• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NCAA Investigation news?

cody45051

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-oregon-football-violations20130416,0,1047545.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just read an article saying Oregon's investigation will likely be wrapped up in the next few months... maybe. Does anyone have any updates about any light at the end of our tunnel?

While I don't have an answer to your question at this time I will be sure to ask UM Athletic Director Kent Haslam what information he can relay to Griz faithful regarding the NCAA, Department of Justice and Department of Education inquiries when he is out here in Sidney for our annual GSA banquet. That may be the biggest question of the night. It might also be the one that garners the least informative answer.

Griz90 said:
While I don't have an answer to your question at this time I will be sure to ask UM Athletic Director Kent Haslam what information he can relay to Griz faithful regarding the NCAA, Department of Justice and Department of Education inquiries when he is out here in Sidney for our annual GSA banquet. That may be the biggest question of the night. It might also be the one that garners the least informative answer.

I'm not knocking Kent in posting this, I think he's doing a great job so far and helping keep the masses calm and running the athletic department but I could probably guess his answer to you on that.

I would expect you'd see an answer similar to this: "At this point there's nothing more I can say, in fact I don't really know what they're up to. All we can do is forge ahead with what we're working on and we will hopefully get word on this all soon. I've not heard anything new from main hall on this."

The Oregon investigation is over 2.5 years old at this point.

Unless your name is Cam Newton, and you're cleared overnight, the NCAA likes to take their time and allow programs and schools to twist in the wind.

NorthwestFresh said:

Unless your name is Cam Newton, and you're cleared overnight, the NCAA likes to take their time and allow programs and schools to twist in the wind.

That and budgeting their "bribery" money. :thumb:

NorthwestFresh said:

Yep. Helps when you're in the SEC...

Nothing for athletics to worry about with the DOJ and DOE investigations. Probably not too much to worry about with the NCAA investigation, but not home free and level of sanctions not set in stone. First two essentially done; last one entering final stages.

Washgrizfan1 said:
Nothing for athletics to worry about with the DOJ and DOE investigations. Probably not too much to worry about with the NCAA investigation, but not home free and level of sanctions not set in stone. First two essentially done; last one entering final stages.

You have no way of knowing this. Not that giving hope is a bad thing, but nobody knows where the NCAA investigation is at this point. I'm guessing the NCAA doesn't even know...

Gotta agree with Northwest. The NCAA DOES NOT SHOW THEIR HAND IN THESE MATTERS. The only way people know what's coming is IF the NCAA has ended the investigation, has notified the UM of their findings and UM personnel has leaked and blabbed that info. IF the investigation is still ongoing, then NO ONE at the University of Montana knows anything more than we do, which is nothing.

Expect a lot of news about the last few years a bit at a time on a few things, by July.

The unexpected dismissal of JOD and Pflu will soon begin to be pieced together.

havgrizfan said:
Gotta agree with Northwest. The NCAA DOES NOT SHOW THEIR HAND IN THESE MATTERS. The only way people know what's coming is IF the NCAA has ended the investigation, has notified the UM of their findings and UM personnel has leaked and blabbed that info. IF the investigation is still ongoing, then NO ONE at the University of Montana knows anything more than we do, which is nothing.

That's not entirely accurate, at least generally speaking. Considerable information is known by people other than the ncaa, as investigations progress. Those who are interviewed by the ncaa or university compliance people know what the subject matter is and what questions are asked--as it pertains to them. The university's counsel and others have various degrees of contact and conversation with the ncaa. As potential violations are disclosed to the ncaa or uncovered, those experienced with ncaa investigations (like experiene university counsel) start to get a feeling for the issues, potential issues and potential remedies. Eventually, the ncaa starts to communicate with various people and their counsel regarding the ncaa's preliminary view. These communications are often done in writing. There is also communication with the university or university counsel. Sometimes universities try to use self-sanctions to head off issues. The ncaa doesn't just investigate everything by themselves, and then spring conclusions/sanctions on universities. That being said, I sure don't know what's going to happen.

PlayerRep said:
havgrizfan said:

That's not entirely accurate, at least generally speaking. Considerable information is known by people other than the ncaa, as investigations progress. Those who are interviewed by the ncaa or university compliance people know what the subject matter is and what questions are asked--as it pertains to them. The university's counsel and others have various degrees of contact and conversation with the ncaa. As potential violations are disclosed to the ncaa or uncovered, those experienced with ncaa investigations (like experiene university counsel) start to get a feeling for the issues, potential issues and potential remedies. Eventually, the ncaa starts to communicate with various people and their counsel regarding the ncaa's preliminary view. These communications are often done in writing. There is also communication with the university or university counsel. Sometimes universities try to use self-sanctions to head off issues. The ncaa doesn't just investigate everything by themselves, and then spring conclusions/sanctions on universities. That being said, I sure don't know what's going to happen.

You should have just left it at that. I suggest somebody in Montana's media issue a FOIA request for any communication between the UM and the NCAA. That's the only reason that anybody knows anything about the Oregon investigation.

Actually PR, according to former AD departments at Miami, Penn State, Ohio State, North Carolina, Alabama, Kentucky (BB), Michigan (BB) and Arizona State (Baseball), the NCAA did exactly that to them. Investigated and announced penalties with no prior warning of those penalties.

The ncaa has issued a written Notice of Allegations to Miami. Miami has now filed a motion to dismiss. Miami and its counsel certainly know what the ncaa is pursuing.

havgrizfan said:
Actually PR, according to former AD departments at Miami, Penn State, Ohio State, North Carolina, Alabama, Kentucky (BB), Michigan (BB) and Arizona State (Baseball), the NCAA did exactly that to them. Investigated and announced penalties with no prior warning of those penalties.

That certainly isn't accurate as to the current Miami case. A Notice of Allegations has been sent to them. Let's see your links/cites for those schools' having said what you said in the last sentence. Penn St was unusual because Penn St had already told the ncaa they would accept whatever the ncaa did.

I'm not talking about their current investigation. Read prior stories on every single one of the schools I listed. Their AD or coach literally says the same thing. "We had no idea the penalties were going to be this severe and we're disappointed with the NCAA's findings." I borrowed that one from from former Kentucky head coach Eddie Sutton. In each story, it's literally the same thing paraphrased.

"The NCAA has notified Ohio State that it will face a "failure to monitor" charge in addition to more allegations of rules violations by its troubled football program."

This was done 7 weeks prior to the announcement of the sanctions.

"School officials are scheduled to appear before the NCAA infractions committee again on Dec. 10 to answer to these latest charges. However, Ohio State has asked to have the charges reviewed during a conference call the week of Nov. 28 -- the final week of the football regular season."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7217079/ncaa-slaps-ohio-state-buckeyes-failure-monitor-charge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back