• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Nice win, but some questions...

GrizMania

It was great to see the Griz run at will during the 1st half and dominate SacState.
Even better was the goose-egg the D put up.

I do have to ask something: Why not take out players like Ochs, Hillard and Green with 6 minutes(or even earlier for that matter).

We had the same question. What in the world was Ochs doing still in the game right up 'til the end, especially considering weather and field condtions? Makes NO sense to me at all!

But ... I am real happy with the win. Now back to WG stadium and a win over EWU (who, by the way, I thank for having beaten the 'Cats today).

Same ? at our gig, what the hell is our number 1 QB doing in this game till the end? It makes absolutley(lots of Glacier beer at this point) no sense.

Same here, I was expecting the subs to be deployed in half way in the 3rd. :roll: But I'm no expert, just an observation.

Same with us!

The only thought I had was that the conditions were so bad, the players in the game knew what it was like and had figured out what they could and couldn't do, where if someone new came in they would run the risk of turnovers, injuries ect.

It got to the point that every time Ochs would fumble, I didn't care so much if he got the ball, I just wanted to see him get up!

Maybe someone could ask the coaches if they get a chance. I'm sure there was a reason.

PolsonGrizFan said:
Same here, I was expecting the subs to be deployed in half way in the 3rd. :roll: But I'm no expert, just an observation.

I'm sure that someone will ask Bobby about this topic in the Monday radio show. Let's see what he answers.

I am very impressed with Ochs and know he is our #1, but I have been hoping that we get our #2 quarterback some game experience and confidence. I remember years past (1994, 1998, and 2000) when our QB was injured and our #2 quarterback did his best but fell short. We must have depth at every position, and we are learning that (bitter) lesson again this year (Ciche Pitcher, Vernon Smith, Garth Enger etc.)

Here is a peculiar comment from the Sacramento paper today:

Down 26-0 after little more than a quarter, Sac State's defense held Montana (8-2, 4-1) scoreless for the final 41 minutes.
This, Mooshagian claims, despite the fact that the Grizzlies were trying to run up the score. Colorado transfer quarterback Craig Ochs played the entire game and was still passing late. At the end of the third quarter, punter Tyson Johnson ran an oddly timed fake for 20 yards.
"I'm a firm believer that what comes around goes around, and I'll be coaching a long time," Mooshagian said. "There will be another day."

Mooshagian is crying about us, after the beatings they took against Montana State and other teams?

Go Griz!

Ditto. Maybe Disney still isn't 100% and they didn't want to risk it on lousy footing?

I believe it is because they didn't want to risk Disney's ankle to be reaggrivated playing out in the mud. A bad slip in the mud could do in Disney's ankle for the rest of the season.

Plus, I think they wanted to run some passing plays and the coaches do not have confidence in Hartman's passing. Thus, they kept Ochs in the game.

Other than that, I am kind of questioning why they didn't take Ochs out.

I was at the game and thought Ochs should have been pulled half way through the second quarter. The D played great. That pissed me off. I think Waller should have been in earlier too. Who cares at that point if it's 3 and out.

<sarcasm> Sure, pull your starters in the second quarter. Then try to explain to all the 'experts' why you lost a game to a woeful team you had down 26-0.</sarcasm>

<sarcasm> Sure, pull your starters in the second quarter. Then try to explain to all the 'experts' why you lost a game to a woeful team you had down 26-0.</sarcasm>

Where did you get that from? I said Ochs, and maybe put in Waller earlier. They weren't moving the ball at all, they sure weren't going to rip off 26 unanswered points in that weather. I don't think we should have sat all the starters, just our star QB with the game out of reach in bad weather? <sarcasm> Of course we shouldn't be worried about injuries, especially Ochs, we haven't had any injuries this year.<sarcasm>

Far be it from me to interrupt your little pissy fit :eek: , but I think Bobby’s decision to keep the same offence on the field accomplished everything and more than he expected it would.

1. They may not have scored on every drive as they did in the first quarter, but they did a great job of controlling the ball under less than desirable weather and field conditions.
2. They ran the clock and set up a rested defense to do the outstanding job of not allowing Sac State inside the red zone let alone score.
3. We got a chance to try a few trick plays that may come in handy in the future.
4. They showed cohesiveness and a single mindedness under the most trying conditions, which I am sure, will pay off, in our remaining games. Nothing builds confidence, toughness, and team spirit like suffering through hard times together.

This team, coaches and players alike, are the real deal. We’re lucky to have each and every one of them.

See you in Chattanooga.

CaliGriz said:
They weren't moving the ball at all, they sure weren't going to rip off 26 unanswered points in that weather.

Two years ago the Griz lead 38-0 over Northern Arizona in the third quarter. Northern Arizona hadn't accomplished squat to that point. Then, a John Edwards fumble was returned for a Northern Arizona score and the Griz had to hold on for dear life to win.

A 26-0 lead could evaporate quickly in that slop. Would anyone feel comfortable with a 26-7 second-quarter lead and a Sac State onside kick following a Sac State score? The stats say the Griz fumbled the ball SEVEN times in last night's game and recovered all but one. I say Bobby Hauck knows what he's doing with substitutions.

Two years ago the Griz lead 38-0 over Northern Arizona in the third quarter. Northern Arizona hadn't accomplished squat to that point.

GrizBear, I'm not totally ruling out what you are saying. I haven't forgotten the second half of NDSU either. I actually go back and forth on this. Have the momentum- keep it, the team is playing well-stick with what's working, playoffs are in sight-there's no time for failure. It was just so lopsided, it was really frusturating to see Ochs at one point, on his back with a 300 pound lineman rolling over him when they were getting crushed. You can't tell me that if Ochs had endured a season ending concussion with the game out of reach, everybody wouldn't have been pissed? So is there ever a time, in your opinion, to pull the starters?

I would have pulled Ochs at the half way mark of the 4th quarter with the score 26 - 0. (Assuming Disney was 100%) I would have pulled more, sooner if we would have been up 33 + at the start of the 4th......It will be interesting to hear what, if anything, is said about this by the coaching staff. I'm sure they had their reasons. It all worked out O.K.

Okay, this is a reach. In Phenicie's interview after the game, he said he wasn't too happy with the offensive execution in the second half. Maybe they wanted the first unit to get another score, which they didn't do, so they just kept them in. They did play a lot of receivers and running backs, plus the defensive rotation means a lot of guys play. But Ochs and the starting O-line went the whole way.

Bear-ly said:
Far be it from me to interrupt your little pissy fit :eek: , but I think Bobby’s decision to keep the same offence on the field accomplished everything and more than he expected it would.

1. They may not have scored on every drive as they did in the first quarter, but they did a great job of controlling the ball under less than desirable weather and field conditions.
2. They ran the clock and set up a rested defense to do the outstanding job of not allowing Sac State inside the red zone let alone score.
3. We got a chance to try a few trick plays that may come in handy in the future.
4. They showed cohesiveness and a single mindedness under the most trying conditions, which I am sure, will pay off, in our remaining games. Nothing builds confidence, toughness, and team spirit like suffering through hard times together.

This team, coaches and players alike, are the real deal. We’re lucky to have each and every one of them.

See you in Chattanooga.

If there ever was a game to get the backups a some time and to rest starters and not expose them to more than necessary this game was it. Sacstate was absolutely no threat. To think otherwise would be paranoid.
Also, what did keeping the starting O accomplish as you claim it did? did they polish up on running in the mud?
Maybe you missed out on the early part of the season when Ochs was hurt. Yeah, lets keep him in every play you never know when that Dangerous Sac State O might come alive(*sarcasm). Give me a break.

I think the coaches read on egriz that one pass = 2 inches of better accuracy and figured Ochs was the starter, and why not let your QB continue to get more and more accurate!!!!!
:wink:

Back