• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Not Delany's fault-it is all Engstroms

allgriz

DONOR
Engstrom fired O'Day and Phlu without cause and I do mean without cause without giving any thought to a succession plan, the timing or replacement. Engstrom then due to not knowing better and in a panic, hires a guy who is retired, never was a successful head coach and lacked experience at this level to guide the program. Not Delany's fault he accepted and I truly believe he has done his best and has accomplished some good results off the field but he is not a head coach nor does he have assistants with the needed experience. Delany makes terrible game time decisions and was hired by a guy who makes worse decisions. Engstrom needs to take responsibility and make his first, rational, good decision to find a qualified, experienced head coach with a resume in which the players can be confident in and Delany and staff need to get out of the way of the players and the program's success. If Engstrom can not change direction then the BOR needs to take action on his future. In addition to the above comments Engstrom over negotiated with the NCAA and the DOJ, hooked his wagon to the wrong horse in Mr. and Mrs. Williams, has hurt the University and created a drop in enrollment.
The U needs to clean house starting at the top or show immediate ability to make clear, reasoned and well thought through decisions.

allgriz said:
Engstrom fired O'Day and Phlu without cause and I do mean without cause without giving any thought to a succession plan, the timing or replacement. Engstrom then due to not knowing better and in a panic, hires a guy who is retired, never was a successful head coach and lacked experience at this level to guide the program. Not Delany's fault he accepted and I truly believe he has done his best and has accomplished some good results off the field but he is not a head coach nor does he have assistants with the needed experience. Delany makes terrible game time decisions and was hired by a guy who makes worse decisions. Engstrom needs to take responsibility and make his first, rational, good decision to find a qualified, experienced head coach with a resume in which the players can be confident in and Delany and staff need to get out of the way of the players and the program's success. If Engstrom can not change direction then the BOR needs to take action on his future. In addition to the above comments Engstrom over negotiated with the NCAA and the DOJ, hooked his wagon to the wrong horse in Mr. and Mrs. Williams, has hurt the University and created a drop in enrollment.
The U needs to clean house starting at the top or show immediate ability to make clear, reasoned and well thought through decisions.
From that line of thinking you can state. Not Engstrom's fault. Blame the Board of Regents. BOR put a guy in office that was immediately in over his head. Then Engstrom may have done the same with Delaney.

PlayerRep said:
I agree with most of your post, but point out that UM has very good asst coaches.
I wont disagree with you, but I do not feel Delaney inspires people to next level. Griz don't have the swagger they had with other coaches. He doesn't seem to know when to override a bad idea such as last years punting debacle. If true about the 4th 8 vs actually 4th 1, then that is really scary about who is leading this team. Mick is a great great great man. Honorable man whom has done some good things. But I think in over his head.

NativeGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
I agree with most of your post, but point out that UM has very good asst coaches.
I wont disagree with you, but I do not feel Delaney inspires people to next level. Griz don't have the swagger they had with other coaches. He doesn't seem to know when to override a bad idea such as last years punting debacle. If true about the 4th 8 vs actually 4th 1, then that is really scary about who is leading this team. Mick is a great great great man. Honorable man whom has done some good things. But I think in over his head.

My view is that swagger comes mainly from continued success, not from the head coach.

See Brint's update on the FG call, and likely reporter mistake.

PlayerRep said:

Not totally disagreeing with you I just don't think there is enough evidence out there to say that they are all very good coaches. Where's the proof or support for your statement that the assistant coaches are very good? Very little experience in all areas so I think the jury is still out on this.

Coach D is still not the coach for us

I heard him on the radio this morning talking about how we have Sac, Weber and the cats left to play

If our coach isn't disliked by the fans in our conference...we have the wrong guy

PlayerRep said:
NativeGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

My view is that swagger comes mainly from continued success, not from the head coach.

True, but if the head coach doesn't have swagger, the team never will. It does feed down.

grizpack said:
PlayerRep said:
NativeGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

True, but if the head coach doesn't have swagger, the team never will. It does feed down.

In college, my team had swagger but the head coach didn't. Only one example, of course.

Did UM have swagger in 2011, and did Pflu have Swagger? Just asking for opinions.

PlayerRep said:
grizpack said:
PlayerRep said:
NativeGriz said:

In college, my team had swagger but the head coach didn't. Only one example, of course.

Did UM have swagger in 2011, and did Pflu have Swagger? Just asking for opinions.
good question. I don't know if Pflu had swagger, but I think the guy was brilliant and made good 1/2 time adjustments.

The idea that Engstrom, the guy that could fire people without every talking to the guys, makes me very depressed. Nothing good will happen to our football program with such a person in charge. He seems like something alien to me. Griz football deserves better. Oh, by the way, has anybody ever heard Engstrom say anything good about the Griz football team?

PlayerRep said:

I don't think so. If I remember correctly, Josh used up all of his eligibility in 2006. Fortunately Berquist turned out to be a pretty good quarterback, so I think the Griz will be o.k. without him.

PlayerRep said:

Pflugrad always appeared nervous to me. I wouldn't have said he had swagger.

Some of the comments before and after last Saturday's game sound a lot like 2010 and '11. Lots of second guessing of playcalling and "fire pflugrad" comments. Funny how, after a few years, he looks like an offensive genius. Lots of complaints about all the bubble screens and "lack of a vertical passing game"...

We have a relatively inexperienced coaching staff this year as we did in '11. We're gonna be just fine.

YITB

PlayerRep said:
grizpack said:
PlayerRep said:
NativeGriz said:

I don't think Pflu had much swagger. But he did have extreme football intelligence, and the team carried enough swagger over from Hauck. In this case, I don't think Mick has much swagger, nor do I think the team looks at him as a football genius. Great guy, but neither of those things. Gregorak has it. Green has it. Keyfense (sp?) seems to have it. Gragg carries NFL experience. Not sure about the other coaches.

As for the young coaches, Green and Brunelle (sp) each have very bright coaching futures. As for swagger, Defensively, it is hard to not have swagger with Breske calling the plays. Meanwhille TG and Paulson (our DC's between Breske) did not have that kind of swagger. Their game plans were and are too vanilla. I think Ty has the swagger personally. Professionally, he is progressing in getting it. I don't get how such an aggressive personality, can have such a vanilla defensive strategy. I do like this year's defense better than last season's from a strategic stand point.

Hauck was all swagger. Robin, not so much swagger as it was confidence in his offensive strategies. Again, big difference from year 1 to year 2 for him. His team, and staff got better as time went on.

I do agree regarding the Engstrom comments. The question is, Where do we get an experienced coaching staff with what is paid? This is a stepping stone job. I don't see how this university can ever get a really experience staff. Hauck and Pflu were both reaches at the time. We have to reach to find a bright young coach with potential. Glenn was the most "experienced" coach we hired since Reed. Even then, his experience was at lower level football. I guess we can find a guy in his 40's or 50's that wants to be in Montana and give it 10 plus years here. Beyond that, I think it is hard for us to find an experienced staff.

mtgrizrule said:
As for the young coaches, Green and Brunelle (sp) each have very bright coaching futures. As for swagger, Defensively, it is hard to not have swagger with Breske calling the plays. Meanwhille TG and Paulson (our DC's between Breske) did not have that kind of swagger. Their game plans were and are too vanilla. I think Ty has the swagger personally. Professionally, he is progressing in getting it. I don't get how such an aggressive personality, can have such a vanilla defensive strategy. I do like this year's defense better than last season's from a strategic stand point.

Hauck was all swagger. Robin, not so much swagger as it was confidence in his offensive strategies. Again, big difference from year 1 to year 2 for him. His team, and staff got better as time went on.

I do agree regarding the Engstrom comments. The question is, Where do we get an experienced coaching staff with what is paid? This is a stepping stone job. I don't see how this university can ever get a really experience staff. Hauck and Pflu were both reaches at the time. We have to reach to find a bright young coach with potential. Glenn was the most "experienced" coach we hired since Reed. Even then, his experience was at lower level football. I guess we can find a guy in his 40's or 50's that wants to be in Montana and give it 10 plus years here. Beyond that, I think it is hard for us to find an experienced staff.

That is why the firing of Pflugrad was so harmful. He was committed to UM for the long haul.

AllWeatherFan said:
Just think how good Northern Colorado could be if they had "swagger!"
Or how good the defense would be if the DC had fire in the belly. That used to be big among egrizzers.

Back