• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New Defensive Strategy?

JayLarson

Sure looked like it yesterday, lots of blitzes especially on 3rd down, some nickel packages, I liked what I saw. Kantangota'a is really good on the blitz, always has been nice seeing him not giving away when he was on the blitz like he did vs NAU. But the Griz were sending 5 and 6 guys yesterday, I hope that this continues. Both Tully and Hermanson played great yesterday, I don't think I saw either one of them wiff on a tackle, Hermy had one that if he had missed Davis would have got a TD. If they can tackle consistently in the secondary, this blitzing is going to work out nicely, because our db's have about half the time that they will have to cover. Hope Ty sticks with it the rest of the season.

I came in late and noticed Tonga Takai was absent. Injured? He is a pivotal player stopping the run and will be needed against poly.

bigkid said:
I came in late and noticed Tonga Takai was absent. Injured? He is a pivotal player stopping the run and will be needed against poly.

Hurt his ankle, walked off on his own. The sideline reports said he may return but he didn't.

JayLarson said:
Sure looked like it yesterday, lots of blitzes especially on 3rd down, some nickel packages, I liked what I saw. Kantangota'a is really good on the blitz, always has been nice seeing him not giving away when he was on the blitz like he did vs NAU. But the Griz were sending 5 and 6 guys yesterday, I hope that this continues. Both Tully and Hermanson played great yesterday, I don't think I saw either one of them wiff on a tackle, Hermy had one that if he had missed Davis would have got a TD. If they can tackle consistently in the secondary, this blitzing is going to work out nicely, because our db's have about half the time that they will have to cover. Hope Ty sticks with it the rest of the season.
I think most of it is because he was a very immobile qb who showed almost immediately he couldn't handle pressure..
Attack their weakness..

I loved the defensive changes as well. However, keep in mind it is safer strategy going against a running team. It is just a matter of guessing where they are most likely to be running. Couple that with a qb who is not much of running threat, and the plan makes sense. I would love to see more nickel packages against better passing teams.

We shall see if Ty continues the blitzes against everyone. I have a feeling it will be based on matchups and tendencies.

mtgrizrule said:
I loved the defensive changes as well. However, keep in mind it is safer strategy going against a running team. It is just a matter of guessing where they are most likely to be running. Couple that with a qb who is not much of running threat, and the plan makes sense. I would love to see more nickel packages against better passing teams.

We shall see if Ty continues the blitzes against everyone. I have a feeling it will be based on matchups and tendencies.

I would bet we do not blitz ewu much and rely on assignment football with our front four to get whatever pressure we can....I think that qb would be a whole different story than yesterday.....

krammer said:
mtgrizrule said:

I would bet we do not blitz ewu much and rely on assignment football with our front four to get whatever pressure we can....I think that qb would be a whole different story than yesterday.....

If we dont blitz Ewo they might have a chance to beat us because they will catch the jump balls that Adams throws up continually. We need to take him out of the game and make somebody else beat us. Blitz him, hit him, knock him down even it it results in a few penalties along the way pound him and if he beats us hats off to him.

They have nothing else, just ask UND and UND is soft but they out physicalled Ewu all day long

It was a different defensive scheme because we were playing a different team. This time it worked. Schemes are changed weekly to match who you are playing. You didn't see much blitzing or pressure against NAU because we were trying to stop Bauman. Unfortunately we were not able to do that and everything else went to hell. Portland St we went man to man on their big wide receiver and basically zoned everything else. Obviously our coaches felt we could bring some heat from our linebackers against Davis and get their qb rattled and it worked. I agree with alpha that we will need to blitz Adams in two weeks and we need to disguise what we are doing. We can't give him time or he can tear us apart. I am sure we will see some different things next weekend against cal poly. Hopefully they scheme right and it works. If not, then it will come down to adjustments.

Cal Poly being an option team obviously will require a different scheme, and it will require some good tackling.

JayLarson said:
Cal Poly being an option team obviously will require a different scheme, and it will require some good tackling.

Defending an option team is a lot like your honeymoon night, your biggest priority is filling the assigned gap.

Coach Bob Green

Ursa Major said:
JayLarson said:

Defending an option team is a lot your honeymoon night, your biggest priority is filling the assigned gap.

Coach Bob Green

:lol:

Agree with the premise though, discipline is everything against option teams.

There should be a new defensive strategy every game. Even the best defenses in the country switch things up based on who they are playing. Teams that stick to the same thing every week are much easier to prepare for. Teams that blitz the same positions every week are even easier to prepare for. Mixing it up is beneficial and it is fun for the players if it's done the right way.

Back