• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

One year contract rule

Sportin' Life

DONOR
I don't want to get too political here, but about this one year contract thing.

First off, isn't the Grizzly Athletic Department self supporting? How dare the legislature tell our athletic department how to spend money when they don't provide one thin dime of that money.

Secondly, doesn't a school that wants to hire a contracted coach have to buy out the contract? Why are we so stupid as to forego this opportunity to make a couple of extra bucks for absolutely no good reason.

Why do we keep electing these same types of morons?

The athletic dept. is not self supporting. Some of the Athletic budget consists of tax dollars. In fact, previous to 1999, Montana State has been getting more money from the state for it's athletic programs than UM. 1999 legislature corrected that, but George Dennison diverted that money to educational purposes.

My bad...I thought I had heard somewhere that it was self-supporting. I'm not the type to search out accounting reports and verify these sorts of things. Nonetheless, isn't the football part of the atheletic department self-supporting? If that is the case I think my argument still holds. The legislature shouldn't do anything to impede the progress of a part of the program that actually creates revenue.

Oh, and this is what got me going. Its from the GoWyoGo.com fan forum:

wishiwereinwyo
user profile
Post #6 Re: It sounds like a rule...... Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I worked for state government in Montana for a couple of years....let's just put it this way...Montana is the Ozarks of the Rockies...they are very, very, very backward there. I felt very cosmopolitan being from Wyoming when I lived there!"

On this thread they are laughing that we don't secure our coaches so that other schools will at least have to buy out a contract when they come raiding. This is from a school that has lost head coaches from Bob Devaney to Joe Tiller.

Sportin' Life said:
Oh, and this is what got me going. Its from the GoWyoGo.com fan forum:

wishiwereinwyo
user profile
Post #6 Re: It sounds like a rule...... Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I worked for state government in Montana for a couple of years....let's just put it this way...Montana is the Ozarks of the Rockies...they are very, very, very backward there. I felt very cosmopolitan being from Wyoming when I lived there!"

Yeah, Wyoming is cosmo compared to MT eh? Ummm, no. Wyoming is the Mississippi of the Rockies if Mt is the Ozarks. Mississippi as in you'd be more likely to find a cross burning in your yard in the Ryan Shepard state.

That poster's opinion of Montana is the only one like we've seen. If you look on our board, reactions are over 90% positive. Those positing negative opinions about the hire really don't know how good the coaching is in D1-AA, nor do they understand just how good the Griz have been for the past many years. Maybe they don't remember how hard we had to play to escape with a win in Laramie a few years back.

Most people didn't really think we had a shot at Glenn, partly because we know Laramie is not known as a scenic destination. I also thought he'd stick with the Griz for two more years, win another NC and get hired by the PAC-10, maybe even Washington after Ricky Neuweasel runs them into the ground.

Good luck Griz.

Lost Poke said:
That poster's opinion of Montana is the only one like we've seen. If you look on our board, reactions are over 90% positive. Those positing negative opinions about the hire really don't know how good the coaching is in D1-AA, nor do they understand just how good the Griz have been for the past many years. Maybe they don't remember how hard we had to play to escape with a win in Laramie a few years back.

Most people didn't really think we had a shot at Glenn, partly because we know Laramie is not known as a scenic destination. I also thought he'd stick with the Griz for two more years, win another NC and get hired by the PAC-10, maybe even Washington after Ricky Neuweasel runs them into the ground.

Good luck Griz.

Who's "we've seen???" You're the same damn poster as who I answered before aren't you. This being your first post :roll: ... welcome to the board.

Also, I don't think it's Laramie's so called scenic problems that would have kept Joe away. Have you been through Nebraska? It's ulier than a Mules a$$ down there. Besides, it's the stigma Laramie has with, well, we'll just say the story made national news.... and spawned one of this decades lamest (I was going to put gayest in lamest's place... but that would have caused for a bad pun) movies ever made. Sad thing... horrid movie.

Lost Poke said:

Good luck Griz.

Who's "we've seen???" You're the same damn poster that I answered before aren't you. This being your first post :roll: ... welcome to the board.

Also, I don't think it's Laramie's so called scenic problems that would have kept Joe away. Have you been through Nebraska? It's uglier than a Mules a$$ down there. He's from Nebraska Besides, it's the stigma Laramie has with, well, we'll just say the story made national news.... and spawned one of this decades lamest (I was going to put gayest in lamest's place... but that would have caused for a bad pun) movies ever made. Sad thing... horrid movie.

And yes, people do know how good IAA is. It's just tough to see a coach go just for the money. That's basically it. He said the financial end of it for the next three years is why he had to go. Never mind the "challange" that every coach in the last 8 years has been talking about when going to Wyoming. Is he a good coach? Yes. Is he going to turn Wyoming around. Negatory.

Oh, and to piggy back on the IAA/IA thing. Talent wise... yes IA gets much more of it... interesting wise IA doesn't hold shite to IAA. Come up with a playoff system. Screw the lame ass tidy Bowl games. The Trojan bowl... the "Sold Our Souls For Cash Bowl." Lame.

Lost Poke, I don't think that poster had a necessarily had a negative view of Grizzly Football or of Joe...I think he had a negative view of our populace based on his dealings with and working for our state government. To that I say, if he had the misfortune of working for our state, then I suppose he is well within his rights to slam us on that account. The one year contract rule is but one example.

Latest posts

Back