• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Non-chain Grand Forks Restaurants

cody45051

Well-known member
I recommend 4:

Toasted Frog- finer food that's easy on the wallet in downtown. Good to make reservations as it is a popular place. http://toastedfrog.com/

Rhombus Guys- some of the best pizza you'll ever have. You pay for it but it is worth the price and is also located downtown http://rhombuspizza.com/

Parrot's Cay-best wings in the state. They make their own sauce and the wings are larger than any chain. A typical dive bar that's very popular among students so the wait for a seat can get long if you come after about 5:30 p.m. Located on the Southern side. https://www.facebook.com/ParrotsCay

Little Bankok- a good sushi and thai place with reasonable prices. Their rolls are a little bit bigger than the other places. It won't blow your mind but you get a pretty good meal. Located just North of the Cabela's in East Grand Forks... just across the Red River bridge from downtown. http://www.littlebangkok.info/contact.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Exit 140, Demers Avenue, best exit to get to the stadium as well, goes from the freeway all the way to downtown
 
cody45051 said:
I recommend 4:

Toasted Frog- finer food that's easy on the wallet in downtown. Good to make reservations as it is a popular place. http://toastedfrog.com/

Rhombus Guys- some of the best pizza you'll ever have. You pay for it but it is worth the price and is also located downtown http://rhombuspizza.com/

Parrot's Cay-best wings in the state. They make their own sauce and the wings are larger than any chain. A typical dive bar that's very popular among students so the wait for a seat can get long if you come after about 5:30 p.m. Located on the Southern side. https://www.facebook.com/ParrotsCay

Little Bankok- a good sushi and thai place with reasonable prices. Their rolls are a little bit bigger than the other places. It won't blow your mind but you get a pretty good meal. Located just North of the Cabela's in East Grand Forks... just across the Red River bridge from downtown. http://www.littlebangkok.info/contact.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Exit 140, Demers Avenue, best exit to get to the stadium as well, goes from the freeway all the way to downtown

Good info, although I would probably avoid sushi more than 500 miles from an ocean. Also, with a name like Grand Forks, I suspect the food must be very good.
 
seen George Carlin once in Grand Forks:

"nifty knives, super spoons and grand forks".

When i was stationed their, after a good night of drinking, go to the "big Sioux truck stop". don't know if they had to change their name too, but great "after drunk" food.
 
Definitely hit up the Red Pepper or I-29 cafe (Big Sioux) late night. Grand Junction grilled subs is great for lunch.
 
UNDGRIZ said:
Definitely hit up the Red Pepper or I-29 cafe (Big Sioux) late night. Grand Junction grilled subs is great for lunch.
grinders with taco meat and tostadas
 
BTW...if you love red pepper grinders, you can order grinder kits and they fedex them wherever you want. Definitely worth it if you haven't had one in a long time.
 
DO NOT got the Red Pepper unless you're completely wasted. It is terrible when sober.

Why North Dakotans think the Red Pepper is good food is beyond me.
 
If you go to the Pepper try a hardshell Schneider. It's not on the menu but the staff knows what it is. It's a better version of the normal taco.

Another good place to go is Speedway which is north of the Alerus. They have good ribs and burgers (18 different ones I believe) and best of all they have Grain Belt on tap. They also make one hell of a blooming onion.

If you like candy or the best caramel apples in the world Widman's candy shop is a must. Bavarian Mints and Caramel Apples are my go to. They have a ton of different things to try and even chocolate dipped jalapenos and Chippers (ruffled potato chips dipped in chocolate)
 
cody45051 said:
DO NOT got the Red Pepper unless you're completely wasted. It is terrible when sober.

Why North Dakotans think the Red Pepper is good food is beyond me.
Out of towners don't know what to order. What did you get when you went there?
 
cody45051 said:
DO NOT got the Red Pepper unless you're completely wasted. It is terrible when sober.

Why North Dakotans think the Red Pepper is good food is beyond me.
everytime I've eaten there I've been sober...still delicious.
 
geaux_sioux said:
If you go to the Pepper try a hardshell Schneider. It's not on the menu but the staff knows what it is. It's a better version of the normal taco.

Another good place to go is Speedway which is north of the Alerus. They have good ribs and burgers (18 different ones I believe) and best of all they have Grain Belt on tap. They also make one hell of a blooming onion.

If you like candy or the best caramel apples in the world Widman's candy shop is a must. Bavarian Mints and Caramel Apples are my go to. They have a ton of different things to try and even chocolate dipped jalapenos and Chippers (ruffled potato chips dipped in chocolate)
chippers are the shit...I liked them better back when I was little and they didn't have quite as much chocolate on them.
 
Jayjord said:
geaux_sioux said:
If you go to the Pepper try a hardshell Schneider. It's not on the menu but the staff knows what it is. It's a better version of the normal taco.

Another good place to go is Speedway which is north of the Alerus. They have good ribs and burgers (18 different ones I believe) and best of all they have Grain Belt on tap. They also make one hell of a blooming onion.

If you like candy or the best caramel apples in the world Widman's candy shop is a must. Bavarian Mints and Caramel Apples are my go to. They have a ton of different things to try and even chocolate dipped jalapenos and Chippers (ruffled potato chips dipped in chocolate)
chippers are the shit...I liked them better back when I was little and they didn't have quite as much chocolate on them.

I don't really eat chippers anymore for that reason. Maybe one but it just makes me wish there wasn't so much chocolate on them. The caramel apples on the other hand, pure simple perfection every time.
 
you HAVE to eat here if you are visiting Grand Forks

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/231419/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All in all, it is the largest and most beautiful restaurant now operating in Grand Forks. It attracts visitors from out of town as well as people who live here.
 
I will bear witness to Rhombus Guys being good eats.

CDAGRIZ said:
cody45051 said:
Good info, although I would probably avoid sushi more than 500 miles from an ocean.

CDAGriz -
Dave's Sushi in Bozeman is pretty damned good and that's a long way from the ocean. Being that Grand Forks is an Air Force base town, there's a good chance of people being there from around the world who have an idea what's authentic.
 
MT Jack said:
I will bear witness to Rhombus Guys being good eats.

CDAGRIZ said:
cody45051 said:
Good info, although I would probably avoid sushi more than 500 miles from an ocean.

CDAGriz -
Dave's Sushi in Bozeman is pretty damned good and that's a long way from the ocean. Being that Grand Forks is an Air Force base town, there's a good chance of people being there from around the world who have an idea what's authentic.

OK, to each his own. I don't even like to eat sushi inland of 5 freeway, so I'm probably not the best authority. Next time I'm in Bozeman, I'll hit up Dave's (that's a Japanese name, right). Thanks for the tip! :thumb:
 
Back
Top