• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

OH YEAH!! Keep this in mind for tomorrow

grizfanatic

We need to live up to this article tomorrow!!! (I lifted it from the other board---sorry if it's already been here, but I don't think so) Let's get ROWDY! Here's the article:

Bearkats prepared for rowdy crowd

By Jason Barfield/Assistant Sports Editor

For a handful of Sam Houston State players, it will be nothing new. But for a majority of the Bearkats, Saturday's game at Washington-Grizzly Stadium on the campus of the University of Montana will be unique.

Montana is widely regarded as the having the best game-day atmosphere and crowd in all of Division I-AA football.

Broderick Richardson, who was on the 2001 SHSU team that traveled to Montana for a I-AA playoff game, said the players who haven't been there will be in shock.

"They have to get their minds right because this is unlike anything they have ever played in before," Richardson said. "I don't care if they were in playoff games or state championship games. This is going to be a totally different experience for them as far as the crowd goes."

Steven Hagler agreed.

"Awesome. Totally awesome," Hagler said, recalling the crowd at Montana. "Wow, it was loud. The loudest thing I have ever heard. Right when you think it is loud, it gets louder."

If the Kats thought it was loud in 2001, they will be in for a surprise when they return to Washington-Grizzly Stadium on Saturday. In 2001, the Kats had 18,125 screaming fans to deal with. Since then, Montana has expanded its stadium, and in last week's home opener, more than 23,000 fans were in attendance.

Bearkats coach Ron Randleman said he hasn't talked to his team much about what to expect, but will do so once the players arrive tonight.

"We talked to them a little bit about it the other night, about how close the crowd is to you," he said. "When you are not in the game, you have to stay focused on the game and not let the crowd know you can hear them. For the young guys, that is tough. A lot of them have not had anybody right behind them saying things."

Hagler said the players who were there before have been trying to talk to the younger guys on the team to let them know what to expect. He said the Grizzlies crowd is good and it makes for a fun atmosphere.

"They do, however, make it difficult on the offense," Hagler said. "I think the coaches prepared us, but we were still overwhelmed last time. We just didn't know what to expect. We can't worry about things that we can't control, though."

Cory Zeno, another member of the 2001 team, said the coaches and veterans can do all the talking they want, but in the end, everyone on the team has to experience it for themselves.

"It is probably one of the loudest crowds in the nation," Zeno said. "It is real hard to play there. You have to come in with a lot of focus. I can't say I was expecting that many people. It was an experience."

Richardson said the key will be to block everything out.

"In the end, it is still just a stadium," Richardson said. "It is our job to go out and play football in it and not worry about what is going on around us. They are extremely loud, and we have to go through some silent counts, but it is nothing we aren't capable of doing."

"In the end, it is still just a stadium," Richardson said. "It is our job to go out and play football in it and not worry about what is going on around us. They are extremely loud, and we have to go through some silent counts, but it is nothing we aren't capable of doing."

Just a stadium... Really? I guess they will have to decide that one for themselves.

Latest posts

Back