• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Monte in Sports Illustrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadwiz30

DONOR
In the Aug. 18th Sports Illustrated there is a small story about mascots and a picture of the 12 finalists for the Capitol One mascot champion. The story isn't very good and doesn't say much at all about Monte, it doesn't even mention anything about him being the defending champion. Its not worth buying the issue but if you are at the supermarket and see it on the newsstand just grab it and turn to page 20.

Monte is a very good mascot. One of the best ones out there as shown by getting mascot of the year. However, I am getting sick of people posting every little blurb that appears about him.

Its time to focus on the real reason that we follow UM athletics. Players and then coaches, the.......... mascots

Over a long 8-month off-season, I'll talk about Monte all I damn well please. But now it's only 11 days to go. I'm ready for some football.

Sweetwyne said:
Monte is a very good mascot. One of the best ones out there as shown by getting mascot of the year. However, I am getting sick of people posting every little blurb that appears about him.

So you have your opinion, big deal. Get over it, if you don't care, then don't read the post and don't contribute to it. Its that simple.

I too, am ready for some football and I too would rather talk football and how anxious I am for the season to start. But that goes without saying, everyone on this board has those same feelings, at least this little blurb about Monte is something new and he is associated with the University of Montana. Not like some of these other off topic threads that sometimes get started here.

If you don't like it then do what I do, DON'T READ IT! I look at the topic subject and if it says something that I am not interested in, guess what, I won't read it! Now I would suggest that if you saw a topic that had "Monte" in the subject line then you might not want to read it, I don't know, thats just a simple suggestion to keep you from getting "sick" when people post something about Monte.

*** The preceeding statement was a helpful tip from the "I Could Care Less Who I Piss Off Foundation" a subsidiary of the "Sarcasm Institute for Higher Learning"

WHOA there!! I think someone is a little stressed. Take a deep breath and count to 10. Sweetwyne's post was not threatening, derogatory or presented with any ill will twoards the program, the beloved "Monte" or anyone on this board. So just chill cadwiz and get ready for another great season!

Baller1

Cadwiz, holy moley. You would think taht somebody pissed on your back had the arrogance to tell you it was raining. I think that the monte videos were cute and kinda funny but he has got to learn that a mascot is an accessory to the team and people dont spend money to come watch him. I dont know about you cadwiz but I spend my money to watch the football game and if i have to use the restroom, i use it during monte's time.

Antoher promblem that I have with Monte and tell me what you think about this is that Monte or Barry, whatever name you want to use, is now a professional mascot. I dont like this. The mascot should be a current student at the school. I dont think that we should pay somebody who does not attend the school to be the mascot. The school cheerleader should be part of the school ie. a student.

I dont know about you but I dont want to foot the bill for monte. Have him find and train a replacement. Now Cadwiz, try to give me some facts and not just flame me on the board.

Baller1 said:
WHOA there!! I think someone is a little stressed. Take a deep breath and count to 10. Sweetwyne's post was not threatening, derogatory or presented with any ill will twoards the program, the beloved "Monte" or anyone on this board. So just chill cadwiz and get ready for another great season!

Baller1

I disagree completely, if someone told you that he was "sick" of your post then that absolutely is derogatory, I would expect you to defend your reason for posting. If you can look at this impartially, I think you would agree, you would feel compelled to respond. Ok, so I responded vigorously, I enjoyed it. It was good for me and if I feel the need to do it again, I won't count to 10 and I won't chill, I will respond vigorously again and you can choose to read it or not (which was my point in my previous post).

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I just don't understand the need to post something like what Sweetwyne posted. Sure I run across threads that I have no interest in and I am tired of reading about NDSU and their stuggles to get into a conference but I don't go into that thread and tell them I am sick of it. I just ignore it, its a very simple process and takes less effort than to actually post a negative comment.

Now back to the subject matter of the original post, sure I enjoy watching Monte but he is not the reason I go to the games. I wouldn't even go so far as to say that he is "beloved" to me. He is simply entertainment during a break in the real action. My original post was to inform anyone that cared that he happened to be in the current Sports Illustraded. Take it for what it is worth, if you care, great... if you don't care, great. I didn't post it to get any reaction at all, in fact I didn't expect anyone to respond at all.

Sweetwyne, why must you always try to dig a deeper hole. You can't even climb out the one you're in now. Is your main objective on e-griz to foment dissension? You just go to the game for football and to pee? Many fans go for the overall experience, including tailgating, skydivers, music, Sugar Bears, Monte, post-game celebrations, and, of course, the MAIN EVENT. Everything tied together is what makes GRIZ football such a social event. So, how much money does Monte make - you seem to be the expert? Monte is part of the package that makes up Montana football. The kids love him and all the parents I know find him very entertaining. Fans on the road say he's the best they've ever seen. You don't want to pay anything for his show and don't want to see it - then don't. A lot of GRIZ fans don't agree with you on this and most other subjects.

Looks to me like cadwiz just posted something he thought some people would be interested in. A lot of Griz fan follow the expoits of Monty.

Also looks like sweetwyne doesn't follow the exploits of Monty, in which case he could have looked at the subject and took a leak instead of reading it, like during the game.

simma'down'na all ya'all. :-? :pee:

Question: If people shouldn't reply to things that they don't agree with then what is the point of having a message board?

Please don't take this as an insult I am just asking...really not into being bitched out. Your starting to sound like my mother

Baller1

HERE ARE THE FACTS, if you would have read my last post you would have seen it.

I dont care for monte now (2003-2004 school year, thats not last year cad) because he is not a student. If he was a student I would not have any trouble with it. But he is just a guy off the street that is being professionaly paid. I think that he does a good job but if he wants to earn a living being a mascot then he needs to go to the professional ranks.

College is still the home of ameteurs and hopefully people do it simply because they enjoy doing it.

Now, if you dont follow that coherent argument, I will have Jimus use sign language.

Most of Monte's money comes from boosters. Personally I feel he brings very positive exposure to the University that outweighs the cost. My kids love the guy, so he is also helping to bring young Griz fans into the stadium. But I do respect your opinion Sweetwyne.

Also, I remember some of our past Monte's and the lack of personality they had. They were nothing different or special from any other BSC mascot. I still chuckle at the memory of some of his past perfomances, like dancing with the ref or the streak. There is a reason for his awards, he is the best and we are lucky he has stayed around. It is only a matter of time before some pro team grabs him.

With more thinking I can see the arguement monte. I just dont want my ticket prices going up or the athletes needs being compromised to pay for monte.

Being a mature fan I get the occasional laugh from Monte, especially the videos but sometimes find the stuff a little old.

However, in all of these posts I failed to think about the kids that come to the games. I forgot that when I was a kid coming to the games, I only missed one home game from my birth till my senior year in high school, how much I loved Grizzly Otto. He probably pales in comparison to our present day mascot.

I can conclude my posts with this. The mascot today is a hundred times better than the "Wolf" that we had for a year. Does anyone remember this mascot.

Sweetwyne said:
Cadwiz, holy moley. You would think taht somebody pissed on your back had the arrogance to tell you it was raining. I think that the monte videos were cute and kinda funny but he has got to learn that a mascot is an accessory to the team and people dont spend money to come watch him. I dont know about you cadwiz but I spend my money to watch the football game and if i have to use the restroom, i use it during monte's time.

I just posted in response to Baller, I touched on the fact that Monte is not the reason I go to the games.

Sweetwyne said:
Antoher promblem that I have with Monte and tell me what you think about this is that Monte or Barry, whatever name you want to use, is now a professional mascot. I dont like this. The mascot should be a current student at the school. I dont think that we should pay somebody who does not attend the school to be the mascot. The school cheerleader should be part of the school ie. a student.

I agree with you on this, I think the mascot should be a current student. The cheerleaders are current students and I think the mascot is a cheerleader in a different uniform. But I don't have the power to change it so I will live with it.

Sweetwyne said:
I dont know about you but I dont want to foot the bill for monte. Have him find and train a replacement. Now Cadwiz, try to give me some facts and not just flame me on the board.

What facts are you looking for? This thread had one fact on it, Monte is in the current Sports Illustrated, thats it for facts. What other facts would you expect on this topic? I think you still don't understand what I am saying, my only reason for post the original post was to inform the readers of egriz that he was in Sports Illustrated, big deal, thats it. I am not trying to defend Monte, I could care less what you think of him. It sounds to me that we both feel the same way about Monte, entertaining but not the reason we go to the game.

Speaking of flaming, I would consider what you said about my post a flame, albeit small but I didn't start it, I just fanned the flames.

Damn, you guys are posting too fast for me to keep up with. I guess I need to start posting smaller messages.

Sweetwyne said:
HERE ARE THE FACTS, if you would have read my last post you would have seen it.

I dont care for monte now (2003-2004 school year, thats not last year cad) because he is not a student. If he was a student I would not have any trouble with it. But he is just a guy off the street that is being professionaly paid. I think that he does a good job but if he wants to earn a living being a mascot then he needs to go to the professional ranks.

College is still the home of ameteurs and hopefully people do it simply because they enjoy doing it.

Now, if you dont follow that coherent argument, I will have Jimus use sign language.

I understand what you are saying but that has nothing to do with my original post. I just said that he was in the current Sports Illustrated, thats it. I wasn't trying to defend the guy, I was letting people know that he made it into a national publication. I wasn't discussing the merits of being a student or not. Wow, I can't believe you got that out of any of my posts. Whatever you are on, pass it over here because I want some of it.

This is going to put an end to this interesting topic and debate.

1. I just dont understand why everyone is so into monte, people have explained why.

2. I dont want to be misinterpreted that I hate monte, I just dont go to games to watch his antics, but some people do. Case and point was the Sac State basketball game. It got way more people than any of the previous griz games since it was monte appreciation night. So there is a big following and i dont want to be a wet blanket to those people

3. I am ready for football and the discussions that we have on this board about it. Saying that there is something about monte is fine, but i kept seeing little blurbs about it all the time. Also, it is not nearly as annoying as the Dakota posts that we see all the time. Are griz fans really that into Daktoa football.

4. Finally, lively debate and an occasional barb are what makes a good message board. Sometimes this board doesnt have enough debate and dissenting opinions as other boards. Dont be afraid to piss people off. We are into Griz football and debate and opinion expression makes following the griz that much more fun.

Baller1 said:
Question: If people shouldn't reply to things that they don't agree with then what is the point of having a message board?

Please don't take this as an insult I am just asking...really not into being bitched out. Your starting to sound like my mother

Baller1

I will answer this, with my own opinion and no facts, in the spirit it was asked. Absolutely, people should disagree, if everyone agreed it would be a very boring message board. But in my opinion, I would like an intelligent disagreement to respond to.

Facts are facts, you can have an opinion about facts but that doesn't change them from being facts. Opinions should be discussed and other opinons should be heard. My fact was, Monte is in the current Sports Illustrated. My opinion was, I don't think the article was good enough to warrant buying the issue. I would have been more than happy to discuss someone elses opinion about how much he liked the article and why everyone should go out and buy a copy. That was the topic and the discussion (if any) I expected.

How did this get to Monte being a student or not? That should have been a different thread.

Sweetwyne said:
4. Finally, lively debate and an occasional barb are what makes a good message board. Sometimes this board doesnt have enough debate and dissenting opinions as other boards. Dont be afraid to piss people off. We are into Griz football and debate and opinion expression makes following the griz that much more fun.

That works for me, it was fun while it lasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back