• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

next 4 saturdays for Griz....

Been an interesting year for Griz.....I think the next 4 games will decide the season and here is why:

1. Griz have dominated 5 games and got dominated in another...none of them real close to see if the Griz have what it takes to to find ways to win against playoff type teams...which can in turn win some playoff games. Can we win a close game?...I think a few (if not all) of the next 4 will be close....we are getting into the "grind" of a season now with injuries/travel/etc.

2. Our O-line looks the part, but isn't as consistently dominant as I honestly thought they would be. We struggle more on short yardage than I thought we would. We will play against a defense just as good/quick as NAU's soon....how will they respond? When they are rolling running the ball, we are a top 5 team in nation..period.

3. JJ is solid as we all thought, but I believe everyone will try to stop our run and make him beat us...can he consitently stay healthy/get pass blocking & pick up blitz's/have recievers produce/call the right plays/etc. to do it? We have a stud in Henderson....been disappointed with consitenstency in other WR, but our TE's have produced way more than expected coming in to season. I love our physical style but I hope Kefense/Gragg keep being creative & aggressive with a screen/reverse/pistol option stuff to keep a defense honest at the right time...at least a screen was seen last saturday and it worked.

4. My biggest concern on defense is scheme/tackling. Can we tackle consistently against a good team? Cal Poly and EWU will test that (as we saw with NAU/PSU). When we don't get "out schemed/coached" and Ty mixes it up, we are solid with the talent we have. The one thing Ty/defensive staff/players has really improved is getting turnovers this year......same for the offense the other way (JJ obviously helps).

5. Are we going to have another let down road game against either Sac St or South Dakota? We could lose either one if we play like we did at NAU...SD is getting better.

6. I think our coverage teams are better than last year on special teams....can we cause a turnover on these?.......one young kicker has to step up soon and be consistent....doesn't mean he will make every field goal as some expect...just more consistent 40 and in........in Worst's defense both those were outside of that last week...actually glad he missed a few to see how a true freshman kicker will respond. This could decide one of the next 4 games. Would love to see a punt/kickoff return give the team a boost in one of these games

7. I'm glad Mick and the staff have hung in there through the last few years (we are disciplined on/off field if you want to play which I love as an alum), but I want to see them go toe-to-toe with some team of close to equal talent like EWU and beat them....let's not get out coached/schemed by them...find ways to win.

Simply put, can we run the ball on O consistently and tackle on defense consistently on D the next 4 games....finding ways to win in tough games down the stretch....

If we go 4-0, we win playoff games; 3-1 we are respectable, but not sure what we do in playoffs; 2-2 we are in trouble to even make playoffs and probably wouldn't do anything in them any way; 1-3 or worse and we need to go in a new direction with staff (unless their are major injuries everywhere to JJ/Trip/etc.)

Your thoughts?

my thought is... what happened to brady? i heard he was in hysham, but no one i talked to had any contact info.

Lots of stuff there. We're currently 5-1 needing at least 3 wins to be considered for a playoff spot. This week cal poly will be a good test to see if we can execute at a high level. Cal poly runs a pretty standard 4-3 cover 2 and does it fairly well. The offense will need to do one thing......move the chains. Keep they're defense on the field. Run away from #94 cuz he's a beast. I think if our offense executes well and keeps Jordy upright the play action will pay off. I predict we need to run for at least 200 yds to be comfortable. On defense the players will need to be patient and do there 1/11th. cal poly's option requires a man on man response and each guy will need to man up. Gap control, stop the run and make them pass. This will be a very competitive game but I'm not sure cal poly can put up enough points. There's one win we will need. ewu who knows, sac state?, south dakota we should win, weber we should win(there is the 3rd win to make the play offs). msu has way to many variables and way to far off. Just guessing I think we will go 5-1 to end the season 10-2. With 2 losses I don't think we can win the conference.

Looking at the next 3 games there's good opportunities and challenges.

CPSLO - scary rushing attack, defense isn't bad but allows almost 400 yards/game, on it's 3rd starting QB.

EWU - scary offense, incredible QB, porous defense - especially on the road

Sac - getting better, really bad defense (statistically)

These next three weeks will really test our defense, three fairly different offenses but all three are scoring quite a bit of late. Our offense should (in theory) move the ball on all three of these teams, but stopping them should be key.

Totally agree, the Griz will score on all three of those teams. Depends on which defense comes to play. I refuse to be scared of Sac. State though. Southern Oregon has losses to Rocky and UM-Western and the Raiders SHOULD have beaten Sac. I don't care how much better the Hornets get, the Griz have no excuses in that one.

point 4 is the key
most of us agree that it will be on the defense to consummate the wins.
ty will need to have his squad truly focused out there....not showing any confusion or mental laspe on assignments.
vernon will need to challenged and i hope ty makes that happen....you give him time and he will burn you with the run and giving his receivers more time will put the pressure on our corners and safties.....and that could be at our risk.
i think we will blow by cp and sac state, in other words get the lead and do not give it up.
ew is a concern they will come with another level of play to catapult them into the playoffs for home team advantange, they will know this is their pivotal game for post season positioning.
meeting the goal to win the next 3 games as is the focus on this thread, the last 3 games will not obstruct us to be in post season play due to the teams we play....msu????? not a given either way...toss up.

I like your post and well thought out,,,,the one thing that you pointed out that I think is so simple is TACKLING....we need to do better and more consistent....imo

Having MSU at home, EWUs only "potential" loss would be to the Griz. If the Griz lose to EWU, it will be very, very hard to win the conference. Just can't overlook anyone though.

krammer said:
I like your post and well thought out,,,,the one thing that you pointed out that I think is so simple is TACKLING....we need to do better and more consistent....imo
Especially open field tackling by the defensive backs. Personally I think the defense is gonna play lights out. I hope to see just a bit of Brekke out there. :thumb:

BWahlberg said:
CPSLO - scary rushing attack, defense isn't bad but allows almost 400 yards/game, on it's 3rd starting QB.
One thing you have to look at when you look at stats is who the were against. While Cal Poly's D is giving up almost 400 yards a game they played some good offensive teams. They held FBD #17 ranked Fresno State to a season low 370 yards. They have only given up over 400 twice. Once to FBS Colorado State and 487 to Portland State (Griz gave up 511 to PSU).

SloStang said:
BWahlberg said:
One thing you have to look at when you look at stats is who the were against. While Cal Poly's D is giving up almost 400 yards a game they played some good offensive teams. They held FBD #17 ranked Fresno State to a season low 370 yards. They have only given up over 400 twice. Once to FBS Colorado State and 487 to Portland State (Griz gave up 511 to PSU).

SloStang,
I think last week fans were giving UC Davis too much credit and this we (Griz fans) are not giving Cal Poly enough credit. Some posters thought Davis might give the Griz a tough game but this week it seems there is a bit of overconfidence. All I know is almost every Montana/Cal Poly game I've seen has been competitive.

SloStang said:
(Griz gave up 511 to PSU).
Well, we held them to only 27 points, and 7 points and 75 yards for that was a garbage time TD when our scrubs were in. Our 2s giving up a TD and 100 or so yards in the final quarter isn't that bad.

Statistically our D is the hardest to score on in the conference.

uofmman1122 said:
SloStang said:
Well, we held them to only 27 points, and 7 points and 75 yards for that was a garbage time TD when our scrubs were in. Our 2s giving up a TD and 100 or so yards in the final quarter isn't that bad.

We also played them on the road. My point is you need to dig in and look at who each team has played when looking at the Stats. Big difference between Fresno State and a DII team.

SloStang said:
uofmman1122 said:
SloStang said:

We also played them on the road. My point is you need to dig in and look at who each team has played when looking at the Stats. Big difference between Fresno State and a DII team.

CDA...

I agree that this is a good post. I think that the Griz just need to keep their heads on straight and take one game at a time. The battle for the BSC title will be a war and the Griz will be in the mix. The good thing is that the CPSLO and EWU games are at home. The Griz can't lose those two games IMO.

bigkid said:
krammer said:
Especially open field tackling by the defensive backs. Personally I think the defense is gonna play lights out. I hope to see just a bit of Brekke out there. :thumb:
He plays for the cats........ :?

SloStang said:
uofmman1122 said:
SloStang said:

We could bring up the fact that you lost to Yale. :coffee:

Latest posts

Back