• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NCAA sanctions: A different perspective...

GrizzlyEdd

DONOR
I am going to be very unpopular on here and with some of the egrizzers... I really don't care. Those of you who have been on here for 10+yrs or who know me are aware that I speak my mind. Here it goes.....

I honestly believe that the coach, athletic department, and especially the athletes are the victims in this case. :shock: I believe that who the villains are are the so-called boosters (hopefully not a bunch of GSA folks but if so... so be it). These idiots have KNOWINGLY provided services, assistance, money, and God know what else to athletes. Why would these idiots intentionally do such a thing knowing the possible problems it could cause. These people who have more money than sense have placed our State, City, University, Athletic Program, and most of all Athletes in very bad light nationally and dare I say it, making the Bobcat fans laugh hysterically.

These boosters are not being held responsible for their dirty deeds. They are going to get away totally free. This is a travesty and these individuals need to "man up" and take responsibility for their actions. But, you know they won't. They feel they are above the rest of us common NZone or general admission folks. They really don't give a isht. They sit around smiling at each other saying what a noble thing I have done to help that young man/woman. They think they are above it all.

Ok..... I have spilled my guts and now it is time to take whatever comes from eGriz... but, it is my story and I am firmly sticking to it... if ya don't like it.... all I gotta say is "life is a bitch then you hear from one on eGriz...." LOL... live long and prosper my friends...

The boosters are definitely at fault. They know the rules and are willing to overlook them, and as such, got their school punished.

However, all of these athletes are taught from day 1 on what is acceptable and what is not. Every single one of them knows that they do not take anything from anybody...even if it seems small. It's not worth the risk.

Both sides are at fault, and there are no excuses for it. Pure stupidity led to this.

GrizzlyEdd said:
I am going to be very unpopular on here and with some of the egrizzers... I really don't care. Those of you who have been on here for 10+yrs or who know me are aware that I speak my mind. Here it goes.....

I honestly believe that the coach, athletic department, and especially the athletes are the victims in this case. :shock: I believe that who the villains are are the so-called boosters (hopefully not a bunch of GSA folks but if so... so be it). These idiots have KNOWINGLY provided services, assistance, money, and God know what else to athletes. Why would these idiots intentionally do such a thing knowing the possible problems it could cause. These people who have more money than sense have placed our State, City, University, Athletic Program, and most of all Athletes in very bad light nationally and dare I say it, making the Bobcat fans laugh hysterically.

These boosters are not being held responsible for their dirty deeds. They are going to get away totally free. This is a travesty and these individuals need to "man up" and take responsibility for their actions. But, you know they won't. They feel they are above the rest of us common NZone or general admission folks. They really don't give a isht. They sit around smiling at each other saying what a noble thing I have done to help that young man/woman. They think they are above it all.

Ok..... I have spilled my guts and now it is time to take whatever comes from eGriz... but, it is my story and I am firmly sticking to it... if ya don't like it.... all I gotta say is "life is a bitch then you hear from one on eGriz...." LOL... live long and prosper my friends...

I assume you're not faulting the parent who paid several hundred dollars to bail out the guys, when requested by the grandfather of one of the players? Wouldn't most any parent do the same thing in that situation? Most parents would not considered that to be an NCAA problem.

Why do you think the "boosters" would know the rules? In Montana's fan base, there are tens of thousands of boosters. Because the NCAA considers boosters to be boosters for all time, there must be 50,000 or more boosters out there. Many of them probably don't know the rules. These people may not have considered what they did as breaking any rule.

As for the boosters other than the parent, I heard they weren't big boosters and weren't even known by the coach or the AD. Obviously, the athletic department employee was known.

Is it not true that every season ticket holder is a booster because of the required GSA membership / donation to get your seats???

84GRIZ said:
Is it not true that every season ticket holder is a booster because of the required GSA membership / donation to get your seats???
That is true, but not every season ticket requires a GSA membership

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Washgrizfan1 said:
GrizzlyEdd said:

I assume you're not faulting the parent who paid several hundred dollars to bail out the guys, when requested by the grandfather of one of the players? Wouldn't most any parent do the same thing in that situation? Most parents would not considered that to be an NCAA problem.

Why do you think the "boosters" would know the rules? In Montana's fan base, there are tens of thousands of boosters. Because the NCAA considers boosters to be boosters for all time, there must be 50,000 or more boosters out there. Many of them probably don't know the rules. These people may not have considered what they did as breaking any rule.

As for the boosters other than the parent, I heard they weren't big boosters and weren't even known by the coach or the AD. Obviously, the athletic department employee was known.
^^^^^=Guilty party.

Can you blame a 21yr old kid or 19yr old taking a free meal or shirt or someone to do his laundry. I can't. After all these kids spend 60+ hours a week at football, then 30 on classes. Seriously the ncaa needs to give these kids something besides the scholarship to some players. Boosters are 30-90 yrs old. Before you give to a charity wouldn't you like to know about it? Same with the university. You give money, you have a responsibility to make sure you follow the rules and know what cones with it. Your an adult...place some blame on the coaches and university...every donation should recieve a rule guide for what it means to be a booster. Its a joke to say that boosters are not responsible for thier stupid actions.

mtgrizfankb said:
Can you blame a 21yr old kid or 19yr old taking a free meal or shirt or someone to do his laundry. I can't. After all these kids spend 60+ hours a week at football, then 30 on classes. Seriously the ncaa needs to give these kids something besides the scholarship to some players. Boosters are 30-90 yrs old. Before you give to a charity wouldn't you like to know about it? Same with the university. You give money, you have a responsibility to make sure you follow the rules and know what cones with it. Your an adult...place some blame on the coaches and university...every donation should recieve a rule guide for what it means to be a booster. Its a joke to say that boosters are not responsible for thier stupid actions.
Doesn't um do this, I have received a couple of these types of pamphlets from MSU, maybe that is part of the problem and why the NCAA didn't feel that um takes the NCAA rules seriously.

Cats2506 said:
mtgrizfankb said:
Doesn't um do this, I have received a couple of these types of pamphlets from MSU, maybe that is part of the problem and why the NCAA didn't feel that um takes the NCAA rules seriously.

Nope. U of M tries to break every rule in the book. They actually had pamphlets and gave them to a booster to use as charcoal for tailgates and weenie cooking. They also encourage players to use drugs, rape women and be thugs in general. The coaches actually instituted a thug life program where they bring in members of the crips and bloods to talk to players about stealing, treating women poorly and being thugs in general. They are the only school who has ever had problems. Bozeman - another school in the state - has never had problems. They never will again and their recent run of success will go on forever (until they hit the playoffs if they make them this year). The U of M has never run a clean program and won without cheating. Don Read started the whole thug life thing and every coach since has continued. I think their program is done and they will ultimately go down a rat hole now. Their fans just can't stand the team anymore and no fans are renewing their season tickets. Bozeman will now pass the U of M in ticket sales. I believe the governor is trying to get a wall built around Missoula and Snake Pliskens will be the warden for all of the thugs in Missoula. The sky fell. Oh god. The end.

Copper Griz said:
Cats2506 said:
mtgrizfankb said:

Nope. U of M tries to break every rule in the book. They actually had the pamphlets and gave them to a booster to use as charcoal for tailgates and weenie cooking. They also encourage players to use drugs, rape women and be thugs in general. The coaches actually instituted a thug life program where they bring in members of the crips and bloods to talk to players about stealing, treating women poorly and being thugs in general. They are the only school who has ever had problems. Bozeman - another school in the state - has never had problems. They never will again and their recent run of success will go on forever (until they hit the playoffs if they make them this year). The U of M has never run a clean program and won without cheating. Don Read started the whole thug life thing and every coach since has continued. I think their program is done and they will ultimately go down a rat hole now. The end.
Glad you could contribute :roll:

But seriously why has mtgrizfankb never received one of these pamphlets, and based on the ignorance shown by the general population of your fanbase its evident that most have never seen this type of pamphlet either.

The problem is not the question you pose - it is taking you serious and believing you actually have valid points to make on this board. Your intentions have never been one of "caring" about the Griz or the program by any means. Now you ask a serious question or is it? Your credibility is shot - not that many on this board have any. I guess BW and a few others. I personally feel the pamphlet is a waste of time. Why? Because kids/boosters don't read handouts and there is a far better way to educate them. This same scenario could have happened countless times in Bozeman and it has just not been reported or publicized. To think it has not is simply naive.

95% of boosters are well intended... The others do it for more selfish reasons (eg: social status, living vicariously, creepy infatuations with the athletes) and take it too far. Boosters are crucial to our success and have the right to befriend the players who benefit from their money, but some take it too far and prioritize their ego over the actual well being of the program. Ed is right, that it is a shame that the boosters receive no punishment for their negligence. They should at least have their names released in the statements put out by the NCAA and University.

Here's an idea. How about next time a player jets home after an away game, throws a party in the middle of the night in an apartment complex and then gets tazed after his neighbors call the cops, we just leave him in jail until his Monday court appearance? There was no need to bail out a kid acting that stupid. It's a day in jail. Big deal.
How about he just gets a public defender. Gerald Kemp wasn't charged with manslaughter. Public defenders get charges reduced too you know. We seem to forget that people who go through their 20s without helmets get through this stuff just fine.
how about you say no thanks the next time someone offers to buy your meal or wash your clothes? Sure seems easier than policing every middle aged Missoulian with a Griz T-shirt.

UM sends a compliance pamphlet out with the mailings of season tickets. I doubt they do it for every GSA contribution, and I highly doubt that even the ncaa would expect them to. There is also compliance information for both student-athletes and boosters prominently displayed on GoGRIZ.com.

http://www.gogriz.com/compliance/mont-compliance.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EverettGriz said:
UM sends a compliance pamphlet out with the mailings of season tickets. I doubt they do it for every GSA contribution, and I highly doubt that even the ncaa would expect them to. There is also compliance information for both student-athletes and boosters prominently displayed on GoGRIZ.com.

http://www.gogriz.com/compliance/mont-compliance.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ah hah, so fizz fans just don't read huh?

Copper Griz said:
The problem is not the question you pose - it is taking you serious and believing you actually have valid points to make on this board. Your intentions have never been one of "caring" about the Griz or the program by any means. Now you ask a serious question or is it? Your credibility is shot - not that many on this board have any. I guess BW and a few others. I personally feel the pamphlet is a waste of time. Why? Because kids/boosters don't read handouts and there is a far better way to educate them. This same scenario could have happened countless times in Bozeman and it has just not been reported or publicized. To think it has not is simply naive.
Most of my questions are serious, and the points I make are real, it's just that they usually come with a little jab or two and many on this board have really thin skins and cant see beyond that.

Cats2506 said:
EverettGriz said:

At least we can read. Can't say much for you toothless hillbillies on the other side of the mountain.

Cats2506 said:
EverettGriz said:

We're pretty good at reading football records. We like what we see.

Back