• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Missoulas Die Hard Fans, just go for spectacle

Sweetwyne

First round playoff game, probably the last game at washington griz and how many fans do we get????

Uh,,, 16000+. I find this to be embarrasing. The North End zoners here will talk about how loud the crowd was but it goes to show how fickle and fairweather lots of fans are in missoula and western montana.

So over 4000 fans just go to hang out and have a good time at the tailgate parties, drink some beer and other BS.

Dont tell me how hardcore our love of griz football is.

I am not talking about people on this board who, if you hate hauck or want to have his baby, are true griz fans

16,000 was a downer!!!! That's one of the downsides of having a playoff game on Thanksgiving weekend...very few students (no Cotton Eyed Joe guy), people traveling to be with their families and of course the dreade hunting season. In 2001 we gained attendance with every playoff game, I expect we might have done the same this year had we pulled out the win :cry:

You're really nitpicking and sounding spoiled here. Sure, UM "only" got 16,000+ last Saturday. Most schools would die to get even one game be that well-attended. It was, in fact, the highest-drawing game in the playoffs last weekend.

Echoing Grizfnz
It was a holiday weekend, we always get a small crowd on this weekend. Students are home, and people are traveling. Besides, it was loud and everyone there really got into the game.

Hey... too-sweet-wine... you'd better check your facts. EVERY first round playoff game that's been held the Saturday after Thanksgiving hasn't been near a sell-out! This year's was an improvement over last year's. The students not being in town... several people are out of town for the holiday... hunting...shopping...whatever. This first game is always low in numbers and if you have been going to the games for many years you would know this. Don't make the assumption that the Griz are losing their fans.. there is nothing to be embarrased about. Did you know that only 4,000 people showed up for the Colgate/UMass game?

Northern Iowa sold 16,000 seats for their game vs MSU and only 10,000 showed up. You just don't get the people who travel across the state to these games. Any other weekend and it is sold out.

Loved seeing the cats lose to N Iowa granted a team I'm not fond of but hey they played the cats.
I wasn't impressed with the noise they brag about. " you think it's loud in Wash Griz stadium etc..." not impressed.
I was impressed that they named the field after the boosters that supply them with the most recruits 'Sheriff Field"

Sweetwyne....

"So over 4000 fans just go to hang out and have a good time at the tailgate parties, drink some beer and other BS."

Not true at all. I went to take a leak just before the blocked kick (assuming he would make it and I would be back for the next round). I watched the block from the concourse level. There was no sense in trying to get back to my seat (upper north end zone) as I knew my fiancee would bring my stuff.

I was the first one out of the stadium by a few minutes. There was NOBODY in the tailgate areas. Not one soul. Makes me think twice about leaving all my tailgate stuff unlocked.

anyone that's been around knows that the first round has the smallest crowd, hell it's Thanksgiving.

My only disapointment (besides the loss) was that the Sugarbears weren't there. :(

I heard there was a holiday last weekend... I had assumed that quite a few of the people who normally come to the games just had their priorities screwed up (how could you think that spending time with out-of-town or -state family is as important as the Griz?), but now I see that they're all just fairweather fans. Glad that's cleared up!

Sweetwyne said:
First round playoff game, probably the last game at washington griz and how many fans do we get????

Uh,,, 16000+. I find this to be embarrasing. The North End zoners here will talk about how loud the crowd was but it goes to show how fickle and fairweather lots of fans are in missoula and western montana.

So over 4000 fans just go to hang out and have a good time at the tailgate parties, drink some beer and other BS.

Dont tell me how hardcore our love of griz football is.

I am not talking about people on this board who, if you hate hauck or want to have his baby, are true griz fans

Ummm, Thanksgiving vacation and we still pulled more than most IAA schools did on their best days this year.

So calm down, hop in your t-topped transam, throw in some shitty butt rock band from the 80s that Randy Rhoades played in (take your pick I can think of about three of them) and calm down. Most of the tailgaiters have more "Griz" running through their veins than Rhoades had heroin, so leave them be.

PolsonGrizFan said:
My only disapointment (besides the loss) was that the Sugarbears weren't there.

In NCAA rules there are only allowed 12 dancers during the playoffs. This is why they weren't there. Trust me, I looked into this :)

Now Chris....why doesn't that suprise me. :D

The NCAA reminds me of Nazi Germany, (ok maybe not quite) but all the strange rules, like the announcer can't scream, THAT'S ANOTHER 1ST DOWN..... my son flipped out when he first heard that, he thought the announcer was sick or upset, I tried to explain to him but he's only 8. I also tried to show him that the ads in the corners were replaced with :puke: NCAA or a bunch of rolling balls of fire.

Remember when they tried to take the cannon away. (Well, now come to think of it they did take it away one playoff season.)

I'm surprised they don't have to put a brown paper bag over Monte.

But the worst offense by the NCAA is the rule that ended up me not being able to see the :B-fly: Sugarbears!! Hell I was in the 5th row!!!!! :mad: with a video camera!!!!!

What in the world is the reason for not allowing your dancers at a playoff game or only 12? Are they afraid that the Sugarbears will distract the visiting team? :eek: Have to side with you guys on that one. Real stupid in my opinion.

I don't think you can blame the out of towners for low attendance. Because of the Turkey Day obligations, we wound up driving through three states to get to the game. And I spoke with a few out of town fans that showed up last week simply because tickets were easy to get. It was their first game of the season. One things for sure, Missoula does not, cannot, fill that stadium by itself. Too bad it ended so soon.

I have been wondering for some years now why the NCAA just doesn't scrap holding the first round of playoffs on Thanksgiving weekend. They obviously lose money due to a large segment of the fan base not being able to attend the games due to other obligations. They should give the teams in the playoff field a bye week prior to the playoffs. I do realize that delaying the playoffs one week would put the NC into the X-MAS holiday. I know that finals for the students and players are always a big consideration, but its not like the 1-AA NC is the only football being played over the holidays what with all the bowl games being played. I don't know what the acceptable solution would be, but seems if the NCAA wants to maximize their profit potential they might be best served by scheduling the first round (which involves the largest fan base) so as not to conflict with Thanksgiving. Maybe my logic is flawed, but seems it would be more profitable to cash in on the fan base of 16 teams the week after TD (Turkey Day) as compared to the fan base of two teams playing the NC just before or after X-MAS.

Back