• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New Mexico State.. Big Sky or drop football?

MrTitleist

Staff member
Appears their president has had conversations with the Big Sky about bringing football down.
http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-news/ci_23123757/carruthers-tells-forum-participants-hes-open-dropping-football" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MrTitleist said:
Appears their president has had conversations with the Big Sky about bringing football down.
http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-news/ci_23123757/carruthers-tells-forum-participants-hes-open-dropping-football" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Big Sky is Idaho, New Mexico State, North Dakota State, and South Dakota short of having enough to form their own division. Jaysus.

AZGrizFan said:
EverettGriz said:
Sadly, my hunch is that they'd drop football before dropping down.

We need another patsie in the BSC like we need a hole in the head. :?
Whoa easy does it there AZ. NMSU would never be a 'patsie' in this conference. Normally I try just to let you guys have your fun over here, but that comment was a bit too much. Having lived down there for 6 years and seeing several of their games, I would say the BSC is a pretty good fit. I would also say they would be one of the top teams in the conference year in and year out. The bad news for you guys would be that your mighty stadium would now be second fiddle to these guys who currently sit just over 30k:
aerial.jpg

ABQCat said:
AZGrizFan said:
EverettGriz said:

Whoa easy does it there AZ. NMSU would never be a 'patsie' in this conference. Normally I try just to let you guys have your fun over here, but that comment was a bit too much. Having lived down there for 6 years and seeing several of their games, I would say the BSC is a pretty good fit. I would also say they would be one of the top teams in the conference year in and year out. The bad news for you guys would be that your mighty stadium would now be second fiddle to these guys who currently sit just over 30k:
aerial.jpg

But is it cold & loud???

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

This Carruthers guy, if I read correctly, is not the president of NMSU. He's just one of five candidates and I'm guessing he's already sunk his own ship with alumni and supporters who'd rather eat snakes and grasshoppers before (1 dropping football, or (2 joining an inferior BSC. This is a non-starter... NMSU's version of Ol' Royce - and you know how UM alumni and supporters feel about him... ;) NMSU is not going to be the first D-1 school to drop from FBS to FCS, which would be tantamount to returning to the sandbox.

he is now...

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=242&f=2377&t=11521272" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I love how the author has to explain that the Big Sky Conference is "a league in the football championship subdivision." Sheesh! Never mind the other the sports in which NMSU and Big Sky schools might actually compete now.

ABQCat said:
AZGrizFan said:
EverettGriz said:

aerial.jpg

Only if the Aggies' fans turn out for FCS football.

GrizMusician said:
ABQCat said:
AZGrizFan said:
EverettGriz said:

aerial.jpg

But is it cold & loud???

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Portland State plays in a big stadium too. Doesn't do any good if it's empty. But yes, I was joking.

Kind of. :cool:

I say add em if we can. Especially if Fullerton has ideas and plans of possible FBS for BSC. I think Fullerton is gunning for this change now and he has support of the BSC Schools. Why would he even talk to NMSU if he was not looking at a grander picture. I think NMSU would be a good addition to the BSC especially if it gave them a home and new there football program would remain FBS. I have never really got a great feel for Fullerton but I hope he can make this happen. Get all 4 Dakota schools and UI back in for football and I like it!

OrgonGriz said:
I say add em if we can. Especially if Fullerton has ideas and plans of possible FBS for BSC. I think Fullerton is gunning for this change now and he has support of the BSC Schools. Why would he even talk to NMSU if he was not looking at a grander picture. I think NMSU would be a good addition to the BSC especially if it gave them a home and new there football program would remain FBS. I have never really got a great feel for Fullerton but I hope he can make this happen. Get all 4 Dakota schools and UI back in for football and I like it!

If we're going to get UI and the four Dakota schools, why not just all move up to the WAC? :cool:

Could the following even work as an FBS conference? Call it the Mountain Pacific Conference, or whatever the hell you want. Obviously, there would be a ton of facilities improvements required (ISU and others) and we'd be losing UNCU, Sac and PSU.

North
MSU
UM
NDSU
UND
SDSU
USD
EWU
Wyoming

South
NMSU
NAU
UI
ISU
Cal Poly
UCD
SUU
Weber

7 games within your division each year + 2 from the other division. 2-3 non-conference games, plus conference championship (assuming FBS). Any chance that Wyoming would jump? Gives a chance for the Griz/Vandal rivalry to pick back up. Like I said, I just pulled the schools that were interesting to me and ran with it.

NMSU would be a great addition to the Sky, but I doubt it will happen.

But they could also be another Sac orPSU - big stadium (Sac holds almost 22k, PSU just under that), but no fan support. NMSU had pathetic attendance last year (under 15k a game, and that includes over 25K for New Mexico), and if they flailed in the Sky, which they most certainly could, attendance would get even worse for them.

If NMSU joins the Sky and becomes a winner, they could get close to 18k a game I'd imagine. If they tank, they'll be the next PSU.

CatsAttack said:
Could the following even work as an FBS conference? Call it the Mountain Pacific Conference, or whatever the hell you want. Obviously, there would be a ton of facilities improvements required (ISU and others) and we'd be losing UNCU, Sac and PSU.

North
MSU
UM
NDSU
UND
SDSU
USD
EWU
Wyoming

South
NMSU
NAU
UI
ISU
Cal Poly
UCD
SUU
Weber

Ain't no way a team is leaving the MWC for this.

kemajic said:
How NMSU led Waded Cruzado get away is beyond me....

I almost forget she was from NMSU. Seriously, if they would have hired her NMSU would be looking up for football. She has done more in her short time here than anyone in a long time at MSU, and not just from a football standpoint.

CatzWillRise said:
kemajic said:
How NMSU led Waded Cruzado get away is beyond me....

I almost forget she was from NMSU. Seriously, if they would have hired her NMSU would be looking up for football. She has done more in her short time here than anyone in a long time at MSU, and not just from a football standpoint.

We will trade you straight across. Waded for Royce. We would have thrown in Duringer too, but he is already gone.

Latest posts

Back