• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Montana vs. Square heads/ Badlands Bowl

Richard Cranium

In Miles City and talked to one of the coaches and I asked him who the most impressive players were and he mentioned 3 players. The Schay kid from Malta is a manchild, with lots of potential to be a great LB for the Griz. The other 2 were going to she scats Brekke and Bignell he said the Bignell kid could be the best of them all.

After reading Rivals.com concerning the dearth of the college level talent produced by the states of Montana and North Dakota, I can't muster up much personal interest In this game. Apparently, I'm not alone.

Lex Hilliard, Kroy Biermann, Schann Shillinger, Dan Carpenter, Colt Anderson, Marc Mariani, Tuff Harris, Chase Reynolds, Steve Pfaler, Jordan Tripp, Zach Wagenman, Brock Coyle, Caleb Kidder, etc... All players that weren't "talented enough" to get a rivals profile.

There is plenty of talent and if history serves correct, there is a strong possibility that their is a future NFL player playing in this game. If it weren't all the way out in Miles City, I'd definitely attend and am looking forward to any updates from anyone who can post them.

Rivals and Scout just do not cover Montana. Hell, the Dissly kid from Bozeman has several FBS offers already and still doesn't have a profile yet on those sites...The game is certainly interesting from the perspective that you get to analyze future Cat and Griz players play against tougher competition...

Thanks for the info RC. Keep posting.

Curious to know about these "several FBS offers" that have gone out to Dissly. Which schools do you know have offered?

WaGriz4life said:
Curious to know about these "several FBS offers" that have gone out to Dissly. Which schools do you know have offered?

I don't know for sure. Not close to the situation. Talked to a good friend who said that Wyoming, csu, and unlv. Also said many Pac12 schools including Oregon are on him hard. I wouldn't take that info to the bank. Its heresay and my friend tends to exaggerate...

HighLineGRIZ said:
WaGriz4life said:

I don't know for sure. Not close to the situation. Talked to a good friend who said that Wyoming, csu, and unlv. Also said many Pac12 schools including Oregon are on him hard. I wouldn't take that info to the bank. Its heresay and my friend tends to exaggerate...

So Wyoming, CSU, and UNLV...so no better than the top few teams in FCS then.

Oregon is the sh!t though.

I'd love to land Dissly, he'd have a great career (personal and team success) at UM. His older brother was an All BSC baketball player at MSU.

43-21 Montana 4th

http://kdix.com/

Montana was up 29-0 after the first quarter. ND scored 21 points in the 3rd and had a return called back. Montana had 2 long touchdown drives in the 4th.

CV Griz Fan said:
After reading Rivals.com concerning the dearth of the college level talent produced by the states of Montana and North Dakota, I can't muster up much personal interest In this game. Apparently, I'm not alone.
I'm not even that dumb.

HighLineGRIZ said:
Lex Hilliard, Kroy Biermann, Schann Shillinger, Dan Carpenter, Colt Anderson, Marc Mariani, Tuff Harris, Chase Reynolds, Steve Pfaler, Jordan Tripp, Zach Wagenman, Brock Coyle, Caleb Kidder, etc... All players that weren't "talented enough" to get a rivals profile.

There is plenty of talent and if history serves correct, there is a strong possibility that their is a future NFL player playing in this game. If it weren't all the way out in Miles City, I'd definitely attend and am looking forward to any updates from anyone who can post them.

Rivals and Scout just do not cover Montana. Hell, the Dissly kid from Bozeman has several FBS offers already and still doesn't have a profile yet on those sites...The game is certainly interesting from the perspective that you get to analyze future Cat and Griz players play against tougher competition...

High line:

My point wasn't about the lack of a Rivals.com profile. My point was about the lack of football scholarships offered to HS players from either state. Montana didn't have one player receive a FBS scholarship offer this last recruiting season. They were 0 for 5,600 roughly. That, my friend, is the very definition of a "dearth" of talent statewide. You just can't explain that one away no matter how hard you try!

CV Griz Fan said:
HighLineGRIZ said:

High line:

My point wasn't about the lack of a Rivals.com profile. My point was about the lack of football scholarships offered to HS players from either state. Montana didn't have one player receive a FBS scholarship offer this last recruiting season. They were 0 for 5,600 roughly. That, my friend, is the very definition of a "dearth" of talent statewide. You just can't explain that one away no matter how hard you try!

That was your point. You said "After reading Rivals.com concerning the dearth..." The benefit of recruiting MT is that there is FBS talent that flies under the radar and we don't have to compete with other FBS schools to get them here or even offer them full scholarships. If you don't like Montana HS football that's fine... Your opinion.

Both the Montana schools (UM and msu) will miss on some players that have much skill etc. but that is a fact. All kids just don't pencil out as seniors and can get over looked. Add in injury, work effort, brain skill and other factors it has been and will always be the way it is. "Can't get em all!"

Umista said:
Both the Montana schools (UM and msu) will miss on some players that have much skill etc. but that is a fact. All kids just don't pencil out as seniors and can get over looked. Add in injury, work effort, brain skill and other factors it has been and will always be the way it is. "Can't get em all!"

Yep kid out of Helena walked on at Wyo started on the line a couple of years and is now an NFL free agent signee this fall

Another kid from Billings west is starting on the OLINE at SEC Missouri. Montana showed absolutely no interest and MSU talked about a walk on thing.

happens often

billings_poke said:
Umista said:

Yep kid out of Helena walked on at Wyo started on the line a couple of years and is now an NFL free agent signee this fall

Another kid from Billings west is starting on the OLINE at SEC Missouri. Montana showed absolutely no interest and MSU talked about a walk on thing.

happens often

The Billings West kid was on the local news (southwest montana) recently. He himself said he played TE at West and that he had NO hands, that he basically served as an extra Offensive Tackle on the end of the line of scrimmage blocking for West. He visited UM (don't remember what the deal was with MSU...billingspoke sounds correct) and said he didn't feel wanted. And why would a TE with no hands feel wanted on the FCS level in my opinion? So he said it was one of those deals where do you go where you feel you aren't wanted or do you go where you feel you would be wanted. So he walked-on at Missouri, hit the weight room with abandon, and is now entering his senior year starting OL. He hasn't cut his hair since he moved there, he's a crowd favorite. And he sounds like a quality, quality kid. For example, he said chose physics for his major, because he didn't want anyone to say that he is just going to college to play football. He wasn't having any of that, he wanted to be seen as a hard worker. I was impressed with him! Just goes to show that some high school prospects aren't at a certain level yet, until they make themselves at that level and beyond later through a ton of hard work, (Anderson, Mariani, ect. ect. ect.) And let's face another fact, schools only have so many scholarships per year, so schools have to let a lot of quality kids look elswhere. Man I wish the FCS allowed 85 scholarships!!

Back