• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Ok time to focus on Appalachian State

Corn76

We have 5 months to get our @#$% figured out because 08/31/13 is coming fast!

BOONE, N.C. -- Demetrius McCray's interception with 18 seconds left stopped Montana's final drive and preserved Appalachian State's 35-27 victory Saturday night in the first regular-season meeting between the perennial Football Championship Subdivision powers.

The Grizzlies (1-1), who won their two postseason meetings with the Mountaineers (1-1), drove from their 11 to the Appalachian State 42, converting two fourth downs, before McCray's second pickoff of Trent McKinney.

McKinney's 87-yard pass to Dan Moore brought Montana within a point, 28-27, with 8:54 left, but Chris Lider missed the extra point. Steven Miller's second touchdown run increased the Mountaineers' lead to 35-27.

Jamal Jackson's 25-yard pass to Andrew Peacock early in the fourth quarter broke a 21-21 tie. Jackson completed 24 of 34 for 260 yards, his ninth consecutive game over 200 for Appalachian State.

The Mountaineers extended their regular-season home winning streak to 18 and gave coach Jerry Moore his 235th career victory.

pussycatkillerz said:
With JJ back we should beat App. @ home. :cool:

IMO, if JJ was our QB the last time we played ASU, he would have shredded their secondary! And the Griz would have proudly walked out of "The Rock" with a win!!

As much as I want to talk about this game, I kinda feel like there is so much sh1t up in the air about our offense, our qb situation (as of yet JJ is NOT a sure thing) and our HORRENDOUS secondary that we have a long, long way to go.

If we had JJ last season, we would have won both ASU and EWU games! Hopefully our secondary has learned from last year and we'll see major improvements. If so, look out!

Anyone know how app is going to be this year. New coach, new system? How many returning?
Should be a fun NIGHT! Don't know if it'll be night, but it should be.

Could be a high scoring game, depending on the Griz offense.

I like that your secondary looks like a big question mark.

App returns all of its WRs. The best App WR corps top to bottom ever. The top 4 or 5 combined for just under 3,000 yards and 17 TDs last year, and Sean Price really came along on his freshman campaign, racking up 1200 yards recieving, even though he was suspended 2 games. Jamal Jackson returns at QB, ended 2012 with 3300 yards, 21 TDs, 8 INts, 66% comp rate. All OL are back, with some new Fr and RsFr additions. RB will see a new starter though, will be more of a power runner than Miller was last year.

On defense, We'll be running a 3-4 again, this time, with Woffords old defensive coordinator. All DL return, we are stacked and have great size there. One LB spot is filled almost for sure, another 1, maybe 2 will be filled by veteran guys from the secondary or DE position. Micheal Frazier who was a LB in the Semi-final game in 2009 (had 6 tackles,) was a RB in last years Boone game, and will now be a LB again as a RsSr. We're looking for 1 starter in the secondary, we had some serious preseason injuries last year, so we'll be looking for huge improvement there. Dante Blackmon at CB went out in preseason, Doug Middleton at CB went out game 1 the week before we played you, and Roger Walker at CB was battling a serious illness for almost a year before being cleared to play halfway through the season. We should have some good depth in the back 4 if we can lay off the injuries.

As far as coaching goes, Satterfield has been here for all but 3 years of his adult life, and will be running his offense, just like he always has. He hired Woffords DC, but kept our old DC on staff, (he is actually an excellent position coach.) The continuity is there, the systems on Offense and Defense remain largely the same, but will be more agressive.

GlassOnion said:
Ashamed said:
I watched the 2009 App State/Montana game the other weekend.

I watched the 2012 game last night. 2009 was the better game, but 2012 was the W. :lol:

Don't get comfortable, that winning feeling isn't going to last. ;)

Ashamed said:
GlassOnion said:
Ashamed said:

I watched the 2012 game last night. 2009 was the better game, but 2012 was the W. :lol:

As long as Im talking football instead of conference realignment, I've already won. :thumb:

GlassOnion said:
Ashamed said:
GlassOnion said:
Ashamed said:

As long as Im talking football instead of conference realignment, I've already won. :thumb:

I have read about some of that with ASU. Sure hope you don't leave the FCS, but it doesn't look good.

Ashamed said:
I have read about some of that with ASU. Sure hope you don't leave the FCS, but it doesn't look good.

Its almost certain at this point. It looks very likely that GSU will be going with us. And JMU possibly. A Socon without GSU isnt really a place we'd like to be, and vica versa.

I'd like to even up the App/Montana series before we go though. Im skeptical if we'll be eligible for the playoffs at this point.

Appy at Montana! It's gonna be a knock down rock-n-roll party in the streets kinda game. Can't wait. Will be there with bells on and it will be the first time my youngest son, a 7-yr-old little Griz fan who can't utter the word "Cats" without inserting "stinking" in front of it, will be in the stands with me. It will be a great first time in WaGriz for my boy and I'm as excited about that as the game itself. Go GRIZ!

I for one, am having a hard time waiting for this game. Hopefully, it will be an ESPN event so that I can watch it. I hate that Root Sports has no online access.

to app. state fans,,,i have read where you guys had a heck of a recruiting class,,,are any of those folks expected to play their first year???

krammer said:
to app. state fans,,,i have read where you guys had a heck of a recruiting class,,,are any of those folks expected to play their first year???

Absolutely. Every year we have a few freshman really make an impact. I'd expect quite a few since this class was great. In 2011 we had 2 true freshmen DEs, and had a great DL.

We've got two RBs coming in, and as we're thin there 1 will probably, at the very least, back up Holloway.

Covington, a 3 star safety is enrolled for spring already, and is a favorite for the open spot in the DB.

Nathaniel Norwood at OLB could be the steal of the class, played NT in HS, has a great chance at starting.

George Vinson at MLB looks like Kimbrough Lite. It came down to the day before signing day with him, as Rutgers came flying in from nowhere.

Parker Collins at OG may also be an upgrade for our current LG.

Brandon Hunter was a 3 star guy at OT, we could use him too as we're thin at OT.

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=206288273" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thanks glassonion,,,you reloaded and are not rebuilding with all those 2- 3 star players....as a griz fan and i say this with respect for your program,,,we WILL be ready and able to win come august....you can count on it...

Thank you Krammer. We're all looking forward to the day. Last year was a good game, even though both teams werent really what they're used to being. I expect this year will be another nailbiter.

The only position we're worried about is 1-2 of the LB spots. We lost Kimbrough and Grier who were 3 year starters, but somehow we always seem to do very well there.

This will be the second very exciting spring in a row for us. Last year it was 7 new assistant coaches and the return of Satterfield, now we're returning a top 10 offense, and have brought in one of the best FCS defensive coordinators around. Its even sweeter having come at Wofford's expense!

Back