• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Nobody good wants to play for MONTANA

Jamars answer:

Cherry and Jamar had promised this season would be different after the Griz were blown out 73-49 by Wisconsin in last year’s NCAA tournament.

“I wish I had an answer for you, but I don’t,” Jamar said when asked why this go-round was no different. “The coaches gave us a great game plan, we just couldn’t execute it. When we did execute it, we couldn’t make shots. It sucks when you work so hard, practice so hard and are given a great game plan and you can’t go out there and execute it"

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Hate to say it but a loss like this really sets us back. In the past few days I was reading some of the tweets with #GRIZ hashtag leading up to the game and I noticed the new cali recruit Mario Dunn had tweeted from an account called gifted_grizzly. After the game I was curious if the game had any effect on him and I found that the account had been deleted. I'm guessing thats not a good sign for him showing up here....

scottsdalegriz said:
Hate to say it but a loss like this really sets us back. In the past few days I was reading some of the tweets with #GRIZ hashtag leading up to the game and I noticed the new cali recruit Mario Dunn had tweeted from an account called gifted_grizzly. After the game I was curious if the game had any effect on him and I found that the account had been deleted. I'm guessing thats not a good sign for him showing up here....

His account hasn't been deleted. He changed his twitter name, and it still has "Griz" in it btw... (took a whopping 10 seconds to find it). Lets not get overly emo about this game...climb off of the ledge people.

I seriously doubt that one game is going to make a recruit have second thoughts... Anyone who has played sports before knows that sometimes you just have a real shitty game. The Griz did it in 2005-2006 (the year they beat Nevada) down in Idaho State where we couldn't hit any shots in the 2nd half. The Griz had it happen a couple years ago against when we scored what..40some points (Made the tournament that year too and gave New Mexico a game). Sometimes just about everything goes wrong, and when that happens against a very talented big time team like Syracuse, it gets ugly real fast.

The open shots were there, we just couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with them today. Uncharacteristic unforced turnovers plagued us all game as well.

And really... Fans here slamming this team based off of ONE lousy game? Give me a fuckin break....

In 2005-2006 we opened the season getting blown out by Boise State, and later got blown out by Idaho State. Remember that? I guess that team had "nobody good" on it either huh? I mean how could they, they had 2 shitty games! Criswell, Strait and Matthews sure sucked didn't they... Not sure Fazekas and Nevada would agree with that...

2009-2010 we scored 48 points against Northern Colorado...it was a low point and it sucked. It was a horrible game. Yahosh "The screamer" Bonner tortured AJ that game. Ended up in the tournament that year (after AJ's awesome game against Weber) playing UNM very close. I guess nobody good was on that team either (Qvale, AJ, Cherry...)

Want me to continue? I'm pretty sure I could find games where the Griz got bitchslapped by a team when Larry K was on the team. He wasn't very good either then I guess...

The sky is not falling, recruits are not going to all of a sudden bail because of one bad game... and saying that "nobody good" wants to play for the Griz insinuating that nobody good plays for the Griz, is pretty shitty and downright inaccurate if you ask me. And I'm sure a lot of people who follow the Griz, and college basketball would agree with me on that.

I agree with you 100% Potomac.

Dear God, one bad game and people are ready to jump off a cliff... Seriously, we are fine. We WILL get to that next level. Tinkle is building a program here. You build onto that program each year by bringing in better recruits. Tinkle will get us to that next level.

get'em_griz said:

Dear God, one bad game and people are ready to jump off a cliff... Seriously, we are fine. We WILL get to that next level. Tinkle is building a program here. You build onto that program each year by bringing in better recruits. Tinkle will get us to that next level.
I have NEVER been more humiliated as a GRIZ fan at any time, in any sport. Going 5-6 and losing to the SCATS was NOT this bad. If Wayne leaves he should do it now. If he stays my faith can be restored..

Potomac Griz said:
scottsdalegriz said:

His account hasn't been deleted. He changed his twitter name, and it still has "Griz" in it btw... (took a whopping 10 seconds to find it). Lets not get overly emo about this game...climb off of the ledge people.

I seriously doubt that one game is going to make a recruit have second thoughts... Anyone who has played sports before knows that sometimes you just have a real shitty game. The Griz did it in 2005-2006 (the year they beat Nevada) down in Idaho State where we couldn't hit any shots in the 2nd half. The Griz had it happen a couple years ago against when we scored what..40some points (Made the tournament that year too and gave New Mexico a game). Sometimes just about everything goes wrong, and when that happens against a very talented big time team like Syracuse, it gets ugly real fast.

The open shots were there, we just couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with them today. Uncharacteristic unforced turnovers plagued us all game as well.

And really... Fans here slamming this team based off of ONE lousy game? Give me a f***[*] break....

In 2005-2006 we opened the season getting blown out by Boise State, and later got blown out by Idaho State. Remember that? I guess that team had "nobody good" on it either huh? I mean how could they, they had 2 shitty games! Criswell, Strait and Matthews sure sucked didn't they... Not sure Fazekas and Nevada would agree with that...

2009-2010 we scored 48 points against Northern Colorado...it was a low point and it sucked. It was a horrible game. Yahosh "The screamer" Bonner tortured AJ that game. Ended up in the tournament that year (after AJ's awesome game against Weber) playing UNM very close. I guess nobody good was on that team either (Qvale, AJ, Cherry...)

Want me to continue? I'm pretty sure I could find games where the Griz got bitchslapped by a team when Larry K was on the team. He wasn't very good either then I guess...

The sky is not falling, recruits are not going to all of a sudden bail because of one bad game... and saying that "nobody good" wants to play for the Griz insinuating that nobody good plays for the Griz, is pretty shitty and downright inaccurate if you ask me. And I'm sure a lot of people who follow the Griz, and college basketball would agree with me on that.
This was REALLY bad dude...NAT'L HUMILIATION. Don't try to spread sugar here.

rimrockgriz said:
get'em_griz said:

I have NEVER been more humiliated as a GRIZ fan at any time, in any sport. Going 5-6 and losing to the SCATS was NOT this bad. If Wayne leaves he should do it now. If he stays my faith can be restored..

Rimrock,

A new dawn has brought both sobriety and perspective for me. As a Griz fan there is NOTHING worse than losing to the cats in football. Last night was a bad game. So what? I'm a Griz fan through good times and bad. I'm proud of that team, they were overachievers.

Go Griz!!

First off, congrats on your season and the continued success that Tinkle has built with your team.

There were a a few frustrating things that stood out last night from the Griz team like fouling the player when he has already dunked the ball, passing up wide open shots from free throw line after a great entry pass, lack of urgency, loss of focus....it was a bad time to have a bad game against a very good team.

Syracuse is always tough even when they can't hit their shots, and last night they were hitting their shots.
At least it gives Tinkle a couple of ideas on how to improve.

Good luck going forward

Potomac Griz said:
scottsdalegriz said:

And really... Fans here slamming this team based off of ONE lousy game? Give me a f***[*] break....

Potomac, I agree with most of your post, however, as I highlighted if a program really wants to move in the right direction you have to continually prove you deserve to be there. Those teams you referenced showed up on a national stage and represented the program very well. The last 2 years Montana has laid an egg on national TV which makes people believe that Montana and the conference is terrible when the team that goes 19-1 loses to the 5th place Big East by more points (47) than they scored (34). I just wanted a good representation of the program and the top of the Big Sky, unfortunately that did not happen. Here is to a good recruiting class :thumb:

rimrockgriz said:
get'em_griz said:

Bandwagon Griz fans are the real embarrassment. Back to back Big Sky Champs and two NCAA appearances and it is Tinkle's fault. Get serious for Christ's sake! Syracuse is a dominant team and if they hit shots like that all tournament could very well win it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This game really showed how weak the Big Sky Conference is. The Griz had a great year. Syracuse is an excellent team. They are used to tough games and tournaments playing in a top conference. Was hoping the Griz would at least make a decent showing. This game will not help the BSC when it comes to future tournament seedings.

GoosetownGriz said:
rimrockgriz said:
get'em_griz said:

Bandwagon Griz fans are the real embarrassment. Back to back Big Sky Champs and two NCAA appearances and it is Tinkle's fault. Get serious for Christ's sake! Syracuse is a dominant team and if they hit shots like that all tournament could very well win it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

good post Goose....Everyone knew the Griz would have to play perfect, no turnovers, shoot a high percentage and combat their size. Also that the orange would have to have a bad game...

didn't happen. sucks? yeah...but no one feels worse than those kids. they had a great year, and it's been a remarkable 4 year run.

Rimrockgriz....jump, please. We'll be lucky to have Wayne as long as he'll stay.

Anybody know how much good season tickets are? deadline and all? I'm in for next year.

bGrizzled said:
Nuff said...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Congrats bGrizzled, you just made the Hall of Fame of Dumb Posts. When you consider all the dumb posts, that was not easy to do. Rimrockgriz was not far behind.

scottsdalegriz said:

Oh please, give it a rest. Do you really think Dunn is going to waste a year of his eligibility and not show? Some of you people really should get into some drug treatment and therapy.

bpcats said:
First off, congrats on your season and the continued success that Tinkle has built with your team.

There were a a few frustrating things that stood out last night from the Griz team like fouling the player when he has already dunked the ball, passing up wide open shots from free throw line after a great entry pass, lack of urgency, loss of focus....it was a bad time to have a bad game against a very good team.

Syracuse is always tough even when they can't hit their shots, and last night they were hitting their shots.

Good luck going forward

Good post. These are some of my frustrations too. I was always taught that, if you are going to foul someone in the paint, they better not make the basket. In fact, the ball better not even get to the rim. Fouling someone after they dunk on you is just dumb, and lets the other team know how frustrated you are.

I am proud of our season, and hope Wayne stays for a LONG time. I don't think we will have him for much longer. However, the Griz showed a lack of maturity (or composure?) last night that I had hoped we were past. Looked like we resorted to playground ball a few times.

It was one of those nights. They couldn't miss and we couldn't do anything right. I'm pretty sure the sun came up this morning. Life goes on.

Go Griz!

grizpack said:
bpcats said:

Good luck going forward

Good post. These are some of my frustrations too. I was always taught that, if you are going to foul someone in the paint, they better not make the basket. In fact, the ball better not even get to the rim. Fouling someone after they dunk on you is just dumb, and lets the other team know how frustrated you are.

I am proud of our season, and hope Wayne stays for a LONG time. I don't think we will have him for much longer. However, the Griz showed a lack of maturity (or composure?) last night that I had hoped we were past. Looked like we resorted to playground ball a few times.

It was one of those nights. They couldn't miss and we couldn't do anything right. I'm pretty sure the sun came up this morning. Life goes on.

Go Griz!

Well, I'm not so sure about the sun coming up around here -- woke up to a really rare March snowstorm with a ringing hangover. But yes, of course you are right, life goes on, it's another day. The Griz had one of those Murphy's Law nights. Although I'd love to get my hands on the comedian who sneaked into my room and carpeted my tongue while I was sleeping last night, the day is here and Griz basketball will survive the dismal showing. We are lucky to have Tinkle and his staff and a group of dedicated athletes on the court.

grizpack said:
bpcats said:

Good luck going forward

Go Griz!
Boy howdy. This from the ESPN article:

For the second straight year, the Grizzlies won the Big Sky tournament to earn an NCAA tournament bid, only to fall flat in their opener. They fell 73-49 to Wisconsin a year ago, shooting 38 percent for the game, including a 3-for-14 performance from star guard Will Cherry.

Cherry was hoping for a better performance this year, especially with this game being played less than an hour from his hometown of Oakland. But he scored just two points on 1-for-12 shooting.

The Grizzlies, playing without injured leading scorer Mathias Ward, shot just 20 percent (11-for-54), missed 27 of 31 3-pointers and had more turnovers (17) than made baskets.

So, Will Cherry is a combined 4-26 in his two tournament appearances. That ain't gonna excite all those NBA scouts. :oops:

Are Montana recruits a little worried by what happened last night? Of course they are. But they are coming to Montana to maybe get into the tournament (and hopefully win a game). They aren't coming to win National Championships. We're going to be just fine, especially with such a young team. Even if we don't host the tournament next year, we'll beat Weber in either the semi-finals or final, and probably on their court ;-)

Back