• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New Mexico looking for BB coach

billings_poke

they lost Alford to UCLA

you guys ever worry about losing Tinkle? seems a MWC or maybe a PAC job would be a good next step for him. New Mexico pays the BB coach a bit over 1.2 million a year and has a 22,000 seat arena they fill

PLEASE New Mexico, take Tinkle off our hands! Since NM is so content with winning their conference and getting embarrassed in the first round of the NCAAs, this seems like the perfect match.

Griz Nation has gotten very complacent with mediocre coaches with one dimensional game plans that are good enough to win a very weak and watered down Big Sky, but simply can't compete out of conference.

Bobcatmaniac said:
Hey I will trade you Huse for Tinkle...

From what I've read, you guys are going to be stuck with Huse for a while longer :(

JGriz77 said:
PLEASE New Mexico, take Tinkle off our hands! Since NM is so content with winning their conference and getting embarrassed in the first round of the NCAAs, this seems like the perfect match.

Griz Nation has gotten very complacent with mediocre coaches with one dimensional game plans that are good enough to win a very weak and watered down Big Sky, but simply can't compete out of conference.

We competed just fine against New Mexico in the tournament a few years ago. We competed just fine against Davidson, South Dakota State, and Colorado State this year.. You basing your opinion of Tinkle on one game is pretty pathetic, and shows a major lack of understanding of basketball and really about sports in general. Sometimes the shots just don't fall...yeah it sucks when it's on the big stage like that, but it happens. Would you say Coach K from Duke is a shitty coach too because he got blown out last year by 20+ points against Ohio State, then lost to a 15 seed in the first round of the tournament? That's 2 games where Duke didn't play well....man he must suck!

Yes, the Griz came out and played like complete shit in that game. Yes, it was a very very bad loss. As I've pointed out before (and I'm sure I'll have to point it out again for some with thick heads), sometimes good teams play like shit. Look at the 2005-2006 season when we started things out getting blown out by Boise State, and got blown out by Idaho State. Ended up defeating Nevada in the NCAA tournament that year.

You are in the very tiny minority of Griz BB fans who wants Tinkle gone.

Nah. The Griz would probably get another former player with no coaching experience to come take over the program, knowing the incestuous culture of good-ol-boy-ism. What's Darren Engellent up to these days?

JGriz77 said:

Tinkle put together the right game plan to attack Syracuse. By the way, open your eyes!!! The Syracuse Defense has also given Cal, Indiana, and now Marquette fits in this tournament. That defense has dominated every team they have played. If you know how to beat that defense all the named programs sure would pay good money to know.

It really makes sense to want the only coach in GRIZ history to get to the big dance 3 of 4 years and set multiple BSC team records gone. Go be a fan of any team but the GRIZ!

I'm pretty sure you did a poll on who wants Tinkle gone or not. Regardless, I don't care what the ratio is. What I do know is that the Griz have been absolutely embarrassed two years in a row on national television, and Tinkle's players have played like they have no business even being there. Tinkle gets out-coached badly once he's up against his peers from bigger conferences, and his players are intimidated by more big-time teams.

I have fond memories of Grizzly Basketball past, and you can have Tinkle and his one-dimensional teams that plod along offensively and get destroyed by any team that is outside of the insular congregation of weakling Big Sky teams. This culture of sticking with your own and hiring mediocre talent from within the program is a cancer to the whole athletic department, and Grizzly sports will never grow any more than it already has as long as that's the case.

JGriz77 said:
I'm pretty sure you did a poll on who wants Tinkle gone or not. Regardless, I don't care what the ratio is. What I do know is that the Griz have been absolutely embarrassed two years in a row on national television, and Tinkle's players have played like they have no business even being there. Tinkle gets out-coached badly once he's up against his peers from bigger conferences, and his players are intimidated by more big-time teams.

I have fond memories of Grizzly Basketball past, and you can have Tinkle and his one-dimensional teams that plod along offensively and get destroyed by any team that is outside of the insular congregation of weakling Big Sky teams. This culture of sticking with your own and hiring mediocre talent from within the program is a cancer to the whole athletic department, and Grizzly sports will never grow any more than it already has as long as that's the case.
You are looking like a fool. Please go away.

By looking at the date of membership here, I think mr 1000 screen names is back!!! How long before this new screen name is banned?

Mediocrity has become the name of the game in Grizzly sports. Part of me wonders if any of you can remember any further back than 2002. There was a time when Griz Nation wasn't complacent with mediocrity. Now the football program has sunken to its lowest in a generation and the basketball program has "peaked" at mediocrity by dominating the weakest conference in college basketball, but gets embarrassed against real competition.

You all wanted to be the big fish in a small pond. Guess what, you're just another fish now. Mediocrity, complacency, and arrogance have eaten away the vigor and taken away the hunger that made this program what it is. Now the greatness is gone, and the sugar coating yes men come out like a bunch of rabid wolves at the very mention of such things to protect something that isn't even there.

When the Wayne Tinkle-led Griz are considered the height of success by Griz Nation, we've lost something. This Griz team would be destroyed by the great Griz teams of the past. They rule over an empire of dead and declining Big Sky programs that are bottom of the barrel. It's embarrassing. Montana sits idle and is being passed by by its peers. Enjoy!

This is only the second screen name I've had in here. The first is inactive because I haven't used it in so long. Sometimes people need to hear the truth, even if they don't want to hear it.

mtgrizrule said:
By looking at the date of membership here, I think mr 1000 screen names is back!!! How long before this new screen name is banned?
Are you referring to mr. pickle??? ;)

GrizWhiz said:
mtgrizrule said:
Are you referring to mr. pickle??? ;)

Or his alter personality? No way 2 entirely different people can be so alike.

The bottom line is the most Griz basketball can ever aspire to under Wayne is Pig Sty Champs and first round demolition in the Big Dance. YAY for that! Go Griz!

Tinkle put together the right game plan to attack Syracuse.

Ummm, I don't think Syracuse felt very attacked. If Tinkle had the "right" game plan, the Griz wouldn't have been crushed by 50 points. The sad thing is that the score of the game was actually closer than the game really was. Tinkle is like the Bobby Hauck of basketball. He squeaks by against weak competition (and YES the Big Sky is as weak as it's ever been), winning with a plodding offense and lacks creativity in game planning. Then he gets out-coached and embarrassed by real competition.

This Griz team would be destroyed by the championship Griz teams of the past, and would be a middle of the pack team if it competed in the Big Sky 15 or 20 years ago.

JGriz77 said:
Tinkle put together the right game plan to attack Syracuse.

Ummm, I don't think Syracuse felt very attacked. If Tinkle had the "right" game plan, the Griz wouldn't have been crushed by 50 points. The sad thing is that the score of the game was actually closer than the game really was. Tinkle is like the Bobby Hauck of basketball. He squeaks by against weak competition (and YES the Big Sky is as weak as it's ever been), winning with a plodding offense and lacks creativity in game planning. Then he gets out-coached and embarrassed by real competition.

This Griz team would be destroyed by the championship Griz teams of the past, and would be a middle of the pack team if it competed in the Big Sky 15 or 20 years ago.

Strategically they had the right plan. How many coaches have we heard say, you have start attacking it from around the FT line? That is exactly where the GRIZ started to attack it. It is not Wayne's fault players were missing shots, fumbling every pass, and making bad decisions. I will take Tinkle any day to be our coach, just like I will take your ass being banned again, or not coming back here.

Have I personally attacked you, or anyone else here? No. I have merely stated my opinion about the state of Grizzly basketball. So let's ban me for that?

The strategy didn't work because it was predictable. Syracuse shut down Tinkle and his one dimensional game plan with ease. Players were not mentally prepared to play, and it showed. At least Krystkowiak had his team ready to play in the tourney and the Griz got a win. If Tinkle had coached that 2006 team, they would most certainly have been spanked by Nevada.

Unfortunately, it appears that your sort of mentality is the prevailing one in Griz nation. Ban naysayers because they see things differently, and feeling warm and cozy in your cocoon of status quo of mediocrity. Griz Nation continues it's decline while being passed by by other programs, and the automatons continue to voice their approval. It's quite sad, actually.

JGriz77 said:
Have I personally attacked you, or anyone else here? No. I have merely stated my opinion about the state of Grizzly basketball. So let's ban me for that?

The strategy didn't work because it was predictable. Syracuse shut down Tinkle and his one dimensional game plan with ease. Players were not mentally prepared to play, and it showed. At least Krystkowiak had his team ready to play in the tourney and the Griz got a win. If Tinkle had coached that 2006 team, they would most certainly have been spanked by Nevada.

Unfortunately, it appears that your sort of mentality is the prevailing one in Griz nation. Ban naysayers because they see things differently, and feeling warm and cozy in your cocoon of status quo of mediocrity. Griz Nation continues it's decline while being passed by by other programs, and the automatons continue to voice their approval. It's quite sad, actually.

Not saying you should be banned for what you are posting on Tinkle or basketball. You are one of 2 posters. Poster 1 always manages to be banned for one thing or the other. Poster 2 only frequents the site after a bad loss, then when things get better, he disappears.

Either way, it will be a matter of time before you are gone for whatever reason.

JGriz77 said:

OK, I'll bite just this once, troll. Have you even paid attention to Griz basketball in the last decade? Tinkle has taken over a program that, was still being rebuilt. Coach K did well with what he had in beating a very over-rated Nevada team in the tournament. But how can you call the success that Tinkle has built complacency? Your a complete idiot if you think that, he has increased the talent pool that the griz have steadily each year, and has turned the Griz from a marginal sky team into a dominant player in this conference we are stuck in. If you want to complain about anything, complain about how watered down the conference is, Tinkle is not the problem.

Wayne is close to the lowest paid D1 coach out there...$122k. Huge step up in pay and conference and he could stay out west. Could be a good move for him

Back