• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

North End Zone Rules, when to stand?

JayLarson

With a very big conference game coming up this weekend, there is something that has been on my mind. I will not be making this weekend's game cause I can't afford it, but there is something that I have noticed since I started attending at least 1 game a year since '08. There are a heck of alot less people standing up and making noise at games, and more people telling people to sit down. I realize that some of the fan base is aging, but that is no excuse. If you are capable of standing and yelling you should have to if you are in the NEZ.

Here are my set of rules of when to stand and make noise.

1. Any time the opponent is backed up to or coming to the NEZ and are with in the 30 yard line, on every down.

2. Any time the opponent is facing a 3rd or 4th down no matter where they are on the field.

3. Any kickoffs

4. Any time the Griz score a TD, you should stand through the extra point as well.

5. Any field goal attempt by the opponent.

6. Any time the other team has the ball in the 4th quarter and the score is within 7 points.

Under no circumstances will any fan in the NEZ tell someone in front of them to sit down, or make negative comments about the person standing and yelling. Paying 30 to 70 bucks to get in to the game and sit in the NEZ entitles you to yell and stand up all you want.

Also, if you sit in the NEZ and it is a conference or meaningful non-conference games, you must get back in for the second half kickoff. Half the crowd being outside of the stadium takes away alot of the home field advantage, most momentum swings happen in the first 5 min after half time.

These rules should apply to the whole stadium, but I will settle for the NEZ.
BE LOUD AND PROUD GRIZ FANS!!!!

P.S these rules do not apply if the Grizzlies are up by more than 24 points.

Way to go Jay. I love your enthusiasm. You are right, those rules should apply stadium wide but I think only the North End Zone crazies can be relied on to measure up to your high standards. And if you bought a seat in the North End Zone and can't meet the requirements at least let the others do their part without telling them to sit down. GO GRIZ!

I like those rules Jay. There were a lot of threads about this last season and truthfully every season on eGriz but this is the first time someone laid down guidelines. :thumb:
I've been told to sit down before. It irritates me it is a football game not chess we are watching. I've used the rule I pay near $1000 for my season tickets in the NEZ I'll stand if I F$#king want to. Agree Hammer?

Jay you are slacking

Your thread should have the title you picked then in the message window

ALWAYS
/endthread

Then a mod (like they are ever on the ball) would have locked it.

Brevity is the spice of life

:coffee:

RULES? I will agree that there is less noise than there should be. Half way up section 126 there is the same noise. We get up when we think we can turn a play. For some reason we sat in the student section, once. That was the section that sat on their butts, talked a lot, and showed little interest. The rules are, get up on defense and yell as loud as you can. Ignore all talk from creeps that watch the game like they were at home. Kickoffs are for plenty of noise. A couple of decades ago I swore I heard my echo from across the field. That got me louder. GO GRIZ!!

I don't think mandatory standing would work but I do think the admin needs to look into "Standing Allowed" sections in addition to the student section. That way, it's fair warning to people who are less energetic and can avoid those areas and just sit and watch the game. Then, if people want to stand up and be loud, they don't have to worry about others harrassing them for supporting their team.

I like the idea of the NEZ (at least) being a designated standing area. Heck, and if you are one who just wants to watch the game in peace, sit behind the visitor section or watch at home on tv.

JayLarson said:
With a very big conference game coming up this weekend, there is something that has been on my mind. I will not be making this weekend's game cause I can't afford it, but there is something that I have noticed since I started attending at least 1 game a year since '08. There are a heck of alot less people standing up and making noise at games, and more people telling people to sit down. I realize that some of the fan base is aging, but that is no excuse. If you are capable of standing and yelling you should have to if you are in the NEZ.

Here are my set of rules of when to stand and make noise.

1. Any time the opponent is backed up to or coming to the NEZ and are with in the 30 yard line, on every down.

2. Any time the opponent is facing a 3rd or 4th down no matter where they are on the field.

3. Any kickoffs

4. Any time the Griz score a TD, you should stand through the extra point as well.

5. Any field goal attempt by the opponent.

6. Any time the other team has the ball in the 4th quarter and the score is within 7 points.

Under no circumstances will any fan in the NEZ tell someone in front of them to sit down, or make negative comments about the person standing and yelling. Paying 30 to 70 bucks to get in to the game and sit in the NEZ entitles you to yell and stand up all you want.

Also, if you sit in the NEZ and it is a conference or meaningful non-conference games, you must get back in for the second half kickoff. Half the crowd being outside of the stadium takes away alot of the home field advantage, most momentum swings happen in the first 5 min after half time.

These rules should apply to the whole stadium, but I will settle for the NEZ.
BE LOUD AND PROUD GRIZ FANS!!!!

P.S these rules do not apply if the Grizzlies are up by more than 24 points.

I.....Ummmm, well where to..... Never mind.

I sit in the NEZ and for the ASU game, there was someone new sitting in front of us. He mentioned that he moved to the NEZ because he was told to be quiet in his previous seats on the east side. At the beginning of the game he started to yell and I tapped him on the shoulder. He immediately turned around with a very pissed look on his face. I told him he wasn't loud enough and if he wanted to sit in the NEZ, he better bring his A game. We got along great after that.

I absolutely love this thread. I am a NEZer (2nd row just to the left of the uprights when looking down to the field). I, along with a few others around me stand way more frequently than most in the area. It has gotten pretty soft the last couple years and a lot more people seem to be sitting, but I refuse to let them influence me to not do what I love, STAND and BE LOUD at ALL TIMES.

The last home game something interesting happened... The griz were up by 30 points or so and OPSU had the ball around the 10 yard line in the NEZ, so I continued to stand and gestured everyone around me to stand up and be loud.

A gentleman in the row behind me and a few seats over yelled at me to sit down and be quiet and proceeded to tell me it was disrespectful for me to be yelling when we are winning by so much.

This damn near floored me. I couldn't believe what he was telling me. I turned around and said, "excuse me?". He said, "how would you like it if someone came in here and was beating the griz by 40". I said, "I'd be even louder than I am right now", and then turned around and started to yell even louder for that play. After the play, I told him that I wasn't necessarily yelling against their players, but cheering for ours. The Griz players that were on the field at that time hadn't experienced the game as the starters always do. So I was doing my part to let the 2nd and 3rd stringers experience playing in this environment. The team deserves us to support them throughout the entire game IMO. He wasn't pleased but didn't say anything further.

Am I wrong in my thoughts and actions?

This thread should be titled: "When Not to Stand."

And the answer:

final-word-never-say-N242OSB-x-large.jpg

chris said:
I absolutely love this thread. I am a NEZer (2nd row just to the left of the uprights when looking down to the field). I, along with a few others around me stand way more frequently than most in the area. It has gotten pretty soft the last couple years and a lot more people seem to be sitting, but I refuse to let them influence me to not do what I love, STAND and BE LOUD at ALL TIMES.

The last home game something interesting happened... The griz were up by 30 points or so and OPSU had the ball around the 10 yard line in the NEZ, so I continued to stand and gestured everyone around me to stand up and be loud.

A gentleman in the row behind me and a few seats over yelled at me to sit down and be quiet and proceeded to tell me it was disrespectful for me to be yelling when we are winning by so much.

This damn near floored me. I couldn't believe what he was telling me. I turned around and said, "excuse me?". He said, "how would you like it if someone came in here and was beating the griz by 40". I said, "I'd be even louder than I am right now", and then turned around and started to yell even louder for that play. After the play, I told him that I wasn't necessarily yelling against their players, but cheering for ours. The Griz players that were on the field at that time hadn't experienced the game as the starters always do. So I was doing my part to let the 2nd and 3rd stringers experience playing in this environment. The team deserves us to support them throughout the entire game IMO. He wasn't pleased but didn't say anything further.

See the PS, I guess that's rule # 7? Be sure to bring your regulation cheering manual to each game for quick reference.

signedbewildered said:
chris said:

See the PS, I guess that's rule # 7? Be sure to bring your regulation cheering manual to each game for quick reference.

haha, I must have missed the PS above

I don't necessarily agree, I think the boys deserve our full attention. Heck, they were even raising their arms telling fans to get going!

Good post JayLarson. Rules to live by. Having been in the NEZ since grass, I kind of assumed everyone knew that but more and more I run into "the opera people" and usually it's their first Griz game. My wife and daughter sit over in the SW corner. They actually have an older woman in front of the who whacks them with her rolled up program for yelling too loud. Out of respect for her age we haven't responded but seriously, she should be body surfed up to the handicap deck. And yes App State was about as loud as it gets. I hope the crowd gets into it for PSU.

Great post Jay. Section 130 North End Zone is a ton better this year. Seems as though everyone sitting below row 18 is standing and yelling now. In the past the place was like a morgue. (Except for the crazy lady in the first row, gotta love her Griz enthusiasm.) LOUD AND PROUD! GO GRIZ!!!!

go_griz_fans.jpg

UofMGrizFan said:
Great post Jay. Section 130 North End Zone is a ton better this year. Seems as though everyone sitting below row 18 is standing and yelling now. In the past the place was like a morgue. (Except for the crazy lady in the first row, gotta love her Griz enthusiasm.) LOUD AND PROUD! GO GRIZ!!!!

go_griz_fans.jpg

That lady brings it! Every game!

The P.S line was meant as a bailout to people that yell their faces off every other game of the season, gotta save a little voice for the next home game, and not following the rules is only forgiven with a huge Griz lead.

JayLarson said:
The P.S line was meant as a bailout to people that yell their faces off every other game of the season, gotta save a little voice for the next home game, and not following the rules is only forgiven with a huge Griz lead.

Ok, so it's still ok to yell even up by 24+ points... :thumb:

Back