• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

No, Don't leave Gwen....

ranco

Just saw that Gwen Florio is leaving the Missoulian to pursue an adventure as a novelist. I'm sure the fictional stories she writes now will not be much different than what she wrote for the Missoulian.

ranco said:
Just saw that Gwen Florio is leaving the Missoulian to pursue an adventure as a novelist. I'm sure the fictional stories she writes now will not be much different than what she wrote for the Missoulian.

:clap:

How can you write a good novel if all you do is copy and paste from old chapters?

Great news. Good riddance. Ding dong the witched witch has resigned. Too bad we'll have to tolerate her for a few more weeks. Few people in the recent history of Missoula have done more to harm the City and various segments of its populace. She is disliked by so many people, even some feminists. So many people thought she was so biased and had gone overboard on so many things. The editor is also at fault for allowing and/or participating in this.

NOOO!!! GWEN'S GONE!! This is the worst news I've heard today. She's been so great for the Missoulian, Missoula, and writing in general. She's a woman amongst women in this town.

I wonder if she'll be able to keep her characters straight in the novel... One chapter his name will be Stan, the next chapter the same character's name will be Joe.

Any guesses on what the subject of her first novel will be? :roll:

Potomac Griz said:
I wonder if she'll be able to keep her characters straight in the novel... One chapter his name will be Stan, the next chapter the same character's name will be Joe.

Any guesses on what the subject of her first novel will be? :roll:

"Foreign correspondent Lola Wicks is pissed. She’s been downsized from her Kabul posting. Her editor reassigns her to a stateside suburban beat formerly the province of interns. And when she arrives in Montana for some R&R at a friend’s cabin, her friend is nowhere in sight.

The surefooted journalist who deftly negotiated Afghanistan’s deadly terrain finds herself frighteningly off-balance in this forgotten corner of her own country, plagued by tensions between the locals and citizens of the nearby Blackfeet Nation.

In Montana, even as she unravels her friend’s terrible fate, Lola Wicks joins too many Americans in learning the hard lessons of a fraught economy — that circumstances change in a flash, that formerly overlooked places and people can hold deep value, and that in the end human bonds matter so more than fleeting career success."

http://gwenflorio.wordpress.com/montana-the-novel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That sounds riveting...

... as in reading it would probably be as enjoyable as driving rivets into your own eye sockets.

Speaking of works of fiction, I did read the memorandum of understanding between DOJ and the Missoula PD, which was released today. The memorandum in its first couple pages repeatedly states that the City and its Police Department admit no wrongdoing whatsoever and have already progressively responded to sexual assault and gender issues in its business.

So what does the Missoulian report? That Missoula has "agreed to reform police response to sexual assault." Nothing of the sort has occured. In fact in 24 pages the word "reform" never appears.

Don't go away mad, Gwen. Just Go.

Oh no, the Missoulian's award-winning star reporter is leaving! Oh how can they possibly ever recover from that?

I read the headlines of the Missoulian on-line but decided to not subscribe until she-who-shall-not-be-named was gone. Looks like they'll have a new subscriber pretty soon.

I'm glad to see Gwen heading on to other things as I took big issue with what I believed was some extreme bias in much of her reporting. Even until the end we saw news articles from her that cherry picked information and twisted them to fit an ongoing agenda in her reports. I noticed on her tweets during the Johnson Trial, especially when following the #JohnsonTrial hashtag updates one would see her reports of in-trial comments compared to those that her counterparts would vary widely in information shared. Especially when she would tweet from the @Missoulian account. The comments from her vs those from the Kamin, KECI, and KPAX varied, also when Keila Szpaller took over the Missoulian account you'd notice the tweets would suddenly increase, were more descriptive, fit with what others were reporting, and shared information with less bias.

From the ongoing "former football player" reports, the accidental article on Beau Donaldson pleading guilty but typing in the name Jordan Johnson, a single-sided attack on this message board, re-caps that had wrong information filtered in or questionable information that would suddenly vanish, to twisting the words of others to make more appealing headlines... I am glad to see she's leaving.

She never seemed to want to look at the other side of some stories and it really frustrated me to see that it took 6 months and an article from an Oregon reporter to get Pflugrad and O'Day's side of the story. I won't miss the snarky retorts like when she took offense to being asked to change the Jordan Johnson trial reporting hashtag from #UMrape to #JohnsonTrial and other examples on social media that we've seen.

That said while Gwen has become the message board punching bag the issue at hand was that we've had a rough stretch of issues with a few athletes (current and former) getting in trouble. Regardless of who would have reported it the UM Athletic program has been in the paper too much for the wrong reasons. There's been good systems put in place and we see it almost weekly that there are hundreds of athletes doing great things to every one athlete that makes a bad decision. I believe that the athletic department, all of the UM coaches, and 98% of all our athletes recognize and continue to work to be good citizens in our community. There is a gap between what today's student athlete is and what some people in the public perceive them to be and reporting like we've seen of late has not helped. At the end of the day though the bad actions of the very few cast a shadow upon the rest.

Gwen Florio as the reporter or not, all of these stories of late would have been in the front page of the paper and that's not her fault - it's that of those who have created the need to write the article. However her bias in the articles, the lack of follow up or clarification at times, and the refusal to look at all sides of some of these recent stories falls the shoulders of those who reported and wrote it (Gwen) and those who might have had the power to expect a higher standard in non-biased reporting (Sherry Devlin).

I think another thing to point out is that while many of us on here got rightfully pissed about what was being reported with bias there were some that took that anger too far and crossed a line with their words here. Even as someone who took big issue with her bias I believe Gwen did not and still does not deserve some of the threatening or sexually aggressive comments made towards her. Much like all of the good kids in the UM athletic department there is some guilt by association cast upon all of us because of the comments made by a select few.

I, for one, am looking forward to HOPEFULLY reading far less about athletic department arrests/charges/claims due to them not happening. I am also looking forward to the articles from other reporters at the Missoulian who I believe have covered issues with much less bias like Jenna Cederberg, Keila Szpaller, and Martin Kidson to name a few.

Never read any of her articles, don't know if she blew the whistle on any Griz activities that wouldn't have been exposed otherwise...either way Griz football program will come out a lot stronger than it was before.

One problem stemming from Gwen's biased reporting is that her articles were often picked up by the other papers in the state like the Billings Gazette. This helped soil the Griz reputation well outside of Missoula more than it should have been.

Blgs Griz Fan said:
One problem stemming from Gwen's biased reporting is that her articles were often picked up by the other papers in the state like the Billings Gazette. This helped soil the Griz reputation well outside of Missoula more than it should have been.

This is a major concern with all papers these days. They just regurgitate. Back in the day, you could get a number of different takes on the same issue. When Seattle had both the Times and the PI, it was awesome because you could read articles about the same incident/topic/whatever, and sometimes come away with completely different information or viewpoints. Now, papers can't afford staff, so they just yack up what someone else wrote. Hairball reporting.

2nd best news in 2 years on EGRIZ!!! Cheers to this and you all with the Big Sky IPA, I just cracked open, in honor of this. The best news was JJ being found not guilty.

Note to Gwen, change your name for whatever you publication. Even with any writing talent, very few in Montana will buy your work. Here is to hoping the Missoulian restores ethics and honesty again.

Maybe we can all publicly spin and trash her novel like she did to Egriz and the football program. Funny, I don't recall her ever trying to slap around Royce.

The reporter is leaving, but the paper is still here.

The Missoulian is responsible for the actions, biases, errors and/or misrepresentations of its reporters. It's the editor's job to make sure that reporters get the facts right and aren't unduly swayed by their biases and emotions. Unfortunately, the Missoulian has chosen to sensationalize rather than report.

It's a sign of the times. Journalism as we knew it is dead. The aim of the paper is to titillate, not to inform. I get no satisfaction from a reporter's departure, knowing full well that the paper will deliver more of the same in the days and weeks to come.

Dmontanagrizzlies said:
Maybe we can all publicly spin and trash her novel like she did to Egriz and the football program. Funny, I don't recall her ever trying to slap around Royce.

I can't WAIT to leave a review on Amazon.

Oh, and I think she trashed the UM administration plenty. She was an equal opportunity trash slinger.

Back