• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

OK, Just had a chance to watch the game

GeauxGriz

And this is what I came up with.

#1) The reason we are struggling running, and even more up the middle, is the center. DD is NOT a true Center. Jay Green is not doin to well there either. I saw that our pass protection is lightyears ahead of our run blocking. This is again the result of the center. DD has no problem snapping the ball and pass blocking.....it isn't that far off what he use to do at Guard. But he is just not use to snapping the ball and having to bust his ass over to block the DT or DE.....Or get up field and get a good block on the LB. But he does do better than Green from the Film I've watched. Go ahead..... if you have a tape watch the offense, but JUST watch the center. You will see what I mean.

This will be easy to fix when Garth gets back.....as I don't remember there being a drop off at that postion too bad when Garth had to replace Pelc. Then DD can go back to Guard. Not a big deal....just an injury. When will Garth be back anyway?

#2) I own JAH an Apology. He said that our LBs were not gettin' it done....and contrary to what I previously posted....he was absolutely right. We have two very good LBs....and two or three that were really suckin balls. And thro I don't want to rake any kids over the coals....I will say that we were most affective with Meyers and Thompson in the game. It also Appears that McIntyre will be good with expierence. Bad angles, poor tackling, and not shedding blocks. It was real bad. Not to mention that Fr. RB from NDSU was awesome. Even when he got hit at the line he would fall foward for two or three yards. Unlike one of our RBs. Sorry Jah. You are probably alot smarter than I am......You should probably be doin this review. :wink:

#3) That brings me to RB. Lex Hilliard is just going to be good. What a great get for our recruiting. I am excited to hear that He will start next week. He will not be a dancer like Yo was....but he will run down hill and hard! He also has good speed...so if he gets into the secondary.....

#4) The hugest play of the game.......The Disney Interception. Which one you ask? Take your pick.(punny) The first one really gave them Momentum. It came at a horrible time. Right after they had scored their first Offensive points, and right after a huge run back by Heidelberger...which IMHO should have been a touchdown. If he would have cut outside..........OH well....it is way easier to sit and watch tape and say that than to run it myself! :wink: The second one just can not happen. There was no hope of completing that pass.....get rid of it son.

#5) NDSU had an awesome second half game plan....and they exacuted it. They stuck to the run with our second stringers in. They killed us and scored. Our first stringers come back in and looked to key on the run. They play action fake and hit the wide open TE 8 million times! Nothing you can do about that. Need to stop the run from the get go.....if you don't, it opens everything up to the O coordinator.

I really hope the coaches see what I do....and that is that THE PASSING GAME IS WAY AHEAD OF OUR RUNNING GAME!!!!!!!! Lex will run hard this week, but if we are strugglin....throw the ball more. Course....I am a fan of huckin the ball around more.....alla Oakland or The Florida "fun and Gun" days. At anyrate....there were some nice things to see....and I can't wait for the Griz to take the field again.

I just have to ask, are you or have you been a coach. If not,why not let the coaches do their job and stop the complaining. Otherwise get out there & do the coaches job & see how well you can do. Can you do a much better job & get the Griz another national Championship.

Yeah, I vote for Geaux as the new Griz coach.

Why don't you pipe down, Marine. You are telling some the most dedicated and loyal Griz fans to shut up. They are just disecting the game to see what went wrong. This is a free country thanks to all our great military men and women, and that gives everyone the RIGHT to complain.

ronbo said:
Yeah, I vote for Geaux as the new Griz coach.

Why don't you pipe down, Marine. You are telling some the most dedicated and loyal Griz fans to shut up. They are just disecting the game to see what went wrong. This is a free country thanks to all our great military men and women, and that gives everyone the RIGHT to complain.

Kind of have to agree, Grey Ghosts VFMA-531.

Geaux, very constuctive. It shows exactly what the Griz need to do to get the job done. Usmc67 is just taking it the wrong way. This is by no means the "We suck, bunch of losers" kind of complaints that were all over this board earlier in the week. If the Griz implement the changes you pointed out, then we'll definitely be on our way back.

usmc67 said:
I just have to ask, are you or have you been a coach. If not,why not let the coaches do their job and stop the complaining. Otherwise get out there & do the coaches job & see how well you can do. Can you do a much better job & get the Griz another national Championship.

Sorry if that offened you. But it is the truth. If you could get your hands on a video tape you would see what I am saying.

I am not a coach, but I bet that I could do pretty well if I were. I am NOT one of may MINDLESS Griz fans that just come to the game as a social event. I love football, and the X's and O's of Football. Even in victory I watch the film to see what areas the Griz do well in and the areas they struggle in.

Most Griz fans have no idea why we win or lose...they are just there for the beer and the fellowship of other drunk Montanians, which is fine......I don't tell them they have to understand football to be there and be a fan.....so you don't tell me that I have to not understand football to be a fan.

If you fully read my post, you will see that it is very up beat. It ends by saying that I am freakin ready for the Griz to take the field. It also says how Lex will be awesome...and how the running game will improve with the return of our center. It is called constructive critisim, which is probably harder for military guys to understand. It probably won't ever influence the coaches.....but it does strike up debates among others who understand X's and O's. If you are not one of those....please skip my posts that will say in the title "Game Video"....cuz every week I get a video I will share my thoughts about the game. It's called being FANATIC about the Griz.

Part of your post really ticked me off......."why don't you let the coaches do their job." Their job is to put a high quality team that has a high quality performance every week. So they didn't do their job last week, which brings you to the second part of their job: To deal with fans who will demand better, and give external critisim. It is because of fans that these coaches have their jobs.....and if they don't get it done, it will be because of fans that they will lose their jobs. So in that way.....the fans are a much bigger part of National Championships than even the coaches. Fans armed with the thruth about x's and o's at least direct their grumblings in the right direction....and not toward each other. :wink:

Great post Geaux!! Many of us know there were problems on the line and the running game but you took the time to review and post it. It's kind of like you are our Quarterback's Club. I am sure the REAL coaches noticed these things and will fix them. You gave me back more confidence in the team with you post. Thanks, and good job!

I, for one, appreciated your post Geaux - it sounded like an objective review of the game to me, and better than the "this sucks that sucks" type posts we have seen. One question though - from my seat it looked like Disney had an open receiver on nearly every pass play, and didn't throw to them - did you see that in the film, or was it just me (I'm no expert, just a mildly inebriated fan :drinking: ). Thanks for the information

People are a little touchy of late, Geaux. I for one wait for your analyses of games, and appreciate them. I understand that the overly bitchy posts can be tiresome, but I kind of think there can be room for almost anything here. Anyways, keep doing what you do, Geaux, I like learning about these things (even if I like the beer drinking, too).

I fifth or sixth that. Remember the old comercial Bo Knows. "Geaux Knows". Other than calling me smart, I think I agree with Geaux's analysis.
Wish I could get film, the only one I have at this point is the one from Griz/Paladins NC game.

I also thank you, Geaux. It rather amazes me that someone would not only take the time to break down the game, BUT also then take the additional time to share that information with the rest of us (most of whom who couldn't analyze a game as you did, no matter how hard we tried!).

Anyway, thanks for a positive. I admit I'm still stuck back in my cranky- Saturday mood...and that I have been very unhappy with what this coaching staff has done from the start. After the Maine game, I tried to tell myself that they would "fix" the problems we all saw there. However, the results of the NDSU game illustrate otherwise. Right now I am holding my breath (and further comments) until after tomorrow's game. Based on what I've seen to date, I'm not very hopeful.... But, more than that, I hope I am 100% wrong!! :-?

Geaux,

I agree with the others who appreciate your putting down your views of the game. I'm about a 1/3 done watching it myself.

Two points to address your take on the game.

1. supposedly Engar won't start at center...unless Hauck changes his mind from putting who he thinks the best 5 are. The 5 we start now are who he feels is best. I guess if he has made an error in judgement we'll see Garth Enger play center, but i wonder if that would mean shifting the other olinemen back to their original spots? that would sure be difficult for them.

2. The LBs are sometimes being asked to be "flex" backers as seen in the old dessert swarm D of Arizona. Well, simply, these backers are best suited for that scheme according to some coaches i have talked with.

I wonder if saying the score outloud would be considered complaining?

Grizbeer said:
I, for one, appreciated your post Geaux - it sounded like an objective review of the game to me, and better than the "this sucks that sucks" type posts we have seen. One question though - from my seat it looked like Disney had an open receiver on nearly every pass play, and didn't throw to them - did you see that in the film, or was it just me (I'm no expert, just a mildly inebriated fan :drinking: ). Thanks for the information

That very well could be....I did not look real hard at that....I was more concerned with the line. But I am sure you may be right. It did seem that Dis would lock on his primary alot of times.

GrizMania said:
1. supposedly Engar won't start at center...unless Hauck changes his mind from putting who he thinks the best 5 are. The 5 we start now are who he feels is best. I guess if he has made an error in judgement we'll see Garth Enger play center, but i wonder if that would mean shifting the other olinemen back to their original spots? that would sure be difficult for them.

2. The LBs are sometimes being asked to be "flex" backers as seen in the old dessert swarm D of Arizona. Well, simply, these backers are best suited for that scheme according to some coaches i have talked with.

I thought Engar was tryin to come back from an injury....AM I wrong about that? I thought that was the whole reason for all the shifting....I mean I did read where Hauck said he wanted his best five out there, but I thought that was after Garth got hurt......I may be wrong, but I hope not. :-?

At any rate...I don't think it would be to hard for them. They would all go back to the postions they were at last year.....and blocking schemes don't seem to be that different.....

As for #2...did you mean that our LBs are NOT suited for playing the Flex according to some coaches you've talked to? My understanding of the flex D is limited....but I do know that it is HEAVY reliant on the LB reads. The LB need to be quick to the ball on runs and take good angles.....We need to work on that.

As for "Geaux Knows".........It made me laugh! But its not the truth. I am sure many of you know way more about it than me...... I'm just a crazy fan that lives in Louisiana, and would rather watch Griz game film than do my homework. :wink: It's a lot more fun to watch it when you know the out come is a W!

GLAD TO SEE I'M NOT THE ONLY GRIZ FAN THAT ATTENDS THE GAME AND THEN GOES HOME AND REVIEWS THE GAME TAPE "IN SLOW MOTION" OVER AND OVER AGAIN. A REAL EYE OPENER.

usmc67 said:

Ummm, was he bitching??? I thought he was giving his interpretations.

ooh rah!

Apparently we both got off the wrong foot with each other in our perspective of the game. To start off with,I did graduate from the UofM in 1975 & our son just graduated last year & my brother graduated in 1973,so we do have a family tradition going of graduating from the UofM.
When my son played football at Sentinel High school,his team won one game in two years & that was by a field goal. He earned varsity letters for those two years,yet would have traded them in gladly for winning seasons. I learned there to respect the players who stuck it out during those years & kept playing even though they lost. It takes a better person to stay with a losing team than to stay with a winning team. I know the players & coaches did their best,but apparently it wasn't enough.
Kane Ione I believe has said it the best.He has the utmost respect for the Griz as they have raised the level of Big Sky football to its highest standards yet where its nationally recognized. That,in turn,has forced the otherteams to get better coaches & players not only to compete with the Griz,but to eventually dethrone the Griz,much as some teams tried doing with Marchall & Georgia Sourthern. To that,we do owe a debt of gratitude to the coaches and Players.
Lastly,My wife & i have had season tickets for theGriz during thelast six years & the eight years before that,we went to the games as much as our budget would allow, as at that time we were wtill raising a family. Point being,is that at times over the years,I admit that I was a vocal critic of the way the griz played their games. Maybe withage & mellowing out & remembering the lesson from my son,I have learned not to be so criticial of the team. We all have our right to freedom of speech and our opinions,so we all need to respect each others opinion. Maybe I did take your statement as being overly negative, because during all those years in the stands I heard allot of people being extremely critical of the coaches &players,which may have been uncalled for. So maybe I've gotten to be a little overly sensitive of people being what I percieve as overly criticial.
The Griz have had a great ride for the last 17 years & hopefully it will continue for many more years,but sometime, good things do come to an end. My coworkers who are MSU alum &die hard cat fans have suffered for many years with their team. I wonder how the Griz faithfull would be if the griz went on an extended slide of losing seasons. Well, I have to pack up the rig & head to the game. Hopefull, the Griz will return to their old form & blow out Sam Houston.As long as they win,thats all that counts. Be talking to you later.

Back