• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NAIA Championship

Sorry Cadwz, you're right. unfortunately as you get older you not only lose track of the minutes and hours - but the daze.

Does anyone know if the Carroll game will be televised? I don't think it is going to be on ESPN but will it be broadcast locally?

The game will be televised on Omega. A list of the Western Montana stations that will carry it is listed in the sports section on the Missoulian web site. If I wasn't so lame @ this computer sh#t I would give a link.

Sh*t, I don't get omega. Live too far out in the sticks to have cable. I will just have to look and see if I can find it on the big dish tomorrow.

Here is what I found on SBS 6 (short answer: it is KU band)

jcsat1.jpg

SBS 6

When the demand for its communications capacity increased dramatically in 1985, Satellite Business Systems (SBS) chose to purchase a larger, more powerful platform from Hughes Space and Communications Company, today known as Boeing Satellite Systems. SBS became the first customer to order the Hughes HS-393 spin-stabilized model.

SBS 6 was launched from Kourou, French Guiana, aboard an Ariane rocket October 12, 1990, as part of a dual payload for Hughes Communications, Inc. (HCI) -- the Hughes subsidiary that bought the three Ku-band satellites earlier in the year from SBS. SBS 6 entered service in November 1990. It is in geosynchronous orbit 22,338 miles above the equator at 95 degrees West longitude.

SBS 6 provides data, voice, and video communications services to private satellite network customers in the continental United States. Switchable offshore coverage is available on two transponders.

SBS 6 spins at 55 rpm. It carries 30 Ku-band channels, 19 operating and 11 spares. Each channel operates in the 43 MHz bandwidth powered by 41-watt traveling-wave tube amplifiers. By comparison, a channel on SBS 4 or SBS 5 produces 20 watts of power. Each SBS 6 channel transmits on a frequency range of 11.7 to 12.2 GHz and receives on a frequency range of 14.0 to 14.5 GHz. The satellite has a signal strength of 46.5 dBW over densely populated areas of the United States. The satellite uses a 2.4-meter parabolic antenna with a multihorn feed array, an omnidirectional command and telemetry antenna.

When it was launched, SBS weighed 5390 pounds. After using fuel during transfer orbit maneuvers, the satellite had an initial on-station weight of 3265 pounds. Fully deployed, the 12-foot diameter spacecraft is 33 feet tall. Like its smaller Ku-band siblings, SBS 6 has a spun section containing its propulsion system and solar drums. Its despun section contains the satellite's communications payload and its antennas.

The solar cells -- the HS-393 has more than twice as many a 376 -- generate more than 2000 watts of power. The satellite's nickel-hydrogen batteries provide electrical power during eclipse operations.

Two axial and four radial 5-lbf thrusters are used for stationkeeping, spin control, and attitude control. In addition, SBS 6 used two 110-lbf thrusters for apogee maneuvers and satellite reorientation.

SBS 6 was placed into a geosynchronous transfer orbit by its Ariane launch vehicle. About a minute before separation from the booster -- about 20 minutes into the flight -- the satellite's omni command antenna was deployed and the spacecraft started spinning at 5 rpm. Following separation, the satellite's thrusters were fired and its spin rate was increased to 20 rpm. Four separate firings of the two 110-lbf thrusters raised the satellite's perigee to 22,338 miles. After it drifted to its orbital slot, the SBS 6 communications platform was despun, its solar drum was extended, and its parabolic antenna was raised.

Nation: USA
Type / Application: Communication
Operator: Satellite Business Systems (SBS) ->
Contractors: Hughes
Equipment: 30 Ku-band transponders
Configuratation: HS-393
Propulsion: 2 R-4D-12
Mass:
Orbit: GEO

Satellite Date LS Launcher Remarks:
SBS 6 12.10.1990 Ko ELA-2 Ariane-44L H10 with Galaxy 6

Further SBS missions:

SBS 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 [HS-376]
SBS 6 [HS-393]
Source: Boeing Satellite Systems website

Damn! Are you going to be ok? That is way more work than you needed to do on a Friday afternoon... is it beer thirty yet?

Back