• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NDSU top 25 FBS caliber

MrTitleist

Staff member
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/24156447/no-fbs-fcs-north-dakota-state-is-fbs-top-25-caliber" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very good article. I especially liked this line:

"There are five such schools transitioning to FBS this season according to the NCAA -- Old Dominion, Georgia Southern, Texas-San Antonio, App State and Georgia State. Any similarity between those programs and Alabama is in label only.

Those schools' presidents know they are in for a money-losing venture. But having "FBS" slapped on your football program brands you as a big time.

"Bingo," Viverito said.

North Dakota State has no such aspirations, being that it is big time in its corner of the world. Taylor's athletic budget ($17 million) is one-fourth that of Kansas State's ($68 million). The Bison play in the city-owned Fargo Dome before rabid crowds who will camp out overnight for tickets."

I can't wait to start our home and home with them next year. And it'll be even bigger if the ESPN deal happens too.

get'em_griz said:

"There are five such schools transitioning to FBS this season according to the NCAA -- Old Dominion, Georgia Southern, Texas-San Antonio, App State and Georgia State. Any similarity between those programs and Alabama is in label only.

Those schools' presidents know they are in for a money-losing venture. But having "FBS" slapped on your football program brands you as a big time.

"Bingo," Viverito said.

North Dakota State has no such aspirations, being that it is big time in its corner of the world. Taylor's athletic budget ($17 million) is one-fourth that of Kansas State's ($68 million). The Bison play in the city-owned Fargo Dome before rabid crowds who will camp out overnight for tickets."

I can't wait to start our home and home with them next year. And it'll be even bigger if the ESPN deal happens too.

:rockon:

That's a really good article! I forgot about UND receiving their Championship banner. Can you imagine the outrage if it was UM's banner but mailed to MSU? :lol:

NLGrizFan said:
That's a really good article! I forgot about UND receiving their Championship banner. Can you imagine the outrage if it was UM's banner but mailed to MSU? :lol:

actually kind of funny around here, most made lots of jokes

good article though, it's been a hell of a run since that loss at EwwwwwU in the Quarters on that terrible field in 2010

Hammer said:
Alpha would say they are top 5 FBS :shock:

Top 16 easy.

Every single one of you knows they could play with:

Fresno St
Northern Illinois
Oklahoma St
Louisville
UCLA
Michigan
Michigan St
UCF
Wisconsin
Notre Dame

And they would beat half of them

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Hammer said:

Top 16 easy.

Fresno St
Northern Illinois
Oklahoma St
Louisville
UCLA
Michigan
Michigan St
UCF
Wisconsin
Notre Dame

As a former student of Louisville, before my UM days, I gotta say the Bison would have been about the toughest game on Louisville's schedule this season had they played.

They are solid no doubt about it. And I honestly think any FCS team has a good chance of beating a FBS team on any given Saturday. It's all about match ups and if a team happens to play flat, which can happen to anyone, then a FCS team can easily compete.

However, to play a grueling, week in and week out schedule of FBS teams would expose any FCS program for what it is....including the Bison. After a true schedule of FBS teams, I'd be shocked if the Bison were in the top 50. Just my humble opinion.

grizcountry420 said:
get'em_griz said:

"Bingo," Viverito said.

:rockon:
After reading this article, here is one Bobcat fan's opinion I found on Reddit. This is probably the funniest thing I have ever read.

cyZ1uSu.png

Maybe PROUDgrizHATER is MSU's AD. :lol: Also, what is up with his name? :?

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Hammer said:

Top 16 easy.

Fresno St
Northern Illinois
Oklahoma St
Louisville
UCLA
Michigan
Michigan St
UCF
Wisconsin
Notre Dame

0-10

please keep in mind this article is the opinion of Dobbs and not NDSU

it's getting twisted around on other sites to make it sound like the article is the opinion of NDSU and it's fans

to answer one posters question on the Ducks. I would expect an almost identical game as UCLA played close for a half then a wider gap of points in the second. our D is legit I don't think most people realize that

Absolutely NDSU has the defense to beat top25 teams. Offensively it would have to be ball control/run game. Now this article was great, but mr dodd stopped short of "crowning NDSU as FBS"

Ps. This banner debacle, no one wants to tell the truth that "it was a banner that hung at the college football hall of fame(not the actual banner or trophy) and an intern girl looked up the address and sent it" big deal.

I think NDSU would have a harder time with some of the physical teams on that list, but could stick it to some of the finesse teams. The thing that has stuck out to me in NDSU's 10 FBS games, we have yet to lose on the LOS.

NDSU would match up well vs a NE which I watched MN physically dominate, or a Louisville, or N IL. Would not match up well against a WI or MI State.

Face it, Football is a game of matchups. I think NDSU could win a conference like the MAC that plays a lot of fast break finesse football. Football is also about depth and avoiding injuries. For NDSU, 2013 has been relatively injury free compared to 2012 where Heagle and Perry were lost for the season.

Back