our representatives to have all
the facts before they speak to the press. You work to solve nothing when you give incendiary
quotes to the New York Times or any other media outlet.
David R. Paoli is a local trial lawyer.

:clap: :agree:

Well written piece. I especially like how he touched on the racial overtones of Williams' comments. I don't think that has been addressed enough. I am certain Pat is NOT a racist. I am in agreement with Paoli that his comments were and I'm quite certain from his responses since the original quotes, he just doesn't seem to care that he's seriously hurt and offended a lot of kids and their families, let alone so many people he was appointed to represent.

sudavis said:
Could someone post the article (not a link-since this would require me giving the Missoulian $.)
you can read as many article you want in private or incognito browsing mode on your browser

BWahlberg said:
Wow, solid - Pat's hearing is this week.
Too bad it didn't get coincidentally run in the NYT a day or two before his hearing

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

It still blows my mind that Pat spouted off like that. Hopefully he isn't representative of the intelligence level of our BORs. I haven't heard too much from him since.....what a puke.

havgrizfan said:
Well written piece. I especially like how he touched on the racial overtones of Williams' comments. I don't think that has been addressed enough. I am certain Pat is NOT a racist. I am in agreement with Paoli that his comments were and I'm quite certain from his responses since the original quotes, he just doesn't seem to care that he's seriously hurt and offended a lot of kids and their families, let alone so many people he was appointed to represent.

Could you please post some links and/or research showing that the word "thugs" is racist? Nothing about it in Websters dictionary. In old gangster movies from the 30's,40's, and 50's the "heavies" in the film that did the enforcing were referred to as "thugs".....they were all ways big,mean,tough, AND WHITE!!! Maybe I"m missing something here....are there any other words that are racist [other than the obvious ones that I won't mention] that ordinary non-racist people may be using?

Teton Cat said:
havgrizfan said:

Could you please post some links and/or research showing that the word "thugs" is racist? Nothing about it in Websters dictionary. In old gangster movies from the 30's,40's, and 50's the "heavies" in the film that did the enforcing were referred to as "thugs".....they were all ways big,mean,tough, AND WHITE!!! Maybe I"m missing something here....are there any other words that are racist [other than the obvious ones that I won't mention] that ordinary non-racist people may be using?

Thug life. Eminem might be the only white guy to use terms like that.

Articles like this will certainly help the cause. I also have a communication from one of the Senators on the confirmation committee. He claims he will do everything he can to prevent his confirmation.

Have to admit, at times I’ve felt the machine couldn’t be budged ... that the Williams rants to the press obviously grated GRIZ fans hearts but didn’t resonate well enough among the general population. I think I’ve misjudged that. Let’s hope the tide is truly turning and that Pat Williams is not given a seat on the board!

Teton, I'm not interested in doing any research on the use of the word "Thug" towards a group of young, african american males. I know how many of them feel about the word. I would challenge you to do your own research. Ask DMAC how he feels about an old white man calling young african american football players "thugs". Ask Elvis Akpla how he feels about it. And since this isn't a Griz-Cat rivalry thing, as you seem to be making it, ask Vernon Adams too, or ask Zach Baumann how they feel about that word and that sterotype. No need to respond. Ask em' or don't ask em'. I don't really care what your viewpoint is on it. The word is hurtful and offensive to a certain group of people and even if you don't think it should be, the fact is, it is.

Back