• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Moving up to 1A?

A

Anonymous

Here's the way I see it. Idaho has moved up to 1A and they are the envy of the country, right? Yes we could move to the Sunbelt conference and play exciting schools like Louisiana Monroe and Arkansas State. The best we could hope for is to move to the WAC. Unlikely that would happen because there are teams like Idaho and Utah State in line before us. The Sagrin ratings rate the Sun Belt 3 conferences below the Big Sky!

I have lived in the Boise area for over 25 years. I am a faithful GRIZ and don't care much for the Broncos. I go to several of their games because they are the only show in town. Bronco fans complain they do not have real rivalries anymore. The Broncos play Rice and SMU and people could care less. Loose one game and Bronco attendance goes from 23,000 to 16,000. Boise has one of the smallest metropolitan areas in the WAC at 460,000 and growing. Missoula can compete with a metro area of 120,000?

Yes Wyoming is 1A and has the longest loosing streak in the country and a small metro area. It is also the only 4-year university in the state. Yes if Boise State wins the WAC they will be rewarded with a bowl game everyone wants to see like the Humanitarian Bowl or the Hula Bowl. Everyone watches those, right?

Are we really that complaisant? Is winning the National Championship in any division more prestigious than winning the Humanitarian Bowl? You bet it is!! Montana has it all now. If the stadium had 5,000 more seats the average attendance would probably beat Boise States average. If you are bored watching the Griz demolish Weber try sitting through a game with Tulsa. Anyone who thinks that winning is ho-hum hasn’t been watching the Grizzlies very long. It’s no fun to become average and that is what we would be in the WAC, which is one of the bottom feeder conferences in 1A.

I have recruited for the Griz at recruiting fairs here in Boise. Kids here and all over the west know who the GRIZ are! Do you really think the Colorado quarterback Oaks would be transferring to Montana if we were an average Sun Belt or WAC team? No he is coming to Montana because we are the NATIONAL CHAMPIONS and because we are a national football power. We love being the best. No way do we want to be mediocre again. Be careful what you wish for. GO GRIZ!! 8)

UMGriz I have only one thing to say about your post:

DITTO

Oh, by the way, being a 1AA team, much better chance of picking up top 1A transfers like Oches. That is because of the transfer rules. If Griz moved up to 1A, think we would have a player with Oches reputation? No way.

umgriz said:
Here's the way I see it. Idaho has moved up to 1A and they are the envy of the country, right? Yes we could move to the Sunbelt conference and play exciting schools like Louisiana Monroe and Arkansas State. The best we could hope for is to move to the WAC. Unlikely that would happen because there are teams like Idaho and Utah State in line before us. The Sagrin ratings rate the Sun Belt 3 conferences below the Big Sky!

I have lived in the Boise area for over 25 years. I am a faithful GRIZ and don't care much for the Broncos. I go to several of their games because they are the only show in town. Bronco fans complain they do not have real rivalries anymore. The Broncos play Rice and SMU and people could care less. Loose one game and Bronco attendance goes from 23,000 to 16,000. Boise has one of the smallest metropolitan areas in the WAC at 460,000 and growing. Missoula can compete with a metro area of 120,000?

Yes Wyoming is 1A and has the longest loosing streak in the country and a small metro area. It is also the only 4-year university in the state. Yes if Boise State wins the WAC they will be rewarded with a bowl game everyone wants to see like the Humanitarian Bowl or the Hula Bowl. Everyone watches those, right?

Are we really that complaisant? Is winning the National Championship in any division more prestigious than winning the Humanitarian Bowl? You bet it is!! Montana has it all now. If the stadium had 5,000 more seats the average attendance would probably beat Boise States average. If you are bored watching the Griz demolish Weber try sitting through a game with Tulsa. Anyone who thinks that winning is ho-hum hasn’t been watching the Grizzlies very long. It’s no fun to become average and that is what we would be in the WAC, which is one of the bottom feeder conferences in 1A.

I have recruited for the Griz at recruiting fairs here in Boise. Kids here and all over the west know who the GRIZ are! Do you really think the Colorado quarterback Oaks would be transferring to Montana if we were an average Sun Belt or WAC team? No he is coming to Montana because we are the NATIONAL CHAMPIONS and because we are a national football power. We love being the best. No way do we want to be mediocre again. Be careful what you wish for. GO GRIZ!! 8)

Excellent analysis. You know, Montana should just be happy the way they are right now. No need to become greedy for the big bucks. :)

Back