• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New criteria for playoff selection.

mtgrizzly

DONOR
Looks like they are going to use a new rating system to determine playoff selection.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/403617/group/Sports/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the link. I guess Okie PH State may not hurt us after all. Personally, I would like to see the D2 games go away. Oh boy - now I am starting to sound like Nick Saban. Wish I got paid like he did.

Copper Griz said:
Thanks for the link. I guess Okie PH State may not hurt us after all. Personally, I would like to see the D2 games go away. Oh boy - now I am starting to sound like Nick Saban. Wish I got paid like he did.

Well if we don't want our D-II game to hurt us we had better schedule stronger D-II games than Panhandle State.

I honestly don't think this changes anything.

I mean, it may "count" now, but I can't imagine the selection committee still won't hold it against teams come selection time.

Let's say we go 7-5 this year, and the last at large spot is between us and two teams that are from power conferences that also went 7-5, but without a D2 game, and one even has an FBS game. I doubt we get in in that situation, which is exactly how it's been until now, anyways.

uofmman1122 said:
I honestly don't think this changes anything.

I mean, it may "count" now, but I can't imagine the selection committee still won't hold it against teams come selection time.

Let's say we go 7-5 this year, and the last at large spot is between us and two teams that are from power conferences that also went 7-5, but without a D2 game, and one even has an FBS game. I doubt we get in in that situation, which is exactly how it's been until now, anyways.
Precisely.

I still haven't seen that they have removed the clause that says "preference will be given to teams that play an all DI schedule"

I think that this will be used more for teams that look about even on everything else, in other words if 2 teams have the same record and have a DII game on their schedule but one played a DII doormat and the other played a DII playoff contender then the one that played the playoff contender would get the selection. presuming of course that both teams won their DII games.

Also playing well against a highly ranked FBS team would give preference over a team that played well against poor FBS team

Cats2506 said:
I still haven't seen that they have removed the clause that says "preference will be given to teams that play an all DI schedule"

I think that this will be used more for teams that look about even on everything else, in other words if 2 teams have the same record and have a DII game on their schedule but one played a DII doormat and the other played a DII playoff contender then the one that played the playoff contender would get the selection. presuming of course that both teams won their DII games.

Also playing well against a highly ranked FBS team would give preference over a team that played well against poor FBS team

There is no such preference for teams that play all DI games. You have never understood the requirement. The criteria says, or has said: "... less than seven Division I wins 'may' place a team in jeopardy of not being selected." Note the "may".

I like the strength of schedule criteria. That will help keep teams like South Carolina St (with strong records) from getting in over power conference teams like UM, with 4 or so losses.

I wonder how a 25 point loss to a decent FBS will compare to a good win over a decent D-II.

Cats2506 said:

You are way off base here. If two teams have the same record, their performances against FCS teams are what will be considered. Whether one played a more difficult DII would be the last item on the checklist.

PlayerRep said:
Cats2506 said:

There is no such preference for teams that play all DI games. You have never understood the requirement. The criteria says, or has said: "... less than seven Division I wins 'may' place a team in jeopardy of not being selected." Note the "may".

Wrong again there Tonto;

from the page 11 of the selection handbook; Championship Selection You quote item 3, the clause I was talking about is item 4

At-large teams shall be selected by the Division I football committee, assisted by four
regional advisory committees that serve in an advisory capacity only.
The following principles shall apply when selecting at-large teams:
1. The committee shall select the best teams available on a national at-large basis to
complete the bracket. Per NCAA Bylaw 31, the basic criteria used in the selection
of at-large participants are (1) won-lost record, (2) strength-of-schedule, and (3)
eligibility and availabilitiy of student-athletes for the NCAA championship;
2. There is no limit to the number of teams the committee may select from one
conference;
3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of
schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of
not being selected;
4. The committee may give more consideration to those teams that have played all
Division I opponents; and
5. If the team of a committee member is under consideration, the member may not vote
for the team being considered and will not be in the room when a vote is taken.
6. For those conferences that qualify for automatic qualification but do not receive it,
a guaranteed at-large position shall be awarded in any year in which its conference
champion team meets all of the following conditions:
a. Team wins a minimum of eight Division I games during the season;
b. Team wins a minimum of two non-conference games against Division I teams
representing a conference that has earned an automatic qualification in that year;
and
c. Team finishes the season ranked 20 or higher in an average of the last regularseason
media, coaches and/or computer polls (which will be determined by the
committee on an annual basis). For 2010, the media poll will be the Sports
Network Poll, the coaches poll will be the FCS Coaches poll and the computer
poll will be a variation of the Gridiron Power Index – using only the following
computer rankings: The Massey Ratings, Wolfe Rankings, Ashburn Rankings,
Self Rankings and the Laz Index.

grizfan95 said:
Cats2506 said:

You are way off base here. If two teams have the same record, their performances against FCS teams are what will be considered. Whether one played a more difficult DII would be the last item on the checklist.
Not way off base at all, "about even on everything else" covers the rest of the teams records, including their SOS, and implies that it is the last criteria used.

Glad you could agree with me :thumb:

Cats2506 said:
grizfan95 said:
Cats2506 said:

Not way off base at all, "about even on everything else" covers the rest of the teams records, including their SOS, and implies that it is the last criteria used.

Ah, gotcha. Read a little to quickly there. Although I see your point, I would find it ridiculous if the difference between two teams was the quality of the DII opponents they played. Again, if that is, then those teams probably aren't going far in the playoffs anyways.

If the quality of the DII team played is the determining factor about whether an FCS team makes the playoffs, it's simply one more nail in the FCS coffin.

grizfan95 said:
Cats2506 said:
grizfan95 said:
Cats2506 said:

Ah, gotcha. Read a little to quickly there. Although I see your point, I would find it ridiculous if the difference between two teams was the quality of the DII opponents they played. Again, if that is, then those teams probably aren't going far in the playoffs anyways.

Well we are talking about teams that are on the bubble of making it into the playoffs or not anyway, so yeah I would concur with that too.

EverettGriz said:
If the quality of the DII team played is the determining factor about whether an FCS team makes the playoffs, it's simply one more nail in the FCS coffin.
How so, what we are talking about is a criteria that is used to select probably the 23 and 24 teams to be selected. How does it become a signal for the impending collapse of the FCS which you have been predicting for years now anyway.

Need any more tinfoil there DHiW

Cats2506 said:
EverettGriz said:
How so, what we are talking about is a criteria that is used to select probably the 23 and 24 teams to be selected. How does it become a signal for the impending collapse of the FCS which you have been predicting for years now anyway.

Were those questions??? :lol:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Cats2506 said:
EverettGriz said:

Because it will signal teams like Oklahoma Panhandle and whoevertheeffthelowlyDIIthekittensplaycollege is getting into the playoffs in a matter of a few years. Assuming this division even exists in a few years.

Why do some of you otherwise intelligent people -- and here I'm obviously excluding you IQ25.06 -- refuse to acknowledge the obvious decline of the quality of FCS programs?

Anyone who does that is ignoring reality. Ignoring NDSU (who is soon to go FBS), anyone wanna take a stab at how many FCS national champions in the last 20 years are still playing FCS football and haven't announced their intentions to move to FBS? Guess low. REALLY low.

question marks are redundant :thumb:

You can always tell that your argument is good, when they only attack your grammar :lol:

EverettGriz said:
Cats2506 said:
EverettGriz said:

Because it will signal teams like Oklahoma Panhandle and whoevertheeffthelowlyDIIthekittensplaycollege is getting into the playoffs in a matter of a few years. Assuming this division even exists in a few years.

Why do some of you otherwise intelligent people -- and here I'm obviously excluding you IQ25.06 -- refuse to acknowledge the obvious decline of the quality of FCS programs?

Anyone who does that is ignoring reality. Ignoring NDSU (who is soon to go FBS), anyone wanna take a stab at how many FCS national champions in the last 20 years are still playing FCS football and haven't announced their intentions to move to FBS? Guess low. REALLY low.

Lotta words for not saying anything coherent. How in the hell does this signal that panhandle state that they are getting into the playoffs soon.

Besides for Bosie, how many former FCS national champs that have moved up have ever even been ranked in the top 10 of the FBS

HA!!! You always know they have no argument when they say things like, "lotta words, no statement".

Take a look at last year's playoff teams (with 4 less) and tell me how many of those you could have imagined in the playoffs 5 years ago. Or, more importantly, deserved to be there?

Ummm, not sure what Boise has to do with the conversation. But, ummm, thanks for asking, I guess?? But I'll try to answer your idiotic question like this: I'd rather be ranked #20 at the top level of the sport, than #10 at a glorified DII with teams like Panhandle State around me.

Back